2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Thinner Top Hat / Shock Mount For Extra Lowering

10-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Thinner Top Hat / Shock Mount For Extra Lowering

my f10 535 is currently lowered on h&r springs but the drop is not low enough.
I wanted to retain the EDC hence not going with the coilovers but it still has a gap. there's gotta be a way to make the car a bit lower somehow.
Cutting the springs will NOT be an option so please don't suggest that.

I looked at the factory top hats on top of the springs a noticed is it very thick. Is there some way we can make it thinner via shaving or slicing it in half or maybe even CNC machine the top hat to be thinner and stronger?

e90/e92 people have options like changing out the spring cups and etc but our suspension is not the same.

any suggestions and ideas are welcome
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

never seen any aftermarket top hats that are slimmer. and i wouldn't advise or think about machining down your OEM hat as now you're altering the integrity of the hat. there's a lot of tension on those springs sandwiched between the lower perch and the top hat. also when the spring compresses going over bumps and what not. honestly your best bet are coilovers!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

For a sec...I thought this was a post I had started...because for the longest time, I too was trying to avoid going over to coilovers. Same reasoning as you sweettalker, I didn't want to lose the EDC/Adaptive Suspension.

Alas, I've done the research a while back and was NOT able to find any way to get that little extra lowering. I'll bet you need just about another HALF INCH, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugellos View Post
For a sec...I thought this was a post I had started...because for the longest time, I too was trying to avoid going over to coilovers. Same reasoning as you sweettalker, I didn't want to lose the EDC/Adaptive Suspension.

Alas, I've done the research a while back and was NOT able to find any way to get that little extra lowering. I'll bet you need just about another HALF INCH, right?
Correct. Im looking for just a tad bit more.
Theres got to be a way besides coilovers..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

H&R's are the only springs in the market with the most aggressive drop. If you want to go lower than that coilovers are your only option
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I recall though...that H&R's have TWO different lowering spring variants.

The ones I happen to be selling are the "Sport Lowering" variant which has the more aggressive drop of the two.

The other variant has less drop.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have the sport springs. Still not low enough
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
I have the sport springs. Still not low enough
Essentially what I'm selling here... http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430261
is the setup you have now, right?

I know...shameless plugging..sorry.

Last edited by zugellos; 11-02-2017 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At one point (before finally deciding on coilovers), I had the idea of fabricating a lower spring perch to effectively allow the suspension to sink another half inch.

To do this, I'd have to force the existing lower spring perch out of its original position and machine a clamp to reposition/hold it lower down.

I figured the half inch needed wouldn't come close to bottoming out the suspension. Seemed like more work than I was willing to do, so I scrapped that idea.
Appreciate 0