2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum All your 550i GT questions answered here!

01-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
sorick
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

All your 550i GT questions answered here!

If you have any questions or want any specific pictures about the GT 550i, please feel free to ask here. There are only 2000 of these cars coming to the USA this year and I don't want to be the only one.
      01-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
sorick
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

550i GT and Tint

So I decided to get tint put on my GT and in doing so I came to find out the following issues:

1. Computer Cut Database - Being a brand new vehicle and only out for a few weeks now, the GT isn't in the database for computer cutting tint. No one knew when it would get in the database or how it is done. So I resolved this by finding a pro tint shop who still does hand cutting.

2. Dot Matrix On Windows - Dot Matrix are the small black grading dots on the edge of some of the windows on the car. (I was also told by some guy that they are there for robot arms to grab on to them, but I didn't buy that.) Since all 4 doors are frameless there is Dot Matrix all around and on the rear window. The Tint only sticks to the glass so there is a white effect to the tint where the Matrix is. My solution to this was to trust my tint guy who took his time, about 2 hrs, and make sure it was as covered as possible. I have also read on the blogs that there are other solutions to this such as black tape and sanding the matrix down but honestly now that its done I will never notice.

3. Sedan or Wagon: This really isn't an issue to me but to different tint places they priced the job differently. See, since the GT has 4 doors its considered a 4 door Tint Job, but some might see it as a wagon because there are 4 windows on each side, for a total of 9 not including the wind shield. My guy charged me for 4 door car.

In conclusion: I got metallic tint at 37% and am pretty happy with it. I would have probably liked darker but MD has 35% legality issue. I am not sure when the computer cut database will be updated but if someone gets it done let us know.

I will post pictures when the weather cooperates better

Last edited by sorick; 01-22-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorick View Post
1. Computer Cut Database - Being a brand new vehicle and only out for a few weeks now, the GT isn't in the database for computer cutting tint. No one knew when it would get in the database or how it is done. So I resolved this by finding a pro tint shop who still does hand cutting.
I would turn and run from any shop that didn't/couldn't handcut tint. Seriously
Appreciate 0