2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Engine oil Temperature 1-2mm to the right!

04-08-2024, 10:49 AM   #1
BarbeCan
Romania
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 520d (2015)

Engine oil Temperature 1-2mm to the right!

Hello!
I do have a issue regarding my f10 B47 2015,the temperature gauge seems to lean 1-2mm to the right,as far as I know it should stay dead center and not lean to the side,please note that a hard acceleration in Sport for example will make it drop significantly.
My question is if this Is normal since I heard that it does this in order to get better emissions/consumption.
Thank’s in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:22 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

So the top of the 6WB gauge cluster is supposed to be (90*-110*), so although not common, it's not unheard of either to be just beyond dead center. The fact that your temps decrease when you accelerate hard could be a sign that your water pump is starting to fail. For example, your N47 has a mechanical water pump. If the impeller bearing is "no longer bearing", it takes more force from the pulley to move the required amount of coolant through the engine. Another example is a partial blockage in the coolant circuit- be it corrosion in the radiator, a partially closed thermostat, etc...

I suggest you have your coolant system inspected. Overall, BMW DMEs are smart enough that even with a mechanical water pump like yours it will keep coolant temps pretty steady on target. So if you're seeing an obvious change during hard acceleration, something isn't right

Last edited by 95blkmax; 04-10-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 01:33 PM   #3
BarbeCan
Romania
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 520d (2015)

95blkmax Thank’s for the advice,just that my engine is B47 and not N,also I thought that and was told by mechanics and online that a temperature decrease in Sport for ex is intentional and done by the engine to prepare for a higher load.
Also I have to say that there is a active recall for the EGR cooler that I am still waiting on since the parts didn’t arrive yet,maybe that is the issue?
My mechanic stated that this is normal and I should not worry about it but still it’s hard for me to believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:22 PM   #4
Sam_hn
Rep
Drives: F10

I have the same issue, the only difference is that only occurs while driving on a highway (constant speed for a long time) , once I depress the gas pedal the temperature gauge drops down to the central again, I had this issue since 1 year ago and nobody gave me a reasonable explanation, anyway I monitored the WP values on bimmerlink and figured out that the WP speed what causes the variation in temperatures, not 100% sure yet plus my car is N engine with an electrical WP

If you figured it out please let us know

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 05:19 PM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Dead center is "when you can start beating on car" area. Not the normal operating temperature. Normal operating temperature should be around ~220-40*F
Appreciate 1