2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Has anyone bought www.DVDinmotion.com software?

07-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #177
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

I recently got the (over-priced and under-featured) iPhone 4 snap in media adapter. I loaded a video onto my iPhone to see how watching video works.

If I select External Devices>Plugin (iPhone 4), I get the iPod music interface (with choices for song, artist, genre, playlist, etc), but not selection for videos.

If I select External devices>iPhone (not the plug-in choice) I see the regular BMW interface, with a "film icon" which is greyed out (whether I am in park or not*). I restarted the car with the iphone in the adapter and got the film icon to be non greyed out. The video on my iphone appeared and when I selected it, I got sound only -- no video.

Am I missing something?

(* I have the DVD In Motion hack installed).

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #178
m3prep101
Rep
Drives: 11 528i

I'm looking forward to ordering my dvdinmotion.com my car is about 15 days away from the dealer so I will wait a few days till it's closer...however I do have a VIN number already.

Was there ever a group buy offered?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #179
Asphire23
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Just purchased this last night from dvdinmotion, unlocked the video in the morning and I was enjoying Shakira DVD concert on my way to work!

The instructions given was clear and the installation itself was a breeze!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #180
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Is there only me on here that can't help feeling there are some safety concerns with this ? It started out with won't this be great for passengers or to watch in traffic jams but now its more like "....so I was watching this film while driving..."

Take the last post as an example if I had shakira shaking her thang on video whilst driving to work I would fear for the safety of all drivers around me I'm guessing you had the "hips don't lie" chapter on repeat?

Whilst I am tempted to buy this software so that my missus can watch films on long trips (kids in back have iPads) I just get the feeling I'd end up gettig drawn into watching the film when I should be trying to keep my expensive depreciating asset aka the F11 on the road
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #181
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Unhappy Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
Is there only me on here that can't help feeling there are some safety concerns with this ? It started out with won't this be great for passengers or to watch in traffic jams but now its more like "....so I was watching this film while driving..."

Take the last post as an example if I had shakira shaking her thang on video whilst driving to work I would fear for the safety of all drivers around me I'm guessing you had the "hips don't lie" chapter on repeat?

Whilst I am tempted to buy this software so that my missus can watch films on long trips (kids in back have iPads) I just get the feeling I'd end up gettig drawn into watching the film when I should be trying to keep my expensive depreciating asset aka the F11 on the road
You have a point, but so can the cell phone be dangerous while driving. And the radio, power steering, A/C, power windows, etc. They are all distractions. Some of these were even outlawed early in the life of the car.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #182
Asphire23
Rep

Quote:

Nah, I strongly recommend to keep just to concerts and music videos DVD while driving. You are right however, putting on a movie is another different distractions, even if it's the SO that's watching!

But, as mspeasl said, practically anything can be a distractions. At this point, this feature is a novelty item that you can show-off to the passengers. Personally it will wear off quickly given the variety of entertainment choices this car provides.

Off-topic, did you know you can rest the ipad (with the apple cover) infront of the nav screen and connect it to the sound system via bluetooth? Put on some Netflix and that's a huge screen!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #183
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

There are countless things that distract us while driving, how about the guy eating a Whopper and fries as it drips down his shirt, or the lady putting on mascara, the heated debate or the texting driver. They are all distractions. Worst of all, the mind is a distraction, most of my "close calls" and stupid driving mistakes are a result of me simply daydreaming or drifting in thought.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal responsibility, nothing else. If you dont have the self control to run a movie for the passengers of the car without watching it then dont get it, if you have the self control then get it. Most of the movies my family would watch we own and I have seen them countless times already but the kids like them, there is no draw for me. I certainly wouldnt play a movie I have been looking forward to watching for the first time. In some ways its like an audio book, put it in and listen to the dialogue while others get to watch.

I plan on buying this now, I have asked that the creators tweak a few other things like the earlier discussed "radio fixer" and "speed limit info" I am just waiting on a response.

Last edited by delvek; 07-07-2011 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #184
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
You have a point, but so can the cell phone be dangerous while driving. And the radio, power steering, A/C, power windows, etc. They are all distractions. Some of these were even outlawed early in the life of the car.
Power steering, a distraction??? Please explain.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #185
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
i don't think power steering, A/C, power windows are in the same category of distraction as say, the cell phone or playing a movie on the in dash screen not really understanding your point there....and i wasn't really trying to start a debate on in car distractions as such...trust me i drive an automatic so that i have more chance to use the in-car toys safely with a manual shift it would be difficult to drive, play with the sat nav and talk on the phone simultaneously....the go-kart stop/go driving the auto provides is perfect for me

don't get me wrong, i AM tempted to buy this hack my point (probably badly made and worded) for discussion is do people with this "hack" installed find themselves over time being drawn to the screen to actually watch the content more than they expected they would be??? I fear my temptation to watch would be too great....like delvek said...self control....even if the movie was something i'd seen dozens of times i know i'd end up taking my eyes off the road for too long for a specific scene for example. ok i think i've talked myself out of buying it now. damn.

thanks for the replies though be keen to see how people get on with it over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #186
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool Distraction.................??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Power steering, a distraction??? Please explain.
Please see my explanation below.........

Quote:
i don't think power steering, A/C, power windows are in the same category of distraction as say, the cell phone or playing a movie on the in dash screen not really understanding your point there....and i wasn't really trying to start a debate on in car distractions as such...trust me i drive an automatic so that i have more chance to use the in-car toys safely with a manual shift it would be difficult to drive, play with the sat nav and talk on the phone simultaneously....the go-kart stop/go driving the auto provides is perfect for me

thanks for the replies though be keen to see how people get on with it over time.
Yes I believe that the cell and others are.

When I was a young man my first car was a 1950 Studebaker Champion with a heater and a radio. None of the creature comforts that our new 528 has. Now with that said I'll state what I mean about PS, A/C, PW, PB/ABS, A/T, Nav, Satellite radio, etc and all of the other conveniences that we have in the modern car that create distractions. As I said my Studebaker only had a radio. But it and a inexperienced driver behind the wheel caused a rearend collision. The traffic light turned green and the car ahead of me pulled away from the stop. I too started to move forward. Then I glanced toward the radio to increase the volume and the guy for whatever the reason stopped. You can guess what happened next. That was then when we had very few distractions in a car. Today anything in a car that makes you comfortable is a distraction.... The A/T was the was probably the first big new thing that created a distraction. No longer did you have to pay attention to the clutch and gas petal while shifting into the next gear and driving the car also. The car does it for you. Then came Power steering and Power brakes. Boy were they nice. You no longer needed that big 17" steering wheel to crank around while trying to parallel park. Now some models of new cars will parallel park the car for you. Power Brakes/ABS a distraction? Yes they are. In my day you had to pay attention (remember the radio?) since the cars would not stop on a dime and give you nine cents change like they will now. Again in some models the front radar with stop the car. No longer do we have to constantly pay attention to our distance between our car and the one in front like we once did. The car will do it for us. A/C? You get to your destination pretty refreshed and not wore out from the long drive with the windows down and 100 degrees outside with the wind beating the devil out of you and the kids screaming. comfortable is a distraction You had to pay attention to your driving and depend on the wife to coral the kids.

We have become passive, lazy and distracted when driving today and we do not pay attention because of the modern car and its conveniences. So many younger drivers have no idea what it is like to be completely one with your car and not comfortable which is a distraction. Now I have given you the idea of what I mean. If you think about it you too will agree. If you don't that's okay also
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)

Last edited by mspeasl; 07-09-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #187
Bill Bonney
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
they are not long term visual distractions watching a video is.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #188
robgus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW -12

Got mine a couple of days ago and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #189
Hustjo
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540xi M

any news on the DAB activation ?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #190
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Recently purchased the dvd in motion mod from dvdinmotion.com. Before I discuss the product I want to mention that the customer contact, Lucie, is ALL about customer service. Response time was incredible and desire to have a happy customer the main focus. There was region code complication due to some modifications the local German dealer had done to correct a HUD issue that Lucie corrected for me, eliminated the need to go back to the dealer (always a good thing). As far as the product, it works excellent. Kids and wife enjoy an excellent LCD screen with incredible surround sound. I was pleased that I was able to force myself to not watch the screen, matter of fact, through the entire video of Avatar I did not look once while driving but instead listen to the audio track.

I will be doing a second review once dvdinmotion work out some kinks on additional bits of coding to fix/improve some features of the F10. I assisted them in some trial and error but will be anxiously awaiting their results after some hands on work over the coming weeks.

Feel free to hit me with a message for more specific questions/details but as for dvdinmotion, I give my satisfied recommendations.

Last edited by delvek; 08-12-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #191
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Group Buy

Hi Guys

I am looking to get more people together so we can get a better pricing on this software. I have 2 people so far. Is there anyone else interested?

Let's all get together and get a GREAT deal instead of buying it individually.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #192
EBRSKIH
Chef
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Im in
2011 550i Sapphire Black
- 12.960@109 - lemon'd
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #193
sombra_azul
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Dark Graphite II

Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Hi Guys

I am looking to get more people together so we can get a better pricing on this software. I have 2 people so far. Is there anyone else interested?

Let's all get together and get a GREAT deal instead of buying it individually.

Thanks
Count me in
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #194
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:

I repect what your saying. You feel that way because you know you will watch it for an unsafe amount of time. So being an educated person you say this is not for me. I totally respect that! I put in a SOJA DVD the other day never really looked at the screen. So for me this is totally safe. I am way better off with that DVD in then scrolling my iPod. Peace
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #195
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Well said you and I are on the same level but my car had a nice Alipne pullout tape deck. I killed that car due to my GF now wife because she was a distraction. Shit life is one. Peace

Quote:
Please see my explanation below.........

Yes I believe that the cell and others are.

When I was a young man my first car was a 1950 Studebaker Champion with a heater and a radio. None of the creature comforts that our new 528 has. Now with that said I'll state what I mean about PS, A/C, PW, PB/ABS, A/T, Nav, Satellite radio, etc and all of the other conveniences that we have in the modern car that create distractions. As I said my Studebaker only had a radio. But it and a inexperienced driver behind the wheel caused a rearend collision. The traffic light turned green and the car ahead of me pulled away from the stop. I too started to move forward. Then I glanced toward the radio to increase the volume and the guy for whatever the reason stopped. You can guess what happened next. That was then when we had very few distractions in a car. Today anything in a car that makes you comfortable is a distraction.... The A/T was the was probably the first big new thing that created a distraction. No longer did you have to pay attention to the clutch and gas petal while shifting into the next gear and driving the car also. The car does it for you. Then came Power steering and Power brakes. Boy were they nice. You no longer needed that big 17" steering wheel to crank around while trying to parallel park. Now some models of new cars will parallel park the car for you. Power Brakes/ABS a distraction? Yes they are. In my day you had to pay attention (remember the radio?) since the cars would not stop on a dime and give you nine cents change like they will now. Again in some models the front radar with stop the car. No longer do we have to constantly pay attention to our distance between our car and the one in front like we once did. The car will do it for us. A/C? You get to your destination pretty refreshed and not wore out from the long drive with the windows down and 100 degrees outside with the wind beating the devil out of you and the kids screaming. comfortable is a distraction You had to pay attention to your driving and depend on the wife to coral the kids.

We have become passive, lazy and distracted when driving today and we do not pay attention because of the modern car and its conveniences. So many younger drivers have no idea what it is like to be completely one with your car and not comfortable which is a distraction. Now I have given you the idea of what I mean. If you think about it you too will agree. If you don't that's okay also
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #196
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

I drove 5 hours one way the other week with the family. They watched Avatar and Star Wars, I dont believe I even glanced once. I listened to them both like an audio book, worked well for us.
      08-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #197
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

would it play music videos .avi .mpg files off dvd?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #198
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

I would be in for a group buy... if that ever happens. I am thinking it won't.
Appreciate 0