2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media LSturbointeg's slow & long journey of full detailing using Chemical Guy's!

08-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #67
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
Dude, how many miles do you have on your car? Based on the lack of chips and pitting in your front bumper, it looks like you just drove it off the lot.
66K on a 2011 so i don't know if that's considered high mileage? i don't drive it during winter season so from Dec-Mar it's hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
You've inspired me man! Just received half of the items I ordered from chemical guys. Will be interesting when I do my write up as it's going to be using the same exact equipment/items but on an alpine white car.
BRO that's AWESOME! like i said, take your time. i will say it was a learning process using the DA polisher for the first time. i started getting a pretty good feel for it after seeing how it reacts to pressure and the way you hold it. if you want to save your back and knees i highly recommend that mechanic's stool i picked up from Harbor Freight unless you have one already. plus i use the underneath tray to hold the polish, pad conditioner and a microfiber towel. i wasted quite a few microfiber towels because i left them on the car and they kept sliding off to the ground and you know once it hits the ground is no good to use!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 08-11-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #68
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
Dude, how many miles do you have on your car? Based on the lack of chips and pitting in your front bumper, it looks like you just drove it off the lot.
66K on a 2011 so i don't know if that's considered high mileage? i don't drive it during winter season so from Dec-Mar it's hibernating

Quote:
You've inspired me man! Just received half of the items I ordered from chemical guys. Will be interesting when I do my write up as it's going to be using the same exact equipment/items but on an alpine white car.
BRO that's AWESOME! like i said, take your time. i will say it was a learning process using the DA polisher for the first time. i started getting a pretty good feel for it after seeing how it reacts to pressure and the way you hold it. if you want to save your back and knees i highly recommend that mechanic's stool i picked up from Harbor Freight unless you have one already. plus i use the underneath tray to hold the polish, pad conditioner and a microfiber towel. i wasted quite a few microfiber towels because i left them on the car and they kept sliding off to the ground and you know once it hits the ground is no good to use!
Good advice. Definitely will take my time and funny you mention the stool. I actually bought the same stool and same rack you bought from HF lol I was serious when I said you inspired me lol only thing I have different is that I bought Garry dean infinite use detail juice instead of CG's stuff. Haven't bought the pad conditioner though is it really worth it??
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #69
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Ordered one pad of each: orange, white, and black but Amazon sent me a bundle of 12 white pads by accident lol so yea I have a ton
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DDD311649.00
      08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #70
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Now that's what I'm talking about! I was going to order Gary Dean's too but I totally forgot! You can use that as pad conditioner instead...just one spray after you apply the five pea sized product onto the hexlogic pad. Can't believe you bought the same cart and stool you're gonna love it I bet you did like me and stare at all the stuff with a big smile what's the one between the Leather Conditioner and the ButterWet Wax?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #71
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Alright... another 4 more hours into this so I finished up stage 2 and I'm on stage 3 which is the final finish. I'm using CG's V38 with the Black Hexlogic pad. The V38 actually last much longer as you can keep polishing to your liking. Really can't wait to finish this step as Black Light will be next. This will make the paint look wet! Than I'll seal it with JetSeal Sealant.

Total hours: 20
Appreciate 1
DDD311649.00
      08-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #72
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
I see you're doing the car piece meal. Doesn't it get dusty in between? How are you dealing with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Just a little bit. If your getting a lot of dust your pad needs to be cleaned
Gene, I think Xxanipuri's question is more to do with the dust accumulating on your car between treatments as you seem to be doing only half of the car each time, based on the panels you refer to. I'm imagining you are using a Microfiber Cloth and/or Quick Detailer to dust it off before you start on the rest of the car the following day.
E36 328 Convertible - Montreal Blue
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #73
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'll be looking out for that thread too
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #74
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Wow, car looks awesome!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #75
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet in Oz View Post
Gene, I think Xxanipuri's question is more to do with the dust accumulating on your car between treatments as you seem to be doing only half of the car each time, based on the panels you refer to. I'm imagining you are using a Microfiber Cloth and/or Quick Detailer to dust it off before you start on the rest of the car the following day.
Yes, before I start anything I use the detailers spray on any panels I'll be working on to make sure they are nice and clean. I do notice some dust build up around the car and I'm thinking that's what's probably coming off the DA as I'm going around the panels. Like the windows are covered with dust and I haven't even wiped those off. What I'll end up doing is after the 3rd step in the paint correction is to take the car to the car wash and just use the high pressure wash to get everything off. All that build up is from either the V32 on certain panels but mostly from the V34. The V36 isn't too had and the V38 doesn't dust at all. I still have the Hood, roof, front bumper to do left.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #76
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Yes, before I start anything I use the detailers spray on any panels I'll be working on to make sure they are nice and clean. I do notice some dust build up around the car and I'm thinking that's what's probably coming off the DA as I'm going around the panels. Like the windows are covered with dust and I haven't even wiped those off. What I'll end up doing is after the 3rd step in the paint correction is to take the car to the car wash and just use the high pressure wash to get everything off. All that build up is from either the V32 on certain panels but mostly from the V34. The V36 isn't too had and the V38 doesn't dust at all. I still have the Hood, roof, front bumper to do left.
That is what i meant!

go invest in a pressure washer

that will make quick work of getting all the residue off.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #77
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
That is what i meant!

go invest in a pressure washer

that will make quick work of getting all the residue off.
Will do...it's on the list
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #78
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Alright fellows! I'm 95% done on the 3rd step paint correction all I have left is the pillars and the roof. I'll hit it tomorrow but what I'll be doing in the morning is washing the wheels so I can apply Dr Beasley's Matte Wheel Sealant. Oh, i forgot to mention the other night but my CG White hexlogic pad took a $hit so on my way to the gym this morning I stopped by good old Harbor Freight because I couldn't wait for it to be shipped from Chemical Guys and I needed the pad already for later on. HF didn't have any white pads but they did have a blue one which is also a polishing pad. I also ended up picking up an impact gun as I'm in the middle of lifting my Nissan Titan on a 9" lift suspension on 35" mud tires too many hobbies lol! So the HF blue pad to my surprise worked well at first. I managed to hit the rear bumper, both driver's side doors and the fender before the pad did this! I guess for $6 what more can you ask for? It was enough to finish that part of the job.

Total hours: 24

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 08-12-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
DDD311649.00
      08-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #79
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If anyone's into trucks here's part of the suspension lift. Maxtrac 6.5" Spindle lift, Radflo coilovers, Dirt King UCA's, PRG end links, PRG 1.5" spacer, 4" block, PRG Deaver C-30, CJD Traction Bars, Bilstein 5125's sitting on Fuel Hostage 20×10 -24mm wrapped in 35's Atturo Trail MT'z wheels and tires should be in next week

Here's the wheels I'm waiting for

Truck should look like this when it's dine except silver
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:53 PM   #80
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Alright... finished the pillars and the roof!

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #81
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So now that im done with the paint correction here's where I started to use the Black light now which is pretty much a glaze that will fill in any scratches that couldn't be corrected. I started with two panels at a time. Let it sit for 20 min than wipe off with a microfiber towel. While im waiting for that 20 min I started to work on the wheels using Clean Slate to remove/strip all the waxes and what not on the wheels.

Okay with the wheels cleaned and stripped it's now time to use Dr Beasley's Matte Wheel Sealant.

So let me tell you what a difference it makes. Before I would use just a Meguair's Detailer spray just to detail them and it would leave it glossy instead of matte. Hard to show in pictures but it looks so different to leave them a true matte finish! Meguiars would just make them too glossy.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #82
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So here's the Black Light results. WOW! it's almost glass like. The reflections are just getting sharper and sharper! I wasn't sure how much clearer and shinier can it get when it was already shiney from the previous step? But if you ever try this yourself you'll see what I mean as it's hard to capture with pictures when viewing it with your own eyes will say a million words.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:51 PM   #83
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So up next is JetSeal Sealant which will seal everything up and is good for a year. Suppose to protect the paint from harsh elements like rain, dirt, grime, bird poop and also protect from the sun's UV rays not much difference with getting even shinier with this stuff. I did have to wait 20 min for curing time. While I was waiting I went and started working on the leather interior

CG's leather cleaner. I used the special horse hair brush I bought from CG so I don't damage the leather using to hard of a scrubbing brush

Followed by the leather conditioner which I used an applicator pad and just applied to all the leather throughout the car

What a difference! The Meguiars all in one leather cleaner/conditioner just doesn't compare! My leather interior looks brand new again. Also smells like new leather
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #84
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Soooooooo.....FINALLY! the last step in this long journey is applying the wax....ButterWet Wax which by the way, smells sooooo darn good

I can't put into words what I'm seeing because even when I bought the car the paint didn't look like this!

Thanks everyone for taking this journey along with me starting at 8am and finishing at 9pm that brings me to a total of 31 hours! if anyone has any questions feel free to ask I'm no expert but I think I did pretty good for my first time

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 08-14-2016 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jet in Oz184.50
      08-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #85
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Dang it! I know what I forgot to do! Spray the Stripper Scent

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #86
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Dang it! I know what I forgot to do! Spray the Stripper Scent

Do it now but let the wife see you do it and also smell it first. You don't want a 'please explain' later on
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #87
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Soooooooo.....FINALLY! the last step in this long journey is applying the wax....ButterWet Wax which by the way, smells sooooo darn good

Thanks everyone for taking this journey along with me starting at 8am and finishing at 9pm that brings me to a total of 31 hours! if anyone has any questions feel free to ask I'm no expert but I think I did pretty good for my first time
Fark, it's soooo deep gloss and wet lookin
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #88
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Looks fantastic!!!

Now you can't drive it or take it outside for fear of getting it dirty/scratched.....

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1