2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 Headlights/Rear Light Upgrade!!!

03-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #67
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Mstyle in London claim they can upgrade F10 angel eyes for £358.

The garage didn't have a clue how to fit the HID kit, they thought they needed the front end of and ran out of time. I haven't paid them and I'm booked in for next week. I'm sending the HID kit back, as I've found a garage that will retrofit the PRE LCI Xenons for a reasonable price. I'm in no rush so I will wait until Birmingham Breakers get hold of another F10 with Xenons then buy from them as eBay is to expensive. You can't get good deals on eBay anymore.

The LCI headlights were sold for £500. But I'm looking for pre lci xenons now so any heads up let me know. When I get them and have them fitted I will destroy my F10 halogens to try and upgrade the LED coronas then sell them.

This is worth noting, if you have an F10 with adaptive dampers (you'll have the attached by your gear selector if you do) then it will cost you nearly half the price to retrofit xenons as no need to fit a levelling sensor as the adaptive dampers have one so they plug into that. Luckily mine has this. I ain't paying more than £900 for this whole retrofit its just not worth it.

Also worth noting you don't have to change the headlight switch either. Its just coding and modifying the harness. However I was told that its near enough Impossible to do the LCI headlights as the CAS is different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #68
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke
Mstyle in London claim they can upgrade F10 angel eyes for 358.

The garage didn't have a clue how to fit the HID kit, they thought they needed the front end of and ran out of time. I haven't paid them and I'm booked in for next week. I'm sending the HID kit back, as I've found a garage that will retrofit the PRE LCI Xenons for a reasonable price. I'm in no rush so I will wait until Birmingham Breakers get hold of another F10 with Xenons then buy from them as eBay is to expensive. You can't get good deals on eBay anymore.

The LCI headlights were sold for 500. But I'm looking for pre lci xenons now so any heads up let me know. When I get them and have them fitted I will destroy my F10 halogens to try and upgrade the LED coronas then sell them.

This is worth noting, if you have an F10 with adaptive dampers (you'll have the attached by your gear selector if you do) then it will cost you nearly half the price to retrofit xenons as no need to fit a levelling sensor as the adaptive dampers have one so they plug into that. Luckily mine has this. I ain't paying more than 900 for this whole retrofit its just not worth it.

Also worth noting you don't have to change the headlight switch either. Its just coding and modifying the harness. However I was told that its near enough Impossible to do the LCI headlights as the CAS is different.
Can you give more details on M-style halo ring?
What they do to headlights?
      03-09-2015, 02:08 AM   #69
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:

The LCI headlights were sold for 500. But I'm looking for pre lci xenons now so any heads up let me know. When I get them and have them fitted I will destroy my F10 halogens to try and upgrade the LED coronas then sell them.

This is worth noting, if you have an F10 with adaptive dampers (you'll have the attached by your gear selector if you do) then it will cost you nearly half the price to retrofit xenons as no need to fit a levelling sensor as the adaptive dampers have one so they plug into that. Luckily mine has this. I ain't paying more than 900 for this whole retrofit its just not worth it.

Check it out and give them a call they offer quite a few mods for the f10. It says HID conversion to light up the angel eyes £195.

See here : http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04MS100.html
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #70
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:

Check it out and give them a call they offer quite a few mods for the f10. It says HID conversion to light up the angel eyes £195.

See here : http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04MS100.html" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.mstyle.co...MS100.html</a>
No disrespect to them but they dont know what they are talking.
There are hids kit out for e9x and they are using chinese company listing without knowing that F10 is different!

Had few of my mates who had bad experiences while dealing with them.

PS: F10 does not use H8 bulbs!!!
      03-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #71
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
No disrespect to them but they dont know what they are talking.
There are hids kit out for e9x and they are using chinese company listing without knowing that F10 is different!

Had few of my mates who had bad experiences while dealing with them.

PS: F10 does not use H8 bulbs!!!
I know exactly what I thought.

To be honest I'm sending the HID kit back I've took the garage not being able to fit it as a sign and all in with the HID kit it was looking like it was gonna cost me £200 and its not worth it for worth it. Now I have somebody who will retrofit the Xenons for Pre LCI ill wait until I get some for a decent price. I won't be looking on eBay thats for certain, eBay has turned into rip off land. Best place is Birmingham Salvage, they've got about 500 cars and they turn over 25 cars a week breaking and selling the parts they don't use eBay.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #72
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
Mstyle in London claim they can upgrade F10 angel eyes for £358.

The LCI headlights were sold for £500. But I'm looking for pre lci xenons now so any heads up let me know. When I get them and have them fitted I will destroy my F10 halogens to try and upgrade the LED coronas then sell them.

This is worth noting, if you have an F10 with adaptive dampers (you'll have the attached by your gear selector if you do) then it will cost you nearly half the price to retrofit xenons as no need to fit a levelling sensor as the adaptive dampers have one so they plug into that. Luckily mine has this. I ain't paying more than £900 for this whole retrofit its just not worth it.

That switch doesn't mean you have adaptive dampers, if you don't it just adjusts the steering response and gear changes
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #73
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks
Quote:

That switch doesn't mean you have adaptive dampers, if you don't it just adjusts the steering response and gear changes
It does on an F10 mate. most cars don't have the switch atall if it's 2010-2013..However not on an F11 because they added the so called driving style switch or driving performance switch that's now standard on all BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #74
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It does on an F10 mate. most cars don't have the switch atall if it's 2010-2013..However not on an F11 because they added the so called driving style switch or driving performance switch that's now standard on all BMWs.
I think I'm confused then. I have an f10, with the switch, but i definitely don't have adaptive dampers. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #75
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
I think the switch became standard on the 2012 models.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #76
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I have the switch on my 08/12 build and I don't have adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #77
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

It's not the presence of that switch as such that confirms you have adaptive dampers: it's the options you can toggle through by pressing it. If your choices include "Comfort" as well as "Normal" "Sport" and "Sport +", then you have adaptive dampers. I guess the car in the picture has them, because the text at the rear is "Comfort".

But.... is the presence of adaptive dampers on the F10 enough to give you a level sensor, or is it only the presence of full adaptive drive (adaptive dampers plus active anti-roll) ? I suppose on the F11 there will be a sensor whatever options are fitted, because you get self-levelling rear suspension ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #78
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

That might have been true in pre LCI cars but I don't think SPort+ is an option anymore. I have the switch, I have an LCI car, I KNOW i don't have adaptive dampers and I have 3 modes, Eco, Comfort and Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #79
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, my post was based on my 2012 F10 with full adaptive drive, and all the reading up I did when I had it. So on LCI cars the toggle on all cars will switch between eco, comfort and sport as a minimum ? So what's the easiest way to tell if a car has adaptive dampers and/or full active suspension ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #80
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Yes thats right about the switch on LCI cars. Whether its possible to tell if a car has VDC on LCI models, i don't know anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #81
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Yep, my post was based on my 2012 F10 with full adaptive drive, and all the reading up I did when I had it. So on LCI cars the toggle on all cars will switch between eco, comfort and sport as a minimum ? So what's the easiest way to tell if a car has adaptive dampers and/or full active suspension ?
The quote about Sport+ meaning you have adaptive dampers is wrong. You get the Sport + if you have an MSport model. You can code it on any car with the switch.

I use the Sport+ all the time as the sport mode is not great as the traction control constantly interferes and as the BMW suffers from oversteer being RWD and a big car it means it can me dangerous with the traction control suddenly disconnecting the drive mid corner.

As for adaptive dampers you'll know if you've got it put it sport mode and the ride stiffens up dramatically and becomes really hard. Great for cornering on dry days, and there is no body roll in the corners. I've got adaptive dampers and rear wheel steer. I recently had an F11 loan without it and its an option I would add every time after that. Makes the car as manoeuvrable as a Fiat 500.

As you say your unsure if you've got it, I'm pretty certain you won't have it. Its not something you can't tell. If its in sport mode as said, the ride becomes really hard, and the suspension stiffens up (especially noticeable on badly kept British roads)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #82
skipsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520 D M Sport

My M Sport is a pre Lci July 13 with the switch but I assumed it just tightened the steering
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #83
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The quote about Sport+ meaning you have adaptive dampers is wrong. You get the Sport + if you have an MSport model. You can code it on any car with the switch.

I use the Sport+ all the time as the sport mode is not great as the traction control constantly interferes and as the BMW suffers from oversteer being RWD and a big car it means it can me dangerous with the traction control suddenly disconnecting the drive mid corner.

As for adaptive dampers you'll know if you've got it put it sport mode and the ride stiffens up dramatically and becomes really hard. Great for cornering on dry days, and there is no body roll in the corners. I've got adaptive dampers and rear wheel steer. I recently had an F11 loan without it and its an option I would add every time after that. Makes the car as manoeuvrable as a Fiat 500.

As you say your unsure if you've got it, I'm pretty certain you won't have it. Its not something you can't tell. If its in sport mode as said, the ride becomes really hard, and the suspension stiffens up (especially noticeable on badly kept British roads)
Were you actually replying to me ? A bit confused because:
- I didn't say that the presence of Sport+ indicated adaptive drive was present;
- I didn't say I was unsure if I had adaptive drive. I was sure I had it and I could clearly feel how it altered the handling/ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #84
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax
Quote:

Were you actually replying to me ? A bit confused because:
- I didn't say that the presence of Sport+ indicated adaptive drive was present;
- I didn't say I was unsure if I had adaptive drive. I was sure I had it and I could clearly feel how it altered the handling/ride.
No I was replying to 325 bucks but couldn't get you both in the post as like I wanted as I'm using my phone. Good it just seemed like you were unsure.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #85
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
It does on an F10 mate.
No it doesn't.

The switch - Drive Performance Control - is present if you have any of the following options fitted to an early F10:

a) Sports Auto Transmission
b) Variable Damper Control
c) Adaptive Drive

It's functionality will vary with fitted options but in it's most basic form it sharpens throttle response, steering feel and puts the gearbox into Sport mode (You can configure which of these options it controls yourself in settings).

My 2010 F10 has no Variable Damper Control but does have Sports Auto Transmission and is therefore fitted with Drive Performance Control.

I believe it then became standard across the range for MY12 with the addition of Eco Pro etc.

Quote:
The quote about Sport+ meaning you have adaptive dampers is wrong. You get the Sport + if you have an MSport model.
Sport+ is a selectable option on any pre LCI car with Drive Performance Control - my SE has Sport+. It is nothing to do with trim level.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #86
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Double post! oops
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #87
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Off topic.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #88
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Yes thats right about the switch on LCI cars. Whether its possible to tell if a car has VDC on LCI models, i don't know anymore
Have a look at this, says in the brochure that if VDC is present you will have a comfort mode, if VDC isn't present you will just have Normal and Sports mode. I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Comfort+, Sports, Sports+.

Hope this helps!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0