2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan free flow exhaust sale

09-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Dinan free flow exhaust sale

I just had a morning e-mail from Dinan about the 20% off exhaust sale this month. I haven't heard this exhaust in person and only on line. How has everyone liked this set up? Is it worth the big cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

The cost in price doesn't justify it ; very quiet with lack of sound quality in comparison to the E60 version and some droning issues become prompt even after break-in.

Either way, 20% off is very attractive lol. I loved the howl sound interpretation during the E60 days -- was hoping that quality would've existed to the F10, but it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Im not a fan, if you're going to get an exhaust, go cat back. Anything other than that seems like a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Im not a fan, if you're going to get an exhaust, go cat back. Anything other than that seems like a waste of money.
I too thought that it was a lot of money for just mufflers and minimal performance gains.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Dhu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

I have it....it really depends on what you're going for. It does have nice rumble when you want it and relatively quiet when compared with others (i.e. meister, vorsteiner, etc..) which is what I wanted. It is expensive, but I also really like the way it looks. Hard to tell if there really is a noticeable performance gain (I think more of a placebo effect) when combined with stage 3 (others have noticed it though). In anycase, I would describe it as a civilized exhaust that can definitely when you want it to....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
fab
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I would love more imput Dhu,
as I am scheduled to have dinan springs and free flow exhaust installed tomorrow.

I have to say I am still on the fence...
that exhaust is mighty expensive just for a mild sound upgrade...other brands (eisenmann, meister, vorteiner) might be too loud and might drone.

I wish there was a relatively cheap aftermarket exhaust option that makes that V8 come alive without spending 3 grand...

on another not, I have been listening to F12 650i's and it seems that their stock system is MUCH louder and deeper toned than ours...anyone else noticed?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Dhu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

fab--I sent you a PM to reply to your question.

I think there is slight drone, but what I have heard, this probably the quietest and least drone. Like you said, not many other options that are a) cheap and b) balanced in noise output.

I know it is a lot of money, but if you're going in for springs, you might want to try the shock ware...it definitely tightens up the suspension. I got the springs, shockware and have ARS, so my handling is now very acceptable. The shockware definitely makes a difference. Again, not cheap--but like I said in my previous posts....about as close as you be to a m5 for your day to day driving while saving the extra $20K. best of luck.
      09-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhu View Post
fab--I sent you a PM to reply to your question.

I think there is slight drone, but what I have heard, this probably the quietest and least drone. Like you said, not many other options that are a) cheap and b) balanced in noise output.

I know it is a lot of money, but if you're going in for springs, you might want to try the shock ware...it definitely tightens up the suspension. I got the springs, shockware and have ARS, so my handling is now very acceptable. The shockware definitely makes a difference. Again, not cheap--but like I said in my previous posts....about as close as you be to a m5 for your day to day driving while saving the extra $20K. best of luck.
Concur on that..I went and got Shockware, H&R Springs on my car after adding Stage 1 Dinan ECU upgrade last year. Initially was great but went ahead and upgraded to Stage 3 and the car really comes alive. Have an Eissenman Race Quad exhaust on the car since Stage 1 and its great especially with the car in Sport mode. Deeper rumble when starting and throughout the power band it sounds like a proper v8 sports sedan especially when you get on it. Have since upgraded to the Dinan CF Air Filter assembly and strut brace along with Dinan Intercoolers and the car is a beast when you want it yet still civilized enough for daily driving. And still at a savings on an M5 but with similar performance when not on the track at least. On the track the M5 will definitely have an edge over the Dinan 550i but not that much outside of breaks and the transmission. However honestly for track work I'd rather have something smaller like my old e93 m3 as even the F10 M5 can't get around the weight/size penatly that the chassis and physics impose I think...but like most have said and agree the M5 is able to do it better as tuned by BMW especially with the new Competition package.

The Dinan 550i is however a good effort towards it that will satisfy 99% of us other than those who MUST have the M5 badge and track their cars religiously. Can't go wrong either way...
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0