2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW 4 Series, 5 Series and i3 Win Auto Motor und Sport Reader's Best Cars of 2014

01-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW 4 Series, 5 Series and i3 Win Auto Motor und Sport Reader's Best Cars of 2014

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 4 Series, 5 Series and i3 Win Auto Motor und Sport Reader's Best Cars of 2014
COMMENTS

BMW wins "auto motor und sport" awards in "BEST CARS 2014" readers' vote.

January 30, 2014

Munich.
BMW starts 2014 with four awards from the automobile magazine "auto motor und sport". The BMW i3 (combined fuel consumption: 0.6-0.0 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 13–0 g/km), BMW 4 Series Coupé (combined fuel consumption: 8.4-4.6 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 197-121 g/km), and BMW 5 Series (combined fuel consumption: 9.6-4.5 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 224–119 g/km) were the winners in their respective categories. The BMW i3 was also recognised by the editors-in-chief of "auto motor und sport" as well as more than 30 international partner automobile magazines worldwide for its highly innovative technology with the "International Paul Pietsch Award". Meanwhile the successful overall showing by BMW in the readers' vote was underpinned by second places for the BMW 3 Series (combined fuel consumption: 8.2-4.1 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 193-109 g/km), BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé (combined fuel consumption: 9.4-5.6 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 219-146 g/km), BMW i8 (combined fuel consumption: 2.1 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 49 g/km), and BMW X5 (combined fuel consumption: 10.5-5.6 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 244–149 g/km).

The placements at a glance:

BMW i3: 1st place, small cars
BMW 4 Series Coupé: 1st place, mid-range
BMW 5 Series: 1st place, upper mid-range
BMW 3 Series: 2nd place, mid-range
BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé: 2nd place, luxury performance
BMW i8: 2nd place, sports cars
BMW X5: 2nd place, off-road vehicles
BMW i3: Winner of the "International Paul Pietsch Award"

Dr.-Ing. Norbert Reithofer, CEO of BMW AG, received the award for the BMW i3 as the best small car and the special "International Paul Pietsch Award". Dr.-Ing. Herbert Diess, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development, received the award marking the success of the BMW 4 Series Coupé in the category of mid-range cars. The award for the BMW 5 Series as the best upper mid-range model was presented to Dr. Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Sales and Marketing BMW, Sales Channels BMW Group. The award ceremony was held today at a festive gala event in Stuttgart.

BMW i3: The first entirely electrically powered large-scale serial production model to be manufactured by the BMW Group heralds a whole new era of mobility with its revolutionary vehicle concept and visionary design. The entire conception of the BMW i3 is geared towards electric drive. Unique features are the passenger cell made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic and an extensive range of innovative driver assistance systems and mobility services. Offering sustainable and locally zero-emissions mobility with characteristic BMW driving pleasure as well as being highly suitable for day-to-day use, the BMW i3 impressed readers enough to attract 26.6 per cent of all votes cast, putting it in first place within the small car category.

BMW 4 Series Coupé: The fourth generation of the BMW mid-range coupé sets a new benchmark in terms of aesthetic appeal and dynamic performance. Its elongated styling promises a powerful presence on the road as well as outstanding dynamic performance and pure driving pleasure. The "4" in the model designation highlights its distinctive design and more marked technological differentiation from the BMW 3 Series. The new BMW 4 Series Coupé is much wider and flatter than its predecessor model and gained 17.5 per cent of readers' votes to win first place in the category of mid-range automobiles.

BMW 5 Series: The latest interpretation of the BMW 5 Series adds an additional boost to the model's worldwide success of in the upper mid-range category. An extensive range of efficient and powerful engines, dynamic performance typical of BMW, the intelligent all-wheel drive system xDrive, innovative mobility services and ConnectedDrive applications as well as three body types - this is what makes the BMW 5 Series the world's most successful business model in this vehicle category. It asserted its leading position in the upper mid-range with 28.2 per cent of votes cast.

"International Paul Pietsch Award" goes to the BMW i3:
The editors-in-chief of more than 30 international automobile magazines were called upon to choose the most innovative technology concept of the year. The BMW i3 was the clear winner here with 38 per cent of the vote - and no doubt was left as to the reasons: "This electrically powered BMW, on sale since November 2013, is one of the boldest projects in the history of the automotive industry. With the BMW i3, BMW is treading a completely new path in the field of electromobility in terms of technology and style - with an entirely distinctive body and interior design, the first ever large-scale serial production use of carbon composites and renewable raw materials, sustainable production using green power and smart internet applications."

The "BEST CARS" awards are issued by the automobile magazine "auto motor und sport" every year: they are among the most important awards in the automotive sector and highly coveted among manufacturers. The vote for the best cars was held for the 38th time in 2014, with 384 vehicles nominated on this occasion. A total of 115,285 readers participated.

Appreciate 0