2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Electric (Power) Boot (Trunk)

12-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Loko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Electric (Power) Boot (Trunk)

Hi folks,

Just got a 525d Touring and still getting to grips with it all.

It has the electric boot (trunk for you yanks out there!) and I am trying to figure out if it's working properly. If I press the boot button on the remote it unlocks the glass hatch but doesn't open it automatically. If I press the button for the glass hatch on the car, again it unlocks but doesn't open. If I press the button on the boot lid (above the registration) then the entire boot lid opens automatically. If I press the button for the boot opening in the car itself, by the bonnet release (hood! ) nothing happens. I've seen YouTube videos were both the glass on its own or the entire lid will open automatically.

Now I believe this may be coding, but wanted to check if the glass hatch auto opening might be broken or not.

Is the entire boot lid assembly opening mechanism shared with the glass hatch? i.e. since the entire boot lid opens automatically ok, is everything in order? or is the glass hatch opening mechanism separate and hence broken?

Alternatively, can the glass hatch be coded not to open automatically and hence this is likely how my car is coded? I actually don't mind how it behaves at the mo if the mechanisms are shared, since it allows me to gain fast access to the boot without waiting for the motor and without inducing wear. I'm mainly asking since I'd like to have it fixed under warranty (car has 1 year approved used car warranty) if there is indeed something wrong.

I've had a look at various forums and haven't found the answer!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

It may be firmware issue. I do not have F11, but my F10 had trunk issues that were resolved with software update.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

You can change the settings for the action of the remote fob buttons in iDrive, and also check/adjust how far the boot is set to open - it may have been set to minimum due to previous owner having limited garage space.

The glass should open fully when buttons pressed (have you checked the glass open button under the lip of the rear wiper mount?) so I would check with the dealer for either a firmware issue or failure in the electrics/hydraulics.
Appreciate 0