2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New Shocks with Springs? Help...

08-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

New Shocks with Springs? Help...

I am getting my 2013 550 lowered soon. The shop that will be doing the work is recommending I replace the OEM shocks with a sport shock to go with the new sport springs. For those of you that are lowered, did you just have the springs installed or did you swap out the shocks as well? How long have your OEM shocks lasted? If you have replaced your shocks, I'd like to know which shocks and springs you went with. I'm not interested in this being another thread about which springs are better. There are enough of those threads already! I did consider coilovers, however, their cost and the added cost to install is out of my price range. Any help and pictures are appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I did Springs and blew out my shocks in about a day. Upgraded to Konis adjustable and life has been great.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I did Springs and blew out my shocks in about a day. Upgraded to Konis adjustable and life has been great.
Thank you for your input
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

yes, that shop is absolutely 100% correct.

I recommend you take a look at the bilstein b12 kit. very good stuff and cheap for the performance you get. I would also install some sway bars while you are in there.

if you corner aggressively, grab some dinan camber plates for the front axle so you can do a full performance oriented alignment.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
yes, that shop is absolutely 100% correct.

I recommend you take a look at the bilstein b12 kit. very good stuff and cheap for the performance you get. I would also install some sway bars while you are in there.

if you corner aggressively, grab some dinan camber plates for the front axle so you can do a full performance oriented alignment.

good luck
Thanks for the recommendation on the sway bars. I'll take a look at those. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit with the Eibach springs. I'm really leaning in that direction. It's a good price.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason49 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation on the sway bars. I'll take a look at those. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit with the Eibach springs. I'm really leaning in that direction. It's a good price.
it's not only a good price, but top notch performance suspension as well. they are really well tuned to each other and performance is excellent. I do believe they are for RWD only though.

definitely pick some sway bars as well while you are in there. easily the most effective suspension upgrade for the money.

lastly, to really transform your ride you would also need a LSD as the stock open diff is a real let-down. again, RWD only though.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason49 View Post
it's not only a good price, but top notch performance suspension as well. they are really well tuned to each other and performance is excellent. I do believe they are for RWD only though.

definitely pick some sway bars as well while you are in there. easily the most effective suspension upgrade for the money.

lastly, to really transform your ride you would also need a LSD as the stock open diff is a real let-down. again, RWD only though.
My 550 is RWD so I'll consider the additional options you mentioned. Really appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0