2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Brake dust front wheels All the Time!

03-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Pstephana
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Brake dust front wheels All the Time!

I've owned a X5 in the past with the V8 motor on 20" wheels. Currently I own a 2011 F10 535i with 75k miles.
Both Bimmers have had (in my opinion) excessive brake dust collect on the front wheels. There always seems to be more in front then the rear.
Is it the pads?
Is it related to the front brakes having greater percentage of braking power?
Why? Feedback? BMW Experts?

Any suggestions to help reduce the dust without compromising the function of the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

BMW dust heavily because of the braking compounds chosen which give consistent and confident braking bite every time over a wide range of temperatures.

Front brakes generally do about 70% of the vehicles braking and have larger friction consumables thus generate more dust. The vast majority of brake dust is actually brake rotor dust, not brake pad dust.

There are no options available to reduce dust without compromising brake pedal feel and initial bite. Akebono are a popular brand for near dustless pads, but the pedal feel, initial bite and overall braking performance is positively abysmal.
Appreciate 6
      03-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
One option with which I've had good success is using Wheel Wax. This coating repels brake dust and makes the wheels much easier to clean. There are several other good wheel coating options available these days.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
One option with which I've had good success is using Wheel Wax. This coating repels brake dust and makes the wheels much easier to clean. There are several other good wheel coating options available these days.
Yup... Been using this for years. With Wheel Wax there is no need for special wheel cleaners; regular car wash soap easily removes any dirt from the wheel. I've even used plain water to remove any deposits.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
BMW dust heavily because of the braking compounds chosen which give consistent and confident braking bite every time over a wide range of temperatures.

Front brakes generally do about 70% of the vehicles braking and have larger friction consumables thus generate more dust. The vast majority of brake dust is actually brake rotor dust, not brake pad dust.

There are no options available to reduce dust without compromising brake pedal feel and initial bite. Akebono are a popular brand for near dustless pads, but the pedal feel, initial bite and overall braking performance is positively abysmal.
What he said. anyone interested in a very thorough lesson on these German OEM brake pads should take a look at this thread here:https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Brake-Upgrade

the dude I spoke with worked for Ferodo and basically went on to say how these dusty German brake pads are a very good material that effectively massaging your rotor everytime they come into contact because this compound is less abrasive on your rotor which is obviously good. So don't complain and keep the rims clean!
Appreciate 1
bake601.50
      03-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Having owned multiple BMW, Audi, and Mercedes over the years, I am pretty sure a major component of all German OEM brake pads is soot or coal, because they all put out black dust like crazy.

Stuck was pretty much on target, you aren't going to find a pad that bites hard and at the same time puts out little dust. You can probably find a pad that has near or equal performance to OEM and dusts a little bit less. I have run Axxis Metalmasters/XBG and Porterfield R4S on other cars. A lot of people swear by EBC pads. You are just going to have to poke around, see if you can find some consensus, and eventually take someone else's word for it.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0