2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 Exhaust Cost?!?

02-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

F10 Exhaust Cost?!?

I am shocked at the cost of exhaust systems...heck even just the axle-back / muffler and tips set-up is outrageous.

Then I just discovered Turners muffler delete set-up. Which consists of maybe 10' of exhaust tubing, quad 102mm tips and 4 clamps... All for a bargain price of $1100 on sale. I should just buy two at that price.

I'm all for capitalism. But, I just can't understand the cost justification.

I guess I need to get used to the costly world of modifying a fine German machine.

Can someone share their insight or knowledge of how these systems can cost so much more than say what you can buy for an American muscle car?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Convertible

Phil,
I could not agree with you any more. I was thinking exactly what you said when I was looking through some of these posts. I'm not afraid to admit that I can't afford most of the stuff for sale on here, but I really can't imagine anyone spending that much on exhaust. I do have a muscle car and have put a Magna Flow and Flow Master system on it for a fraction of the price of what some of these companies are asking. I, like you, am also all for the free market. If people are willing to pay that kind of dough, then more power to them, but it seems like a crazy waste of cash to me.

If anyone can give Phil and I some insight as how these prices are determined, I would love the info? Is it the raw materials (titanium?), fitment, workmanship?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I am shocked at the cost of exhaust systems...heck even just the axle-back / muffler and tips set-up is outrageous.

Then I just discovered Turners muffler delete set-up. Which consists of maybe 10' of exhaust tubing, quad 102mm tips and 4 clamps... All for a bargain price of $1100 on sale. I should just buy two at that price.

I'm all for capitalism. But, I just can't understand the cost justification.

I guess I need to get used to the costly world of modifying a fine German machine.

Can someone share their insight or knowledge of how these systems can cost so much more than say what you can buy for an American muscle car?
Why do you want an exhaust ? fo power gains sound? or aesthetics?
      02-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Akrapovic, meisterschaft, and eisenmann charge ridiculous prices. Even though the sound great, I don't think it should cost 3 to 4 times of other catbacks.
Magnaflow catbacks are very reasonably priced but don't sound good on F10's, at least not on a 535i. If they tune their exhaust to sound more aggressive or exotic, they would sell tons of them.
Since you're in Philly, you may want to travel a bit to jersey and check out mufflex or ams autowerks. Muffler deleted should cost much less than turners.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

I am looking for an exhaust to let that V8 purrrrr! Just an exhaust isn't going to yield a whole lot of power to the point where I'll feel it. When I do power mods, I do them with the goal of REAL gains that I will feel and not wonder if it's a placebo affect! Since the 550 will be my daily driver, I will save the real power fun for my garage queen.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Phil, check our video section.
LSD Motorsports going to start production on a F10 550i Exhaust system.
We are going to do a group buy this month for a system, the prototype is done and a final version is being built of the actual unit itself not proto-type.

My car and another members car goes to them on the 17th, should have pics and such after about a week. So I would wait!

for now you can just check sound clips in the video section, but my car has catless downpipes so thats not the sound you will get from stock cats.

We will have a video of the unit with stock downpipes in 2 weeks or so. And a group buy.

Keep in mind also, this is a full system. that connects to your downpipes.
102mm tips too i believe. not sure though
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Thanks combat. I have taken notice of what you've been up to. I don't get my car back here in the states until Aug/Sept (June 30 ED).

So, I'll certainly wait.

Another option for me is Fabspeed. Which is 15 minutes from me. Check them out... They do some NICE work. A buddy of mine just got a system on his Panamara Turbo and it sound NICE. It's just loud enough, but it sounds TUNED like you'd expect from an European sports car. I don't want a muscle car sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

combat… while I REALLY do like the way your ride sounds. It's not the sound I am looking for on my daily. I want something a little quieter without the drawn out note once you are off the petal. More like a tuned sports car, less like a muscle car. Does that make sense? lol
Appreciate 0