2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driving home in comfort...

01-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Driving home in comfort...

So, I took about an hour drive to see family today, and on the way home this evening I felt both worn out and a bit lazy. So, I decided to see how the combination of features in my new 5 series could ease the situation.

So, here's what I did:

Automatic Cruise Control

I turned on automatic cruise. With it being late, dark, and on a full stomach from dinner, I had no desire to drive spirited or in any rush. I got in the middle lane of the highway and set the cruise to slightly above the speed limit. I quickly came upon a car going slower and the ACC kicked-in, matching the speed perfectly of the car in front. Foot off the accelerator... one chore down.

Dynamic Handling

I was cruising up i-684 through Westchester County NY (just north of NYC), which is not the most well maintained highway. I hadn't yet tried Comfort+, but this seemed like the perfect time. With a little toggle switch tap, the car suddenly loosened up further and the bumps in the pavement started to mellow out.

Heated Seat

With the cold temps, the heated seat would normally serve to warm me up, but I decided it would be nice here just to add a bit of soothing to my muscles. Ahhh.

Active Seat

Heat was nice, but not enough - I flipped on the active seat, and soon my butt was being gently massaged. My muscles instantly started feeling pampered from both the heat and slow massaging motion of the seat.

Satellite Radio

The only thing missing was something relaxing on the radio... and with hundreds of stations to choose from, it wasn't hard to find!

So, here I was cruising down the highway... automatic cruise, dampers set to a super soft setting, back and butt heated while my bottom enjoyed a nice little massage, while some relaxing tunes streamed on the radio... all said, when you want this car to really pamper you, the combination of these systems can REALLY do it well. Maybe too well. I almost felt like the multi-contour seats were just missing an ottoman!

The other day I wrote about my first long-use experience with the ACC, and I have to say this 2nd time was that much better. Knowing what to expect going into it this evening, I felt a lot more relaxed letting the car "do its thing"... maybe helped along a bit by the butt massage, heat, caddy-like damper settings, and relaxing tunes on the radio! But nonetheless, it really did a great job. I'm beginning to think that the ACC feature will actually get some good usage.

Lastly, I also wanted to comment about the "nanny systems" - e.g. Driver Assistance Plus. I'm also coming to find myself using these systems more. The blind spot detection is a very welcome secondary assurance that nobody is in my blind spot while changing lanes... which I'm finding even more useful at night when road glare from lights can sometimes play tricks on your.

By day, today, my 550xi was an athletic superstar, dashing about in sport mode and having fun. By night, it became a sanctuary for a relaxing drive home. I LOVE the duality of this car. The hardest part of the drive tonight came at the end where I had to get out of the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Great reviews! But I am beginning to think you either work for BMW or some marketing company is paying you by the word!! Lol
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, I took about an hour drive to see family today, and on the way home this evening I felt both worn out and a bit lazy. So, I decided to see how the combination of features in my new 5 series could ease the situation.

So, here's what I did:

Automatic Cruise Control

I turned on automatic cruise. With it being late, dark, and on a full stomach from dinner, I had no desire to drive spirited or in any rush. I got in the middle lane of the highway and set the cruise to slightly above the speed limit. I quickly came upon a car going slower and the ACC kicked-in, matching the speed perfectly of the car in front. Foot off the accelerator... one chore down.

Dynamic Handling

I was cruising up i-684 through Westchester County NY (just north of NYC), which is not the most well maintained highway. I hadn't yet tried Comfort+, but this seemed like the perfect time. With a little toggle switch tap, the car suddenly loosened up further and the bumps in the pavement started to mellow out.

Heated Seat

With the cold temps, the heated seat would normally serve to warm me up, but I decided it would be nice here just to add a bit of soothing to my muscles. Ahhh.

Active Seat

Heat was nice, but not enough - I flipped on the active seat, and soon my butt was being gently massaged. My muscles instantly started feeling pampered from both the heat and slow massaging motion of the seat.

Satellite Radio

The only thing missing was something relaxing on the radio... and with hundreds of stations to choose from, it wasn't hard to find!

So, here I was cruising down the highway... automatic cruise, dampers set to a super soft setting, back and butt heated while my bottom enjoyed a nice little massage, while some relaxing tunes streamed on the radio... all said, when you want this car to really pamper you, the combination of these systems can REALLY do it well. Maybe too well. I almost felt like the multi-contour seats were just missing an ottoman!

The other day I wrote about my first long-use experience with the ACC, and I have to say this 2nd time was that much better. Knowing what to expect going into it this evening, I felt a lot more relaxed letting the car "do its thing"... maybe helped along a bit by the butt massage, heat, caddy-like damper settings, and relaxing tunes on the radio! But nonetheless, it really did a great job. I'm beginning to think that the ACC feature will actually get some good usage.

Lastly, I also wanted to comment about the "nanny systems" - e.g. Driver Assistance Plus. I'm also coming to find myself using these systems more. The blind spot detection is a very welcome secondary assurance that nobody is in my blind spot while changing lanes... which I'm finding even more useful at night when road glare from lights can sometimes play tricks on your.

By day, today, my 550xi was an athletic superstar, dashing about in sport mode and having fun. By night, it became a sanctuary for a relaxing drive home. I LOVE the duality of this car. The hardest part of the drive tonight came at the end where I had to get out of the car!
Thankfully you didn't fall asleep.
      01-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

I have a pretty long commute to and from work and I have to tell you, there's some relief in the active, heated seats for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
Great reviews! But I am beginning to think you either work for BMW or some marketing company is paying you by the word!! Lol
Doh - you got me! In all seriousness, BMW did try to hire me (I'm in IT - security specifically) about 10 years ago to work out of their NJ HQ. The part of the interview process I was most impressed with was lunch. Their cafeteria was amazing - more like a restaurant... down to the white tablecloths and chefs carving you up whatever you desired. It was a big step up from the typical corporate cafeteria... but not enough to make me take the job. If I recall correctly, the car packages were also very nice... new vehicles every 2 years, heavily subsidized (not free) for most employees.

Grover - agreed. I could definitely see a nap coming on there soon!
Appreciate 0