2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i xdrive & 550i xDrive ... is it worth it?

06-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

535i xdrive & 550i xDrive ... is it worth it?

I heard that the 535i xdrive & 550i xDrive will come out in October. Is it worth it to get this edition? I am new to BMW so this is the first time I heard about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Do you want AWD or RWD? That's the only issue here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

no active steering or sport tranny in x versions, has me on the fence, i thought that my 33xi would be great in the snow (it was) but i am not feeling it anymore. i will order a optioned out 550i for oct delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Do you want AWD or RWD? That's the only issue here.
Is the RWD faster at acceleration?

Which one has a more comfortable ride?

I don't drive in a lot of hilly places so I guess the AWD is not necessary. I like fast acceleration though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
no active steering or sport tranny in x versions, has me on the fence, i thought that my 33xi would be great in the snow (it was) but i am not feeling it anymore. i will order a optioned out 550i for oct delivery
Sport tranny= paddle shifters? or is it something entirely different.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoodukoo View Post
Sport tranny= paddle shifters? or is it something entirely different.
dunno if you can get the paddles w/o sport trans yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

I'm on the fence with this as well. People are saying Dynamic & Sport packages are a must, but the AWD version doesn't have these available.

My main concern is that during the 6 days during the year that we see heavy snowfall in NYC, I won't be able to get on the road without AWD. My current car is FWD, and it performs well in the snow.

Can anyone shed some light on the pros/cons to either side?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I drove the 535i w/o sport, and the 550i w/ sport. I can say the 535 w/o sport made me never want to drive the f10 again. Luckily I got into the 550 w/ sport, and it somewhat renewed my faith in the platform.

Currently I have a 335xi, and make use of the AWD here in snow country. If the 550xi was not available with the sport suspension (which was the case in the e90's) I'm not sure what I'll do. Probably get the 550i and slap an x-drive badge on it so the Sheriff will let me up the canyon when it snows

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
bernpep
BMWCCA member #2429
Rep
Drives: '12M.C.Blue M3, '16 targa 4S

First, no paddles unless you order sport tranny.
Second, unless you live at the top of a mountain and need to get up there before the plow then order the xi.
Otherwise man up & just put snows on the 550i.
It will go thru a foot of snow w/ no problems.
You will also end up w/ a better, lighter, & faster car. This awd thing is getting out of hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Whistler
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

This has been my solution for the last 10 years commuting and living in northern NJ driving a sport package equipped 325is, 328i, and now a brand new 535i: buy the RWD version and get yourself a set of high quality snow tires (mounted on modest quality or cheap rims). I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks at tirerack.com- they arrive at your doorstep, via UPS, mounted on the rims, balanced and ready to go.

For me, there are a few reasons for this- slightly better gas mileage on the i vs. the xi, slightly lower vehicle weight, less drivetrain complexity means maybe less long term repair issues, less wear on expensive run-flats, but most important- my snow tires have turned my prior 3 series into a superstar on the snowy roads.

Modern snow tires are engineering marvels- special cold weather compounds to keep the tires pliable, independently mobile tread blocks for better grip, channels to sweep away ice & slush, narrower widths, etc. They work and they work well. 4WD/AWD, quite frankly, doesn't mean much if the tires on those wheels are not engineered for the poor weather or road conditions.

Obviously, this solution is not for everyone. There is the question of storing 4 extra tires. There is also the issue of transport if you are going to take them to a garage to have them changed. I have to tell you, a friend showed me how to change the tires myself- it is laughably easy and takes about 45 minutes. You will need a jack- I bought one at Sears for $80. I had (& still have) minimal knowledge about any kind of car repair. There is also a real sense of manly satisfaction in changing one's own tires.

The results are well worth it. The car handles like a snowmobile. A few years ago we had a November snowfall and it happened before I put the snow tires on. It took all I had that day just to keep my 328i (with the low profile sport tires) moving in a straight line on a flat road. Couldn't even get it up the last hill to my house- with and without DSC turned on. With the snow tires on, it is a completely different car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Snow tires and RWD are great on a BMW in the east / midwest. I did it for years before moving to the rockies. Here, we log 500+ inches of snow, and you aren't allowed up the canyons most days without AWD or chains. I'm not into putting chains on my bimmer! :lol

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Hoss NY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2000 BMW E39 528i  [0.00]
2002 BMW X5 3.0  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
This has been my solution for the last 10 years commuting and living in northern NJ driving a sport package equipped 325is, 328i, and now a brand new 535i: buy the RWD version and get yourself a set of high quality snow tires (mounted on modest quality or cheap rims). I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks at tirerack.com- they arrive at your doorstep, via UPS, mounted on the rims, balanced and ready to go.

For me, there are a few reasons for this- slightly better gas mileage on the i vs. the xi, slightly lower vehicle weight, less drivetrain complexity means maybe less long term repair issues, less wear on expensive run-flats, but most important- my snow tires have turned my prior 3 series into a superstar on the snowy roads.

Modern snow tires are engineering marvels- special cold weather compounds to keep the tires pliable, independently mobile tread blocks for better grip, channels to sweep away ice & slush, narrower widths, etc. They work and they work well. 4WD/AWD, quite frankly, doesn't mean much if the tires on those wheels are not engineered for the poor weather or road conditions.

Obviously, this solution is not for everyone. There is the question of storing 4 extra tires. There is also the issue of transport if you are going to take them to a garage to have them changed. I have to tell you, a friend showed me how to change the tires myself- it is laughably easy and takes about 45 minutes. You will need a jack- I bought one at Sears for $80. I had (& still have) minimal knowledge about any kind of car repair. There is also a real sense of manly satisfaction in changing one's own tires.

The results are well worth it. The car handles like a snowmobile. A few years ago we had a November snowfall and it happened before I put the snow tires on. It took all I had that day just to keep my 328i (with the low profile sport tires) moving in a straight line on a flat road. Couldn't even get it up the last hill to my house- with and without DSC turned on. With the snow tires on, it is a completely different car.
Well put. This is my strategy exactly.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post

+1.

I've used four winter tires on all my Bimmers and the cars have been awesome in the snow. (Boston area here.) I had two VW GTIs while I had the two V8 E39s -- and in really awful weather, I took the Bimmers. The BMWs were less likely to skid, the skids were less violent, and they were easier to recover. (By the way, both of my GTIs had stability control.)

One icy day last year, I was behind a FWD car that had to stop on ice to avoid an SUV that was partially off the road around a blind curve. (So much for the invulnerability of SUVs.) The moron in the FWD car behind me almost rear-ended me. He didn't "get it" that the entire hill was iced over, as he almost hit me two more times. The only reason he didn't was that I drove out of the way. Twice. That was in icy conditions, RWD, 414-HP car, but with four winter tires. I had much better control than he did. Thank you to the BMW stability control developers, and whoever keeps vigil on the 50/50 balance principle.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to spring for the rwd after hearing your input
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Who says "Dynamic & Sport packages.....the AWD version doesn't have these available"? The dealer I am speaking to says until the pricing is on their system, nobody is 100% certain what will be offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon ExAudi Guy View Post
Who says "Dynamic & Sport packages.....the AWD version doesn't have these available"? The dealer I am speaking to says until the pricing is on their system, nobody is 100% certain what will be offered.
I don't believe the previous AWD 5 series had it either
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

BMW says
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

For CarBrain in God's country . . . er, San Diego . . . there's no reason to consider xDrive unless you're heading up to Mammoth routinely.

For those of us in more snowy climates, it looks as though the F10 xDrives will have the dynamic suspension and the sport package (which is really just cosmetic) options, however the manual transmission, the automatic transmission with paddles and the active steering options will not be available. And like the other posters, my five 5ers have handled Boston winters with four good snow tires just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
For CarBrain in God's country . . . er, San Diego . . . there's no reason to consider xDrive unless you're heading up to Mammoth routinely.

For those of us in more snowy climates, it looks as though the F10 xDrives will have the dynamic suspension and the sport package (which is really just cosmetic) options, however the manual transmission, the automatic transmission with paddles and the active steering options will not be available. And like the other posters, my five 5ers have handled Boston winters with four good snow tires just fine.
I was told dynamic suspension wasn't planned for xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
E70MGU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

I'm on the fence myself on whether x-drive is worth it. Read others opinions and not sure which way to go.

I live in central PA, near Harrisburg. We get decent snows most years, some ice. I have a 2004 X3 right now and have had a great experience with x-drive. Gotten me out of a few hairy situations where the front wheels took hold and pulled me through difficult conditions. But for only 8-12 weeks of the year, should I just go with RWD?
Before the X3, I had a 1993 318i sedan that was awful in any precip, even with snows on all four wheels, it was worthless.

Right now, planning on the two Premium packages and comfort access as my only additions to a 535, not looking at sport or DHP. I'm not a racer or feel the need extra handling in turns. Just my opinion.

I don't want to sink $60K-$70K into a great car and regret going one way or the other. This thread has been a great help already, looking forward to more opinions.

Cheers, Michael
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
g$m
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Planes & Trains

XDrive or Snow tires

for you guys who use snow tires and don't have problems...
do you drive in hilly areas or mostly flat roads?

I do a lot of driving in Hilly areas and the roads are all up and down and some of them are pretty steep.
I would hate to have problems in the winter-
Ideally I would get Xdrive with MT - but from what I am seeing I don't think that will be an option??

thanks
-G
Appreciate 0