2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking for my next car

08-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
Looking for my next car

Hi guys,

New to the forum and planning to purchase/lease a car very soon. I’m browsing old threads and reading all of the comments, and they are very helpful and gives me good insight.

I’m still driving my first car 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, which I got it new at age 16, I have about 185K miles on it. I did all I can to fix it and extend its lifespan and its time to give the car away (sad) the car is falling apart and its time for a new car. I’m at a point in my life that can get something nice, and I always loved BMW. My brother had a green 1997 328IS, and I loved driving that thing.

Cars that I test drove so far NJ area:
TLX, Infiniti Q50, Maxima FWD, EVO FE, Ghibli Q4, XF AWD, A6,16 E350, 17 E300, C300, xdrive: 528, 535, 550, 740i.

Leaning towards a new 535 or 550 xdrive. I know F10 is around for a while now, but I’m looking for feedback on the 535 as a daily driver. Your experience with the car and things you would find in your next BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatel867 View Post
Cars that I test drove so far NJ area:
TLX, Infiniti Q50, Maxima FWD, EVO FE, Ghibli Q4, XF AWD, A6,16 E350, 17 E300, C300, xdrive: 528, 535, 550, 740i.

Leaning towards a new 535 or 550 xdrive. I know F10 is around for a while now, but I’m looking for feedback on the 535 as a daily driver. Your experience with the car and things you would find in your next BMW.
535 is simply stunning good daily driver, granted I'm biased, but far from being "BMW fanboy". Only one out of your list that I would be (almost) as happy with is A6, in my opinion, it's a coin toss between the two, but I got lucky and found F10 with manual, which is my personal preference.

Since you test drove them all by now, you already have your opinion and reasons why you're leaning towards F10.

Here are mine:
- Handling is superior comparing to others you listed, especially RWD w. DHP, or if you can find sport suspension.
- Size, comfort (dead quiet cabin) and luxury fit and finish, joy to be in and incredible on the long trips.
- N55 is silky smooth and powerful enough for most drivers who don't track their cars, power delivery is fantastic throughout the RPM range.
- Fantastic looking, classy family and/or businessman vehicle, nothing about this car is "pretentious" or "boy racer".

Reliability wise they could be a bit better, wish they didn't come with run flat tires and a bit more feedback/weight to the steering feel wouldn't hurt.

There are faster, better handling, prettier (subjective)...etc..etc.. cars out there but as a total package, with fantastic handling balance, F10 is hard to beat in my opinion.

Last edited by Bbb34; 08-09-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
mzabbas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC

Hi and Welcome,

I have owned my 535 for 3 months now and I absolutely love it. What I like best about this is the balance of luxury and sportiness. it is an almost perfect sport sedan. It is great as a daily driver and a long distance tourer.

The only other car that I seriously considered also was the A6. While slightly different pros and cons, the cars are pretty close. with BMW having a slightly better interior, and A6 having a slightly better engine (3.0). Options packages are also a little easier in Audi, but not an issue when buying new. Styling and presence is better with BMW. I got the BMW because I was buying used and Audi's are hard to find in Texas.

Also if you mod your cars, you will find more stuff easier with BMW.

When I was test driving, I tested A6, 528i, 535i, GS350, and Q50.

What did you think of the 2017 E class?

Things I love:

- I love the styling. The car has such presence. Pics do not do it justice. Msport package is a must. Get it in the right color and people may even ask to take pics, even after 6 years on the road.

- The car is comfortable, without being dull. Even with standard seats, it is a smooth drive with enough feedback to enjoy still. MultiContour seats take it up a notch.

- N55 engine has great power. and the transmission (auto) is quick and smooth. but everyone gets used to the power they have in their daily driver and its not that exciting anymore. Not to worry, just put it in sport mode and the character changes.

- I love the toys. I have tech package, surround cameras, BMW apps, connected drive, Heads up display etc.

Things I would add to my next bmw:
- DHP for adaptive suspension.
- LED lighting, with auto beam.
- Multi Contour seats.
- radar cruise.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

if you don't have kids get M3 2002-2006
now if you have kids 5 series will work just fine I have three kids we fit just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
535 is simply stunning good daily driver, granted I'm biased, but far from being "BMW fanboy". Only one out of your list that I would be (almost) as happy with is A6, in my opinion, it's a coin toss between the two, but I got lucky and found F10 with manual, which is my personal preference.

Since you test drove them all by now, you already have your opinion and reasons why you're leaning towards F10.

Here are mine:
- Handling is superior comparing to others you listed, especially RWD w. DHP, or if you can find sport suspension.
- Size, comfort (dead quiet cabin) and luxury fit and finish, joy to be in and incredible on the long trips.
- N55 is silky smooth and powerful enough for most drivers who don't track their cars, power delivery is fantastic throughout the RPM range.
- Fantastic looking, classy family and/or businessman vehicle, nothing about this car is "pretentious" or "boy racer".

Reliability wise they could be a bit better, wish they didn't come with run flat tires and a bit more feedback/weight to the steering feel wouldn't hurt.

There are faster, better handling, prettier (subjective)...etc..etc.. cars out there but as a total package, with fantastic handling balance, F10 is hard to beat in my opinion.
Thanks for your feedback. A6 is really nice. My GF has 2010 Audi A5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzabbas View Post
Hi and Welcome,

I have owned my 535 for 3 months now and I absolutely love it. What I like best about this is the balance of luxury and sportiness. it is an almost perfect sport sedan. It is great as a daily driver and a long distance tourer.

The only other car that I seriously considered also was the A6. While slightly different pros and cons, the cars are pretty close. with BMW having a slightly better interior, and A6 having a slightly better engine (3.0). Options packages are also a little easier in Audi, but not an issue when buying new. Styling and presence is better with BMW. I got the BMW because I was buying used and Audi's are hard to find in Texas.

Things I love:

- I love the styling. The car has such presence. Pics do not do it justice. Msport package is a must. Get it in the right color and people may even ask to take pics, even after 6 years on the road.

- The car is comfortable, without being dull. Even with standard seats, it is a smooth drive with enough feedback to enjoy still. MultiContour seats take it up a notch.

- N55 engine has great power. and the transmission (auto) is quick and smooth. but everyone gets used to the power they have in their daily driver and its not that exciting anymore. Not to worry, just put it in sport mode and the character changes.

- I love the toys. I have tech package, surround cameras, BMW apps, connected drive, Heads up display etc.

- Multi Contour seats.
- radar cruise.
I almost end up buying a 16 E350 in May but waited the 2017. 2017 E 300 4Matic with 241 hp was really disappointing. The interior: simply amazing, the details are insane, tech everywhere. The engine, handling and power very dull.

I'm looking at few with 535s with M package. I do like doing some clean mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
if you don't have kids get M3 2002-2006
now if you have kids 5 series will work just fine I have three kids we fit just fine.
No kids yet but I like the four doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzabbas View Post
Hi and Welcome,

Things I love:

- Multi Contour seats.
- radar cruise.
I also have mostly this set up and very happy.
Mercedes/Lexus are for people who don' t love to drive! Very nice interiors!!!!Infinity are poser cars. Good value in Maxima with amenities. I like everything Honda does and Acura good balance of most things good without being poser or tacky like infinity.

Im not up on the Jags but they are super nice. If your leasing, go for a Maserati or a Jag. If buying, that's not where I want to go. Depends on how long your planning to own.

If not for the desire to drive a manual, I do love the Audi A6 and the A7!!! Wife has a 2015 allroad (A4 avant, raised with an A5 width suspention!) and we love that car!!! I don't want own two of the same brand. Big fan of the Audi!!!

Since I wanted a manual, it was between a 3, 4 series or what I got.

Your all over the map! Maxima, to EVO to a Maserati! Your choices are all very good. Perhaps if you narrow it to budget and length of ownership as well as Lease vs. own, then it might get easier to help you, and easier for you to decide as well.

Naturally your on a f10 site so your going to get biased opinion as we advocate for what we own if we are happy. Your personal taste will tell you if you want Msport or not. Where you live, how you drive and type of roads your own might also drive your choice. If your have any desire to mod, you'll likely lean toward Msport. You don't get the 704 suspension with X drive.
If AWD a must, I think the choice gets simple. Quattro>XDrive.
Audi.

Last edited by Nalod; 08-10-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Nice to see another PatelBhai on the Forums!

So i went back and forth for a while between lexus GS (i was going to wait for the GS-F), Audi s6, and merc e class (was looking at older e63's)

Lexus GS - is a nice car, but didn't care for the styling, and i wanted a v8 (gs f wasn't available then)

S6 was a great car, i drove one last year (it was a 2013) so the current bodystyle, My issue with the a6/s6 was when i pulled back into the parking lot at the dealership, i ended up parking next to a passat and looked back, and it looked very similar. Also i felt the a6 as beautiful as an interior it has, just doesn't have the build quality the bmw has.

the amg e63 was a beast, but i couldn't find one for below 70k out here

I also test drove an m5 but again i couldn't find an lci m5 (2014 +) even below 70k when i was looking.

So i 'settled' for the 550i. And i haven't regretted it one bit!!

It also helped that I got a great deal on mine. (46k + TTL) with 12k miles on it (bought it in jan 16). I found it in bend oregon and drove it down to the bay area (600 miles)

These are well built cars, and i felt that only merc and bmw have the high quality german build quality, i didn't feel like the a6 had that build quality.

Again this is my opinion.

Just giving you my thoughts when i was in your shoes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
I also have mostly this set up and very happy.
Mercedes/Lexus are for people who don' t love to drive! Very nice interiors!!!!Infinity are poser cars. Good value in Maxima with amenities. I like everything Honda does and Acura good balance of most things good without being poser or tacky like infinity.

Im not up on the Jags but they are super nice. If your leasing, go for a Maserati or a Jag. If buying, that's not where I want to go. Depends on how long your planning to own.

If not for the desire to drive a manual, I do love the Audi A6 and the A7!!! Wife has a 2015 allroad (A4 avant, raised with an A5 width suspention!) and we love that car!!! I don't want own two of the same brand. Big fan of the Audi!!!

Since I wanted a manual, it was between a 3, 4 series or what I got.

Your all over the map! Maxima, to EVO to a Maserati! Your choices are all very good. Perhaps if you narrow it to budget and length of ownership as well as Lease vs. own, then it might get easier to help you, and easier for you to decide as well.

Naturally your on a f10 site so your going to get biased opinion as we advocate for what we own if we are happy. Your personal taste will tell you if you want Msport or not. Where you live, how you drive and type of roads your own might also drive your choice. If your have any desire to mod, you'll likely lean toward Msport. You don't get the 704 suspension with X drive.
If AWD a must, I think the choice gets simple. Quattro>XDrive.
Audi.
you are right all over the map. Needed to drive this cars. Mercs/Lexus steering is very loose. Its good for people who enjoy that. So the Ghibli I had chance to keep that car for couple days. My brother had a loaner for his GTS. The car had some kind of rattling inside and the seatbelt was awkward. The first gen model put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
Nice to see another PatelBhai on the Forums!

So i went back and forth for a while between lexus GS (i was going to wait for the GS-F), Audi s6, and merc e class (was looking at older e63's)

Lexus GS - is a nice car, but didn't care for the styling, and i wanted a v8 (gs f wasn't available then)

S6 was a great car, i drove one last year (it was a 2013) so the current bodystyle, My issue with the a6/s6 was when i pulled back into the parking lot at the dealership, i ended up parking next to a passat and looked back, and it looked very similar. Also i felt the a6 as beautiful as an interior it has, just doesn't have the build quality the bmw has.

the amg e63 was a beast, but i couldn't find one for below 70k out here

I also test drove an m5 but again i couldn't find an lci m5 (2014 +) even below 70k when i was looking.

So i 'settled' for the 550i. And i haven't regretted it one bit!!

It also helped that I got a great deal on mine. (46k + TTL) with 12k miles on it (bought it in jan 16). I found it in bend oregon and drove it down to the bay area (600 miles)

These are well built cars, and i felt that only merc and bmw have the high quality german build quality, i didn't feel like the a6 had that build quality.

Again this is my opinion.

Just giving you my thoughts when i was in your shoes.
haha! We are everywhere man. 550 is a beast.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

I just signed a deal today for a 2016 535d msport, will be picking it up Monday morning. I test drove an A6 as well, and found them very comparable. Engine on the A6 impressed me a bit more, but the exterior look and the interior luxury of the 535d made the decision for me

I found an incredible deal on a BMW "executive demo" car. It's a 2016 with 5k miles, which knocked $12k off of the MSRP. I'll make a post once I take delivery, but I'm a lifelong BMW customer and think the 535 is the perfect balance of sportiness and luxury. Plus there's a great market for modifications / upgrades, something I think Audi lacks
Appreciate 0