2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Anyone successfully coded F10 in the UK?

01-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #155
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Currently rebuilding the PC with a new 256SSD and Win 7, once the drivers and AV is installed...the Eys software is next, ready for the journey to Basingstoke at Easter.
Priorities eh!

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #156
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Currently rebuilding the PC with a new 256SSD and Win 7, once the drivers and AV is installed...the Eys software is next, ready for the journey to Basingstoke at Easter.
Priorities eh!
Well done.... !
      01-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #157
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
If you wish to prepare your machine (at my place during the visit), then the least you should do is
- get a E-sys license
- get a cable
- I will load E-Sys software and the PSZ data files to your laptop and then teach you to code your own car.
I think this would be the perfect solution for me
I've got a lead (well, I just need to finish the soldering), then I will get the license and get in touch with you. My list of things that I'd like coded seems to be getting longer and longer too
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #158
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolie View Post
Hi pannu. As you may be aware I have the esys software on my pc and have the lead for coding you may remember a guy from another site coded my car for me. Is there any chance you can teach/tell me how to code then maybe I can help the northern lot out..
Excellent!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #159
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

Quote:
Absolutely happy to guide you or anyone who wishes to learn coding.

The more of us who can do it, the better. This means that more people are experimenting and finding new things.. and this is good for the whole community.

Let me know when you wish to come around; and we can setup a ½ day to go through the basics...

Hi pannu that would be great but im around 300 miles from you. Is there anyway you could help via email or maybe over the phone when/if you would have time?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #160
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

Can the instrument cluster be changed to white from orange with the coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #161
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
If you wish to learn coding (or more precisely get a starter's guidance), its best that you have a laptop loaded with E-Sys. This should take up about 30-40GB space and Windows 7 is probably the best OS.
You would also need a cable (Ethernet to Diag-port).
In addition, you also need a license to run E-sys.

Have all these pre-loaded on your laptop and you are good to go... I can then teach you the basics of coding and get you started on your own car itself.

If you wish to prepare your machine (at my place during the visit), then the least you should do is
- get a E-sys license
- get a cable
- I will load E-Sys software and the PSZ data files to your laptop and then teach you to code your own car.
Where would I get a E-sys license? I have the cable and the software.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #162
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man;*****017
Where would I get a E-sys license? I have the cable and the software.
Send a PM to DreamCar

(Link to send a direct PM. You will need to sign up to the forum)
      02-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #163
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Cheers. Will do. Any hint on costs first though?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #164
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
Cheers. Will do. Any hint on costs first though?
Around US$ 40 or 50 or something similar.
      02-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #165
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, I'm nearly there with the software, where do I get a E-sys license from?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #166
Carlycolour
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d se 2011

Smile New to BMW and coding

Hi gspannu,
I am very new to this site and indeed to BMW (this is my first), I took ownership of my 2011 520d SE F10 10 days ago and am enjoying immensely. For the last week or so have been reading through the threads on the site as a guest and getting clued up on everything F10. I am extremely interested in getting some coding done, mirrors, DVD in motion etc after reading through this thread it sounds like something you may be able to help me with? I live in Cambridgeshire so would be best to do a weekend if possible. No great rush but just say I am feeling like a kid at Xmas with my new toy so when ever you would be available suits me.

Best

Carly
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #167
trebor4444
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Luxury 2013 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlycolour View Post
Hi gspannu,
I am very new to this site and indeed to BMW (this is my first), I took ownership of my 2011 520d SE F10 10 days ago and am enjoying immensely. For the last week or so have been reading through the threads on the site as a guest and getting clued up on everything F10. I am extremely interested in getting some coding done, mirrors, DVD in motion etc after reading through this thread it sounds like something you may be able to help me with? I live in Cambridgeshire so would be best to do a weekend if possible. No great rush but just say I am feeling like a kid at Xmas with my new toy so when ever you would be available suits me.

Best

Carly
Hi I am also in Cambridgeshire and took delivery of a 520d lux LCI just before Christmas. Would also be interest in coding if you are about this way or perhaps a roadtrip to a convieniant location.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #168
Carlycolour
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor4444 View Post
Hi I am also in Cambridgeshire and took delivery of a 520d lux LCI just before Christmas. Would also be interest in coding if you are about this way or perhaps a roadtrip to a convieniant location.
Hi trebor4444,
Hopefully if gspannu is able to help out I will travel to down his neck of the woods to get him to do mine for me first time, then hopefully get info of how to go about it myself. I have read almost all the posts on here regarding coding and seems a bit daunting to a non techie person as myself but may seem more confident once I've seen someone go through it in person.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #169
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi gspannu,

Best

Carly

Happy to code your cars... Send me some date ranges and let's see if we can work something out.
      03-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #170
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi trebor4444,
Hopefully if gspannu is able to help out I will travel to down his neck of the woods to get him to do mine for me first time, then hopefully get info of how to go about it myself. I have read almost all the posts on here regarding coding and seems a bit daunting to a non techie person as myself but may seem more confident once I've seen someone go through it in person.
Good idea, will guide on the basics....
      03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #171
Carlycolour
Rep

Quote:
Happy to code your cars... Send me some date ranges and let's see if we can work something out.
Exellent gspannu thank you,

Only dates I am unavailable are 23,28,29, of this month anytime otherwise.

parts are on there way for a cable. I have the esys sofware link so just need to download it on to my laptop and get a token sorted so should be good to go by the time I come to visit.

Carly
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #172
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just for ref, my dealer told me that self coding will invalidate your warranty.

I had a list of the codes I was going to use, will I take the risk on a £46k car? No chance.
One of my old school buddies was a mechanic working for a BMW dealership(now works for the RAC). I will ask him about the mechanics of coding and where BMW really stands.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #173
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

I am pretty certain that euro regs prevent a company invalidating your entire warranty in this scenario. So for example if you code your rear lights to come on with front DRL then it would be illegal for BMW to refuse an engine claim unless they could demonstrate the issue was related. The engine management software is not the same module as the QNX system management software so that would be unlikely. This is just the opinion of a layman though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #174
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajmuntz View Post
I am pretty certain that euro regs prevent a company invalidating your entire warranty in this scenario. So for example if you code your rear lights to come on with front DRL then it would be illegal for BMW to refuse an engine claim unless they could demonstrate the issue was related. The engine management software is not the same module as the QNX system management software so that would be unlikely. This is just the opinion of a layman though.
Totally agree, its a risk though. And your car could be off the road for some time whilst your fighting the mighty Germans.
Once again...is it worth it when your spending a shed load of your hard earned cash and potentially risking an expensive warranty claim being refused on a technicality?

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #175
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Just for ref, my dealer told me that self coding will invalidate your warranty.

I had a list of the codes I was going to use, will I take the risk on a £46k car? No chance.
One of my old school buddies was a mechanic working for a BMW dealership(now works for the RAC). I will ask him about the mechanics of coding and where BMW really stands.
The key question to ask is "How will the dealer find out?"

I have yet to meet a dealership (with smart enough mechanics) who understands coding; the reality is that dealers do not even know that E-Sys exists as a software. This is the software used by BMW factory technicians and dealers 'do not' have any access to this software. The software that dealers use to code/ reprogram cars is entirely different; and as far as I am aware (with my limited knowledge) there is no 'easy' way for the dealer to find out if your car has been coded.

How does the dealer prove the car has been coded?

- In my opinion, the bigger risk is that one of the car's module can become bricked as a result of coding; rathe than worrying about the possible warranty claims.

In a way, you are absolutely right; it is an expensive investment and at the end of the day - it is each individual's choice as to whether they believe the feature enablement is worth the risk or not.

A lot of features (that BMW have now started to offer as selectable options or standardised) would not have happened if enough coders had not enabled them. A lot of BMW customers having known about the coding possibilities have explored (badgered!) the same with their dealerships and eventually the message has reached BMW HQ and the features have appeared in subsequent models/ updates.
      03-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #176
Amdb9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport AW

Hi gspannu, im around 40 miles from you (Denham) and would request you to code my f10. Do you have any weekends available where I could pop over please?
Appreciate 0