2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Rebuild Project

04-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #67
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy1234 View Post
My car is on the road and everything is great so far no problems what so ever. No I did not have to replace the radiator, Fans or any of that on mine. The extra 2 prong plug on mine was because I ordered the wrong harness for the parking sensors. I went to the BMW body shop and was told those 2 wire plug is related to night vision camera. Since mine and I assume yours doesn't have that option they told me to wire tie it and that was that. My BMW dealer was great at answering any of my questions. Good luck. Did you start a thread of your own with pictures?
Aren't training manuals useful? I know they are too general and diagrams are not very detailed, but at least it gives some idea.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #68
engineergcc
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Thanks for the response. The reference for the night vision for the center 2 prong plug is helpful. My car does not have night vision, so I can ignore this plug. I re-ordered the PDC harness and I now have my PDC sensors working. Small but important step. My only remaining electrical mystery are the two 2-wire plugs on either side of the radiators. These two (brown and green) wires have me and the local BMW shop baffled. The radiator core support that I purchased came directly from a BMW test car in Germany. There are two bright yellow plugs located on each hood latch receiving assemblies. These are in approximately the same position as the green/brown wires. The green and brown wires are hot with the key on, and are dead with the key off. I am curious if this is for safety sensors to confirm that the hood is latched. Perhaps in Europe these type of sensors must be molded in yellow, whereas in the US they are just black plastic. Both sets of plugs are 2-prong, but do not exactly line up. I could splice them...but am a bit hesistant without knowing their function. Sorry to bother you with this chatter...but you have been down some roads similar to what I am doing.

By the way, you mentioned training manuals. Where might I find those?

P.S. I am taking lots of pictures and while I am new to the forum, I will try to start a thread.

Thanks,
Ken
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #69
bboy1234
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineergcc View Post
Thanks for the response. The reference for the night vision for the center 2 prong plug is helpful. My car does not have night vision, so I can ignore this plug. I re-ordered the PDC harness and I now have my PDC sensors working. Small but important step. My only remaining electrical mystery are the two 2-wire plugs on either side of the radiators. These two (brown and green) wires have me and the local BMW shop baffled. The radiator core support that I purchased came directly from a BMW test car in Germany. There are two bright yellow plugs located on each hood latch receiving assemblies. These are in approximately the same position as the green/brown wires. The green and brown wires are hot with the key on, and are dead with the key off. I am curious if this is for safety sensors to confirm that the hood is latched. Perhaps in Europe these type of sensors must be molded in yellow, whereas in the US they are just black plastic. Both sets of plugs are 2-prong, but do not exactly line up. I could splice them...but am a bit hesistant without knowing their function. Sorry to bother you with this chatter...but you have been down some roads similar to what I am doing.

P.S. I am taking lots of pictures and while I am new to the forum, I will try to start a thread.

Thanks,
Ken
What do you mean you reordered the pdc harness? Did did you order one with out the 2 prong center plug?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #70
engineergcc
Rep

My 550i had the standard front end and during the rebuild I am converting it to a M-Sport front end. Therefore we ordered the PDC wiring harness for a M-Sport bumper. Unfortunately, the main plug which connects to the harness exiting the car was not compatible. I have no idea why they are so different. We then ordered the PDC harness that my original non M-Sport bumper calls for and the main connector was correct. I had to readjust some of the mounting clips to match the M-Sport bumper, but otherwise everything is fine. BOTH harnesses came with the extra two-prong plug at the center of the harness. I see no function for this on my car, so I will just ignore it. My PDCs now work; so I believe you are correct when saying this plug must be used with a night vision camera or some other electronic option which my car was not equipped with.

I still am working with the local BMW parts dealer to track down my infamour green/brown wires, with limited success. That is the ONLY thing keeping me from reassembling the front end. They will be difficult to access once the front end is in place, so I would prefer to resolve that issue before the assembly.

Ken

Ken
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #71
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineergcc View Post

Thanks,
Ken
PM me with your email and I will send you the manuals. But as I said they are too general and are good only to have some idea.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #72
engineergcc
Rep

My email address is engineergcc@yahoo.com

Thanks for offering to send the manuals. I realize that they will not be highly detailed, but I would appreciate any info that I can get my hands on. I have my complete radiator core support & radiators assembled and ready to slide into my frame rails. All coolant hoses and oil lines are in place and ready for final connection. All wiring issues are sorted out, except my nagging green & brown 2-prong wires. I have all body parts, new hood, front bumper cover, grills, etc. in hand. I plan to have the body parts (hood, bumper cover, and fenders) painted while off the car. I will likely fit them up before taking them to the body shop to make sure alignment is okay. Once I have the fluids all in place, I will clear the fault codes and test the engine and drive train. Then reassemble the body parts and then tackle the interior (airbags, dash, headliner).

Ken
Appreciate 0