2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 N63 Jb4 Beta Stage 3 Plus Bcm: Manual Shift Lag, Auto Shift Jolt, 5500 Rpm malfun

03-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
garyden550
New To Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 550i

F10 N63 Jb4 Beta Stage 3 Plus Bcm: Manual Shift Lag, Auto Shift Jolt, 5500 Rpm malfun

My car is a 2011 BMW 550i. I have the JB4 Stage 3+ BCM. I am running E30 fuel. I have burger intakes and AR design catless downpipes. I am having 3 different issues and so have attached 2 different logs which capture all 3 issues. One of the issues almost caused an accident with another automobile!!!

Btw...i am running map 7 for everything as it has the most boost (according to your website). If there is a map that will provide MORE power and im on the wrong one, please lemme know.

Issue 1 (log ending in "51_42"): When driving in automatic tranny mode with super sport mode "on", and traction control "off", for the first 3 or so gears, the car stops and then slams me forward and backward at gear change. If i didn't know better and know it was the tune , id say my transmission was sticking, stopping, and then suddenly releasing (its not...i tried this with jb4 off and everything is just fine).

Associated with this issue is the next issue (ISSUE 2). There is a noticeable lag beyond what's normal when shifting. When it shifts, i have to wait for what feels like 1-2 seconds for the shift to complete. Then, there is a post shift lag when i mash the accelerator pedal down.

ISSUE 3 (log ending in 32_20). When i am in 4th gear (and only 4th gear) and accelerating with wide open throttle, at around 5500 RPM, the car suddenly stops accelerating for anywhere from a few noticeable milliseconds to almost 1 second as if the gear just gave out and then, moments later resumes its acceleration. In the log, these are shorter malfunctions but noticeable. I ran it 3 times in a row starting from around 4000 RPM (2000 wasn't an option on the freeway). It malfunctioned 2 of the 3 times. Prior to my logging, i had gone to accelerate and change lanes on the freeway. As i went to change lanes in a tight situation, i was factoring in my acceleration and began to change while my tail was still parallel to the vehicle beside me. As i made the move, 4th gear malfunctioned and i nearly sideswiped the guy due to my stopped acceleration causing me to be unable to fully pull in front of him. Anyway, i referenced this earlier and figured id explain.

Any help please????

PS.... LOGS WON'T UPLOAD FROM MY PHONE. ILL LOAD THEM SEPARATELY FROM MY COMPUTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Ditch the JB4 piggyback unit and get a proper flash tune from a company like Mission Performance. Enjoy higher performance, and factory like power application with no ancillary equipment to act up or fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Ditch the JB4 piggyback unit and get a proper flash tune from a company like Mission Performance. Enjoy higher performance, and factory like power application with no ancillary equipment to act up or fail.
Does MP have tunes for the N63 non tu?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Yes they do, may not be listed on the website (many applications aren't) but they can.

We tuned an Alpina B7 together as a one off job for my client a few months back, and that is essentially a N63 non tu.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
Hilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyden550 View Post
My car is a 2011 BMW 550i. I have the JB4 Stage 3+ BCM. I am running E30 fuel. I have burger intakes and AR design catless downpipes. I am having 3 different issues and so have attached 2 different logs which capture all 3 issues. One of the issues almost caused an accident with another automobile!!!

Btw...i am running map 7 for everything as it has the most boost (according to your website). If there is a map that will provide MORE power and im on the wrong one, please lemme know.

Issue 1 (log ending in "51_42"): When driving in automatic tranny mode with super sport mode "on", and traction control "off", for the first 3 or so gears, the car stops and then slams me forward and backward at gear change. If i didn't know better and know it was the tune , id say my transmission was sticking, stopping, and then suddenly releasing (its not...i tried this with jb4 off and everything is just fine).

Associated with this issue is the next issue (ISSUE 2). There is a noticeable lag beyond what's normal when shifting. When it shifts, i have to wait for what feels like 1-2 seconds for the shift to complete. Then, there is a post shift lag when i mash the accelerator pedal down.

ISSUE 3 (log ending in 32_20). When i am in 4th gear (and only 4th gear) and accelerating with wide open throttle, at around 5500 RPM, the car suddenly stops accelerating for anywhere from a few noticeable milliseconds to almost 1 second as if the gear just gave out and then, moments later resumes its acceleration. In the log, these are shorter malfunctions but noticeable. I ran it 3 times in a row starting from around 4000 RPM (2000 wasn't an option on the freeway). It malfunctioned 2 of the 3 times. Prior to my logging, i had gone to accelerate and change lanes on the freeway. As i went to change lanes in a tight situation, i was factoring in my acceleration and began to change while my tail was still parallel to the vehicle beside me. As i made the move, 4th gear malfunctioned and i nearly sideswiped the guy due to my stopped acceleration causing me to be unable to fully pull in front of him. Anyway, i referenced this earlier and figured id explain.

Any help please????

PS.... LOGS WON'T UPLOAD FROM MY PHONE. ILL LOAD THEM SEPARATELY FROM MY COMPUTER.
Did I miss the memo? When did burger tuning start making intakes for N63 platform? I am also running the same as you (minus intake/downpipe) and not having that issue. If you have not already post on N54tech as Terry could possibly address the issue
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

sounds like injector problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
Taye97
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyden550 View Post

Any help please????

Question? How did you do your install did you just connect to the TMAP and OBDIII ports and ran e30 without the fuel wires and just set the map to 7 on your phone?
Appreciate 0