2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 535i ordered (UK)

09-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
viffer
Save the Manuals!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Smile F11 535i ordered (UK)

My F11 family bus is ordered. Here's the spec:

535i Touring
MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster / Black interior
Individual piano black trim
Window surrounds and roof bars in high gloss shadowline
Pro nav
Pro speakers
Xenons
Sunroof
Extended storage (specifically so I can use the internal 2-bike carrier accessory)
Retractable Towbar (specifically so I can use a tow bar-mounted bike carrier)
... yep we like bikes in my family
BMW apps
Universal remote control (gate opener)
Telephone USB audio interface
And the controversial part... Manual gearbox. Yes, I really have ordered a 3-pedal version.

Comment away, but you will not persuade me that I want the auto box! I have tried the sport auto properly (all-day test drive) and absolutely acknowledge that it's brilliant, but it doesn't suit me. I also had an Audi RS6 a while back and the main thing I disliked about that was the auto box.

Other controversial parts of the spec:

1) Petrol not diesel. Again I acknowledge that the 530d and 535d are both great, and the 530d I tried is almost certainly faster in the real world than a 535i. But I don't do mega-miles so the fuel economy is not very relevant, and having chosen Manual I prefer an engine with a wide usable rev range. 535i gives max torque all the way from 1200 to 5000 rpm which I hope /expect will work better when it's my clumsy arm doing the changes not a nice smooth auto.
This is a bit of a leap of faith - unsurprisingly a demo 535i manual was not available.

2) Just the normal M-sport suspension - no VDC, no active anti-roll bars. Will be OK I think. I don't mind a hard ride - every car I've had recently has harder suspension than the F11 M-sport, so this will seem plush. My children are brainwashed into thinking that discomfort is normal, and luckily don't get car sick.

3) Only 18" standard M wheels. We shall see how they go. Can always change later, at which point I may ditch the runflats. But will give them a proper try first.

Should be here at the beginning of December.

Cheers, Richard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Interesting specification as you say. Petrol is a peach, after trying a 535i saloon, was my engine of choice. So sweet and refined compared to the 530d diesel, really suits the car.

I can see the attraction of the manual box to really exploit the engine, but I'm happy with the paddles when I want a bit of fun.

I'm running 18" wheels on mine and they do work well along with AD. I've tried them on a 530d saloon with standard suspension and didn't find they were as good as they are with AD, on any of the settings. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Longish wait, but sure it will be worth it.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Very nice spec... However, residual value may suffer because of the manual IMO mate. You sure? Most folks want auto on such a large car. I have owned both and the auto is much nicer.
Just my opinion - each to their own...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
viffer
Save the Manuals!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster View Post
residual value may suffer because of the manual IMO mate. You sure? Most folks want auto on such a large car. I have owned both and the auto is much nicer.
Just my opinion - each to their own...
Indeed you may be right about residuals. But I long ago gave up speccing cars based on what the next owner might like. As we all know, ordering a car new is financial madness anyway, so I've probably just been a bit stupider than I could have been. But at least I get the spec I want for the time I have the car.

BTW a viable solution to the residuals problem is to exploit the fact that BMW's finance system does not appear to discriminate between sellable and less-sellable specs when calculating the final residual value. If you're OK with 5.9% APR it's possible to get a guaranteed value for 3 or 4 years hence so at least you have a known worst case.

Cheers, Richard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
viffer
Save the Manuals!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm running 18" wheels on mine and they do work well along with AD. I've tried them on a 530d saloon with standard suspension and didn't find they were as good as they are with AD, on any of the settings. Will be interesting to see what you find.
Yes, will be interesting. AD is the only option that I wavered / am wavering about. Tricky decision.

Cheers, Richard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Having tried different F10/11 models with different suspension setups, I definitely wanted AD if going for the 5-series. Works so well and I find the active roll bar part is the key to the better ride and control of the car. You can run in the normal and comfort modes and still have a car that corners on rails.

As to residuals, it is the reason I opted to buy a nearly new ex BMW HQ 535i, with less than 6k miles and loaded with kit, but with a price tag of over 40% off current list. Options on it I just could not have justified, less money than a new 3-series F31 328i touring. But have that 'peachy' 3-litre petrol and AD rather than just VDC.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0