2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Sport Mode?

04-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Sport Mode?

Dear All,

First up, thanks for this forum and all your contributions, it's been a fantastic resource.

Regarding sports-mode, what is the difference between the sport mode that you engage by sliding the gear shifter into M/S, and changing the mode into Sport via the button? I'm aware that you can configure the chassis to tighten up in Sport mode, but if I select Drivetrain only am I essentially then in an identical setup to switching to M/S?

I'm aware I've worded that terribly :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
xd
Rep
Drives: 525d Touring Xdrive

I've yet to fully play with this but in the idrive if you set chassis to firm up and also to engine shift points for the sport mode- moving the gear into M/S seams still to drop one more gear above this (M/S hold at 7 max)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
... I'm aware that you can configure the chassis to tighten up in Sport mode, but if I select Drivetrain only am I essentially then in an identical setup to switching to M/S?
Not exactly, there are subtle differences, one is the gear selected and change points. I see it as a sort of 'halfway' function using Sport mode, certainly so in my 535i with the Sport Auto Transmission. At say 50 - 60 mph, Sport mode typically drops one gear, flicking the shifter to M/S drops another gear, or two gears if using M/S from Comfort/Normal mode.

It has been discussed in previous topics on this section of the forum, there is one current topic over in the F30 UK section of the forum at present, which touches on the same Sport mode vs. M/S function in the F30/31 models.

I can copy my own experiences in my car, if it helps.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Unless you have Adaptive Drive and Variable Damper control, selecting sport will not have any effect on the chassis, other than to quicken the steering response - it will not alter any suspension settings.
As 'Highland Pete' says, the difference is subtle in that it will drop an extra gear by using the shift lever, as opposed to the switch.
I suggest you try the difference on a given stretch of road with similar throttle input.
Granted, my car is a 640i, but the power train is the same as Pete's 535i and if I want maximum pick-up in the 40-60 mph range, I always use the shift lever.
Having said all that, I see you have a 525 and the difference may not be so noticeable - just try it both ways and see if you find any difference. It also depends on whether or not you have the sport auto box, which, I think, has slightly different shift points.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Cheers for the replies all, much appreciated.

My 525 is early 2011 and therefore a 3 litre, so I believe kicking down an extra gear is definitely noticeable, so I'll give it a shot next time "conditions dictate"*

* I dont think there are any police looking
Appreciate 0