2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 2013 M Sport - Tram Line Issues?

10-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

2013 M Sport - Tram Line Issues?

HI All,

I'm interested in comments from those who have a 2013 528/535 X Drive with M Sport. Does your car have tramline issues? Does it track relatively straight on urban roads (asphalt) without constant correction?

My last 5 series was a 1999 540iA that tram-lined a bit but was pretty good. My colleague has a 2010 335 sedan with sport package and he chases it all over the road to keep it going straight (better in the winter with narrower tires).

I don't have a car to test drive where I live, although I may get a chance to fit in a test drive while I'm travelling next week. I love the look of the M Sport but don't want to have to constantly correct it to get it going straight down the road. The 528 X Drive (non M sport) I drove last week was fine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I made some comments in your other thread, but I wanted to respond to the point about your friend's E9X car. If there is really "tramlining" involved, then chasing it undoubtedly just makes it worse and is counterproductive. My 328i coupe did that, but you could take your hands off the wheel and count on the car's directional stability (despite the yawing behavior). My F10, on the other hand, is much less directionally stable -- on the highway it requires much closer attention, not because of tram lining, but because it just wanders. Not much, but enough to be noticeable.

You should drive the car you're interested in enough to make a judgment about its steering and tracking behavior before you commit to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I made some comments in your other thread, but I wanted to respond to the point about your friend's E9X car. If there is really "tramlining" involved, then chasing it undoubtedly just makes it worse and is counterproductive. My 328i coupe did that, but you could take your hands off the wheel and count on the car's directional stability (despite the yawing behavior). My F10, on the other hand, is much less directionally stable -- on the highway it requires much closer attention, not because of tram lining, but because it just wanders. Not much, but enough to be noticeable.

You should drive the car you're interested in enough to make a judgment about its steering and tracking behavior before you commit to it.
I agree about test driving. I'll be in Toronto on Monday and hope to fit a test drive in.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, one more thing. In the U.S. version, M Sport in 2013 was cosmetics only: front and rear skirts, door plates, steering wheel, driver footrest, badges here and there. The only performance-related elements of US M Sport are the wheels and tires. So no suspension changes and such. I would think that would be true in Canada as well, at least for the xDrive model. In the U.S., M Sport xDrive means all-season tires on 18" rims. So my comments above are from that perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Oh, one more thing. In the U.S. version, M Sport in 2013 was cosmetics only: front and rear skirts, door plates, steering wheel, driver footrest, badges here and there. The only performance-related elements of US M Sport are the wheels and tires. So no suspension changes and such. I would think that would be true in Canada as well, at least for the xDrive model. In the U.S., M Sport xDrive means all-season tires on 18" rims. So my comments above are from that perspective.
I'm not sure but I think we get performance RF tires on 19" wheels in Canada with the M Sport package. In 2014, I think the configuration allows for a choice between all season and performance tires. We also don't get staggered sizes up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

You can special order the summer high performance tires. $400 special order charge + the price difference on the tires, I believe it's another $500 ?. Another blogger did this but had to call BMW Canada first to authorize, in turn, the dealer will get the go ahead to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I'm not sure but I think we get performance RF tires on 19" wheels in Canada with the M Sport package. In 2014, I think the configuration allows for a choice between all season and performance tires. We also don't get staggered sizes up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
You can special order the summer high performance tires. $400 special order charge + the price difference on the tires, I believe it's another $500 ?. Another blogger did this but had to call BMW Canada first to authorize, in turn, the dealer will get the go ahead to do so.
The blogger you are talking about was probably me -- unless some other Canucks have done this as well.

The total cost to order the summer rubber with staggered wheels ended up being about 500 in total, consisting of a special order charge and, in my case, the labour charge to switch tires (due to the fact that my car had started production before I got BMW Canada to agree to let me have the 2ND option, so the 2ND wheels and tires were put on another car my dealership was ordering and they are going to switch my 2NB tires/wheels with the 2ND set when both cars are at the dealership).

Unless the ordering guide has changed since late August when I placed my order, Canadians are only allowed to order 2NB on their M Sport packages, which includes the 19" all season run flats and square set-up wheels (unless you do what I did and deal with head office to make 2ND happen). I have heard rumours that the website now lists summer rubber as an option, so it is quite possible that it can be ordered without dealing with head office. I haven't checked the website recently. That said, the website also says you can order black nappa leather, and we all know that just isn't true for MY2014!!

My 550 is at the dealership now -- I'm just waiting for the car with my tires and wheels to show up there. Unfortunately, my car and the car with my 2ND package were not shipped from Bremerhaven on the same ship The dealer thinks I should be able to take delivery this week. That should give me a few weeks on the fun rubber before switching over to PA4s for the winter.

Last edited by Snarry; 10-19-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarry View Post
The blogger you are talking about was probably me -- unless some other Canucks have done this as well.

The total cost to order the summer rubber with staggered wheels ended up being about 500 in total, consisting of a special order charge and, in my case, the labour charge to switch tires (due to the fact that my car had started production before I got BMW Canada to agree to let me have the 2ND option, so the 2ND wheels and tires were put on another car my dealership was ordering and they are going to switch my 2NB tires/wheels with the 2ND set when both cars are at the dealership).

Unless the ordering guide has changed since late August when I placed my order, Canadians are only allowed to order 2NB on their M Sport packages, which includes the 19" all season run flats and square set-up wheels (unless you do what I did and deal with head office to make 2ND happen). I have heard rumours that the website now lists summer rubber as an option, so it is quite possible that it can be ordered without dealing with head office. I haven't checked the website recently. That said, the website also says you can order black nappa leather, and we all know that just isn't true for MY2014!!

My 550 is at the dealership now -- I'm just waiting for the car with my tires and wheels to show up there. Unfortunately, my car and the car with my 2ND package were not shipped from Bremerhaven on the same ship The dealer thinks I should be able to take delivery this week. That should give me a few weeks on the fun rubber before switching over to PA4s for the winter.
Will you use 19's for the winter or 18's?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My winter setup is 18" 245/40 Michelin PA4s on all four corners. I am going to use an E60 M5 replica wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarry View Post
My winter setup is 18" 245/40 Michelin PA4s on all four corners. I am going to use an E60 M5 replica wheel.
We get allot of snow on the prairies, so I was considering 225's which should be better in deeper snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you are getting separate wheels for winter/snow use, consider 17" instead of 18" or 19". Narrower tires with more profile will do a better job in winter conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R run-flat winter tires on 18" wheels (clone of older M5 style, double 5-spoke). Tread width is still 245mm. They handled snow storms, ice, and deep snow with no issues whatsoever. They are also just as quiet as the BMW stock all-seasons. The xDrive and hakkapeliittas are an amazing combination, and I was often surprised on just how good this setup worked in real winter. Hey, I spent three years in Cold Lake as well, and know the conditions you might be facing, and you would not be disappointed with a combo like that.

One more point, I picked up my winter set-up at Kal Tire, and got a very reasonable price. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
We get allot of snow on the prairies, so I was considering 225's which should be better in deeper snow.
I actually wanted to go with 225s -- that is what I currently have on my 2011 335xi MSport and narrower is definitely better in snow. However, the PA4s didn't come in an 18" size with a profile that would work with 550 other than by using 245 width so I had no choice. I also wanted to go with a 17" wheel, but the brakes on the 550 are too big to take anything less than an 18".
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Test drove a 2013 M Sport in Oakville today. While I was unable to find any rutted asphalt roads, we did drive allot of uneven surfaces and the car tracked perfectly without any tramlining or pulling. there was a significant vibration though, which I initially thought was a result of a stiff ride. I tried switching to comfort mode but the ride didn't really improve. The SA told me that the comfort/sport modes only adjust steering effort and throttle sensitivity, not the dampers. That was news to me. The vibration was flat spots on the tires, that he said would roll out once they warmed up. After a few minutes the problem was gone.

I'm torn between a silver/space gray and white car. I loved driving it though. I'll just have to check room for the kids with the car seat installed. If it isn't too tight, I think I'll have a deal done by the end of the week on one of the colours.

Cars come with M+S tires, but they aren't all seasons, so I'll need a set from The Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

No tram lining on the 2014 M Sport I test drove at my local dealer yesterday. Where did you guys get your BMW oem wheels?
Appreciate 0