2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iphone snap in adaptor problem

05-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #45
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
I was talking to a dealer tech this week that suggested the media cradle will work in any car fitted with the combox controller but obviously its use is limited if you've not got the 6NR option. he advised that if you've not got 6NR you may as well buy the cheaper non-media cradle.

he was very sceptical about rumours that 6NR could be retrofitted easily, he said the software could be done but he said cars fitted with 6NR have additional "FASBus"? cabling between the cradle and the i-drive unit to allow it to carry ipod out signals. He said cars without 6NR (even combox cars) don't have that cabling.

If all this is true the retrofit would need to include this cabling it seems, tech guy didn't seem to think that would be that easy a job and could be prohibitively expensive.

is there anyone on here that has the media cradle fitted to a car without 6NR? does it do anything useful other than charge the phone and allow you to use the roof antenna/shark fin?

is it only 6NR that gives the iPod style interface on the i-drive screen??? or will the media cradle do that for cars without 6NR?
One positive side to the media one is the vent that keeps the phone cool, i read about it in one of the threads, I am getting my 520 delivered end of june and trying to make my mind up too, if the retrofit is on apparently a new Media cradle will be needed, if not on, i guess its worth checking the vent/cooling aspect of it as few folks talked about over heating phones on the basic cradle.

Last edited by martin mustang; 05-27-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #46
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

Got an F10 on order and I want to use a Blackberry via bluetooth for phone calls and may be emails etc. and an iPhone with the Mobile Application option (6NR with 6NF) and media snap in adapter for audio, video, web radio app etc.

It doesn't say they are mutually exclusive on the configurator so I assume these will work in harmony together at the same time? I.e in the same way as my Blackberry/Ipod set-up on my current coupe?

Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0