2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Comfort access malfunction

11-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 650i cupe

Comfort access malfunction

Hi folks

After the car got a full sw update the comfort access are gone nuts and only works on the left rear door…

Before the sw update, the driver door was unlocking and locking over and over again when washing the car. I never noticed anything wrong with the other doors.

After the sw update (or when I got the car back from the work shop), the driver door would just keep clicking rapidly when I was standing by the car. Also if I tried to lock by touching the handle it would lock, but unlock immediately. If I pull the handle it won’t unlock. Now the only door that operates like normal is the left rear (passenger) door.
I have tried both fobs, changed battery in the fobs, and charged the battery in the car, no fix.

Since there is one door that works normal, I think the aerial and identification of the fob must be in order. Can there be something wrong with the sensors, handle “pull sensor” and “grab sensor” in all three doors? Is there any way of troubleshooting before start buying parts?

Workshop says this is a known weakness on these cars, and that I need some new antennas… Honestly, I don’t want the shop swapping parts or spending time scratching their heads for hours.
From the web I see that it is strait forward to change the handles, but will new handles need coding?

The car is a 2012 535d touring. Now warranty

Regards
ojo
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

You need new door handles. I had the same issue and the cause was malfunction sensors in the door handle that was causing comfort access to go wacko. Car would unlock itself when walking by the door of malfunctioning door handle. My wife and I have separate keys and when the door handle was malfunctioning the computer would never get our setting right. It would change seats but outside mirrors never adjust. My last saved radio station comes on when she uses her key and vice verse.

Here's my post if you want to read up on it and where other members said they had the same issue I had.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211155

I believe my service advisor said they don't need to coded.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #3
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 650i cupe

Thanks tomyang for your response and link.

Yes it seems like I need 3 new handles… each at aprox 500usd here in Norway, labor cost in addition If coding is not necessary I’ll do the labor myself.

It’s just a bit frustrating that this cost of 1500usd comes after the sw update. Think I’ll have the shop do an error scan and take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

If I was you, I'll do it myself too. My car was still under manufacturing warranty so those parts were covered. The only thing that remember them saying is that the new handles need to be painted.
Appreciate 0