2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Manual Release Tool for Transmission Lock

10-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #23
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by algoodman View Post
Do you know how to unlock the transmission yourself? If the worst happens and you have to have it put on a flat bed how will the truck operator know how to do it?
In theory I do, but have not tried it myself. The guy in the video said their test BMW had been wired to that it would not start for the purpose of their demonstration.

He pushed the starter button while holding down the brake pedal, tapped the shifter in to Neutral twice (two forward pushes without hitting the side button, that would put you in to Reverse) and on the third tap, he held it forward for a few seconds. According to the video, that will disengage the transmission for 15 minutes, allowing you to push/tow/wench the car wherever you need to. Then you would have to ride along with the tow-truck driver and repeat the same process to roll it back off the flat bed.

As smhoer said, how that is supposed to work in the event of a collision where the battery gets disengaged is beyond me. Anyone want to disconnect their battery and give it a whirl? With all the bells and whistles these F10's have, what is the worse that could happen? KITT turn in to KARR?
      03-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
Mooni
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135is

I know this is an old thread but the transmission shift lock release is under the truck on the left side of the transmission. It is a 5mm Allen head screw that needs to be turned all the way in to disengage the transmission. As of 2011 the f50 (updated shifter) transmissions all have it this way.
Appreciate 0