2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications RaceChip USA Group buy discount - F10

12-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #67
BlackBear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab + M850 + McLaren 570Spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonseven View Post
Hi everyone. I have the RaceChip Ultimate installed on my M6 GC. Although anecdotal, the power surge and WOT rush is spot on. 15 minute install and 14-day refund guarantee was enough for me to test the waters. I'm happy and am keeping mine.
Great to hear from you.

Did you change the settings to see if there is one that gets you more power?

Are you on 93 or 91 octane?

I'm on 91 octane on the west coast so I'm reluctant to try a more aggressive map. Cars with 93 octane should be OK with more aggressive settings to get even more power.

Also, I curious were and how you placed the box.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #68
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I wouldn't trust these on my car without seeing wideband o2 readings and timing logs. This thing could be running super lean or knocking/pulling timing like crazy and you'd have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #69
BlackBear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab + M850 + McLaren 570Spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I wouldn't trust these on my car without seeing wideband o2 readings and timing logs. This thing could be running super lean or knocking/pulling timing like crazy and you'd have no idea.
No, it can't. The only signal being modified is BOOST PRESSURE at the TMAP sensors on the I/C. The RaceChip is better than BMS because it does not mess with temp data. That is dangerous because your motor runs way too hot - that will seriously impact durability.

When boost is too high and the motor runs too lean or knocks the ECU will adjust timing/fuel/boost. If ECU can't adjust it will go into limp mode and a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will come on. Your car will have about 150 HP in limp mode. No way you can miss that clue. Unless you are drunk and high, then of course you could. But in that case you hopefully sit on your couch and not in your car.

Thanks for talking about things you know nothing about.

BTW, tunes that work on the Autobahn at 100% throttle until the tank is empty are most likely better designed than something developed in a country where 100 mph for 10 minutes gets you pulled over. A forty second dyno run only gets you so much data and gives you zero information regarding sustained WOT driving.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #70
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
No, it can't. The only signal being modified is BOOST PRESSURE at the TMAP sensors on the I/C. The RaceChip is better than BMS because it does not mess with temp data. That is dangerous because your motor runs way too hot - that will seriously impact durability.

When boost is too high and the motor runs too lean or knocks the ECU will adjust timing/fuel/boost. If ECU can't adjust it will go into limp mode and a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will come on. Your car will have about 150 HP in limp mode. No way you can miss that clue. Unless you are drunk and high, then of course you could. But in that case you hopefully sit on your couch and not in your car.

Thanks for talking about things you know nothing about.

BTW, tunes that work on the Autobahn at 100% throttle until the tank is empty are most likely better designed than something developed in a country where 100 mph for 10 minutes gets you pulled over. A forty second dyno run only gets you so much data and gives you zero information regarding sustained WOT driving.
To be perfectly frank it actually sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. The BMS Stage1 does not "mess with temp data". And even if it did, there are ~8 different temperature sensors on the car. You'd have to modify the coolant temperature sensor to cause any sort of engine over heating. Who in their right mind would do that? Why would a tuner even modify the coolant temperature sensor in the first place?

Your race chip is just a more expensive BMS Stage1 equivalent. There is nothing wrong with that. But please don't be so naive about it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #71
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
To be perfectly frank it actually sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. The BMS Stage1 does not "mess with temp data". And even if it did, there are ~8 different temperature sensors on the car. You'd have to modify the coolant temperature sensor to cause any sort of engine over heating. Who in their right mind would do that? Why would a tuner even modify the coolant temperature sensor in the first place?

Your race chip is just a more expensive BMS Stage1 equivalent. There is nothing wrong with that. But please don't be so naive about it.

Mike
Thank you Mike, you beat me to the punch.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #72
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Have we seen this with other tunes?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #73
thedragonseven
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Alpine White M6 Gran Coupe

BlackBear,

I have mine set as S2=F running on 93 octane.

I also have the Sprint Booster running on "red."

The combination makes for very fun off the line jumps that everyone in the car thoroughly enjoys.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #74
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonseven View Post
BlackBear,

I have mine set as S2=F running on 93 octane.

I also have the Sprint Booster running on "red."

The combination makes for very fun off the line jumps that everyone in the car thoroughly enjoys.
Dyno numbers? 1/4 times ? 60-130 times ?
      02-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #75
thedragonseven
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Alpine White M6 Gran Coupe

Sorry, anecdotal evidence only. I'm not advocating, nor promoting the product. In my case, I had the money to spend and was willing to chance it based purely on driving joy - and return it if my passengers and I couldn't subjectively justify keeping it. At some point I may get it dyno'd - in which case I'll post some numbers.
Appreciate 0