2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Upgrading from non Nav to Nav

10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Upgrading from non Nav to Nav

Anyone here in the US buy a 528i without Nav and pay to upgrade? Just curious what kind of cost. I would rather buy the car with it already but since I am looking at used 2012s, just wondering how much more to add it?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Anyone here in the US buy a 528i without Nav and pay to upgrade? Just curious what kind of cost. I would rather buy the car with it already but since I am looking at used 2012s, just wondering how much more to add it?

Thank you
PM user: cn555ic ... he upgraded the navigation on his E93 to the most current BMW navigation system.

I'm sure he could point you in the right direction, or do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

I need somone that has upgraded a F10 non Nav car to Nav. You are pointing me to someone that just upgraded their current Nav to a newer Nav. Thank you but that doest help since what I need is someone who has bought and had installed the bigger screen and Nav unit. The F10 without Nav has a smaller screen that needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
PM user: cn555ic ... he upgraded the navigation on his E93 to the most current BMW navigation system.

I'm sure he could point you in the right direction, or do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I am responding with the link below only to show you that such services are offered, and the listed price. I am not associated with this company, nor have I used their services. I hope this helps your shopping decision!

Quote:
If your vehicle did not come equipped with OEM Navigation System from factory, but you would like to have it installed, then this retrofit is right for you.

Source:
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...&product_id=61
      10-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Very cool, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for to based on potential cost. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I am responding with the link below only to show you that such services are offered, and the listed price. I am not associated with this company, nor have I used their services. I hope this helps your shopping decision!

Quote:
If your vehicle did not come equipped with OEM Navigation System from factory, but you would like to have it installed, then this retrofit is right for you.

Source:
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...&product_id=61
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I'm happy to help. If I may offer some advice on understanding the total ownership cost of the OEM Nav retrofit, please enquire with the vendor and find out what they will charge you to re-code the system's integration in your car should the coding be wiped out by a dealership-installed software update. An aftermarket Nav installation, even an OEM one, is not considered to be part of the car's Vehicle Order by the BMW maintenance system and will be ignored during software resets or updates. It is possible, but not likely, that your car will live its entire natural life with the software with which it was delivered. If the cost to re-code is $100, or so, then no biggie. If it's many times that, then you may regret not having purchased a car with the Nav factory-installed system because you will hesitate to take your car in for service for fear of incurring additional and repeating cost.

I'm sorry to make this so complex. That's what you get for asking intelligent questions!
      10-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
I did it before. If you are, sort of, handy man, you should just pay for the parts. Bimmerretrofit is where I got them. Here is my DIY thread:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809788

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post

Thank you
You can also contact forum vendor BimmerTech for the full F10 OEM CIC iDrive retrofit...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

makes perfect sense, appreciate the info.

Quote:
I'm happy to help. If I may offer some advice on understanding the total ownership cost of the OEM Nav retrofit, please enquire with the vendor and find out what they will charge you to re-code the system's integration in your car should the coding be wiped out by a dealership-installed software update. An aftermarket Nav installation, even an OEM one, is not considered to be part of the car's Vehicle Order by the BMW maintenance system and will be ignored during software resets or updates. It is possible, but not likely, that your car will live its entire natural life with the software with which it was delivered. If the cost to re-code is $100, or so, then no biggie. If it's many times that, then you may regret not having purchased a car with the Nav factory-installed system because you will hesitate to take your car in for service for fear of incurring additional and repeating cost.

I'm sorry to make this so complex. That's what you get for asking intelligent questions!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, appreciate everyones help. Ended up buying one last night from Beverly Hills BMW, CPO which did have the Nav already, so it worked out. As I was looking there were really only a couple of low mileage without Nav where the price was considerably lower. But I was able to push hard enough on Beverly Hills to get within the range of those cars and having the Nav. Will just have to put those saved funds towards a nice set up wheels/tires, something safe that wont be as easy for the wife to rub the curbs. Cant believe how hard these run flats ride, gotta get them off asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Congratulations!!!! Is the 2012 328i the new car?
      11-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

No sir, we bought the F30 late last year. This one is a 2011 528i and I am pleasantly surprised. I bought the 3 series for my wife and she ended up taking my Audi because she didnt like the Start Stop on the BMW. So when I started looking at the 5 series, I really wanted the 2012 or 13 engine because of the higher torque but since the Start Stop was a deal breaker for her, I looked at 2011, new body style but the 6 cylinder without Start Stop. I wasnt sure the power delivery would be adequate but surprisingly its pretty peppy, especially low end which I didnt expect. Put the gear lever in Sport and it comes alive even more.

Its a big change because we had a 750, then a 550, then even a S550 all of those big V8s and great power and sound. But I would get so mad watching gas prices go up for no reason other than the wind blowing that I decided we were getting efficient. Since most of our driving for both of us is highway, the 3 series is averaging 35+ MPGs. Coming back from LA last night, got 33 from the 5 and that was running about 80 MPH all the way home to OC.

Obviously there is a trade off because we dont get that grunt and torque from a V8 but both of these cars are fun to drive and the best part, even when spirited driving, we have more than doubled the MPGs from our past cars. Sorry the long explanation.....

Quote:
Congratulations!!!! Is the 2012 328i the new car?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
No apology needed! By giving more information, rather than less, you help us who are following the decision-making process to be prepared when we face the same questions. Too bad we did not code the previous car's ASS to be off. Sounds like a little coding session would have saved a lot of frustration.
Appreciate 0