2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Any paint matched grilles out there???

10-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
mhassler
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

Any paint matched grilles out there???

I am having a very tough time deciding which grille finish to select to replace my OEM Chrome/Silver on my Carbon Black MSport.

I am ordering front/rear paint matched reflectors and paint matched fender light trim. I've also ordered some smoked w/ Amber LED side marker lights to get rid of the OEM clear lights.

Down the road I plan to add a CF splitter, CF trunk spoiler and CF rear diffuser. I also want to add VMR V710FF wheels in Graphite Matte.

If I had any photoshop skills i'd throw a rendering up but hopefully this gives a sense of the direction I want to go in.

This leaves the grille. Here is my thought process/rationale....

1. All Black Matte -- I think it would match the lower grilles in the msport bumper, but am afraid it would look a bit dull next to the Carbon Black Metallic paint.

2. All Black Gloss -- would match the shadow line trim but not the lower grilles leaving three finishes (paint, gloss black and black plastic) up front and I'm slightly worried it would look out-of-place against the paint color, almost as if I had it painted the wrong color.

3. Not considering the chrome trim around the either the Matte or Gloss Black slats.

4. Not considering the CF grille.

5. Saw some vendors offer color matching of the outer surround with gloss black slats. Would probably have the same visual effect as the all gloss black grille and it's, on average, an extra $75 to paint match the outer surround.

6. IND will paint match the entire grille for me for an extra $190 (for a grand total of $345 +S&H). Ideally this would look the best, the entire center line of the car would be one color and I wouldn't be adding a third finish to the front end. However, I would be more susceptible to paint chips from road debris.

I've read, and seen, plenty of posts and picture regarding matte vs gloss grille options for a particular car color but no posts or pictures of paint matched grilles. I even did a site-wide search with no luck.

So, I am curious if anyone out there has a paint matched grille and, if so, I would love to hear how this holds up and see some pics before I drop the coin.

Sorry for the long post (especially with no pictures) but would appreciate any help. Thanks everyone,
      10-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Have no pictures or experience with paint matched myself (have seen it in person though), but my vote would be gloss black. As you said matte stands out with all the paint around the grills. Paint matched would look good, but that price seems a bit high plus one rock chip and you'll regret it. Gloss blends well with black paint, flows well with the front end, and is less than half the cost from any seller. Just my 2 cents with no evidence

Ps I love IND and they're paint matching is top notch, have ordered from them many times
Appreciate 0