2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Our Community

09-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Our Community

Our community, from what I've been able to observe... is strongly informative and helpful in assistance. However, there's a few flaws I'd like to address. I'll begin with the most apparent first:

For those that constantly preach the "clean" look concerning emblems or design sense... the reason these dealership badges aren't attractive is because of the gaudy chrome and its reflectiveness, which distract the eyes and is too much... not the fact its a badge. Rebadging an M5 substituted with a black or more subtle color vs the native chrome is sometimes more tangible than debadging.

As a lead concept artist, I am always re-educating new artists the difference between "clean" and simple. Clean is rendering your details coherently to demonstrate smooth transitions and provide a refreshing cadence; basically, a lot can be going on, but be careful to invoke parlance without becoming too busy. Simple, is well... when there isn't much of anything.

I just feel its unhealthy thinking and eventually forms a bias against more complicated approaches. A past student of mine favored silhouette landscapes > beautifully defined landscape paintings. His argument was that duo-tone images were more "clean" and simple -- his opinion. He eventually learned that it was just...simple. After years of demanding and humbling experiences as an artist, he realized how his perception was distorted and created a one-dimensional mindset.

The dangers I heed in these caveats is that, if we restrict our vision to considering only simple as clean...then we omit our ability to APPRECIATE anything outside of that gamut. I have seen some 5ers bashed because they decided to rebadge with another color instead of debadging completely when it was absolutely fine and done correctly. Another example was someone who painted their reflectors a different color than the vehicle and was told it isn't clean so they didn't like it. I thought the contrast was liberating and added a nice touch.

In even more extreme situations, a member was undermined with his 5-series compared to a Honda or Acura simply because he upgraded to black grilles. I was under the impression that we as a community denote a mature standard -- after seeing the age group from the how old is everyone thread. That's not to say that we're forbidden from having fun and being silly every now and then... lets just not transform this into a high school environment where we all have to be generic. Doing so closes the doors for anyone looking to express something unique and exciting.

So, the point I'm delineating is that... we intrinsically set policies and trends by how we judge each other. Newcomers, like any logical human would do when faced with social challenges... will try and adopt these precepts so they may blend or fit in. We are responsible for the behaviors associated with our community even if we aren't the moderators of these forums. Try not to hate or engage in attacks simply because it isn't your cup of tea.

I apologize for those who had to painfully read all this nonsense lol. I really like it here, and think there's room to grow. Just trying to contribute. That's my dip of the pen.

"Stay classy" - LACSTER

Last edited by HighConcept; 09-14-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
GringoEd
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i MSport

Very thoughtful post. Thank you. I want my F10 to be an expression of my energy and character. I use subtle refinements and accessories to accomplish that: wheel/tire selection, color, personalized license tag, performance upgrades to name a few.
The joke is on me. Bimmer or not, I am a 64- year old grandfather who is obviously a fugitive from weight watchers.
I remember Mickey Roarke in Sin City: " Cars these days all look like electric shavers."
I just want to have the Baddest electric shaver when the light turns green.
Have fun! Life is too short to drive a boring car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
GXAlan
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535i SE

I agree. The beauty of the F10 is that it's a very well proportioned car that works across all age groups. You have owners in their 20's and 30's who are picking an F10 5-series over a 3-series or sports cars and you have owners in their 60's and 70's who find the comfort and luxury to be superior than anything else on the market in this price point.

In my book, the only "wrong" thing to do with vehicle modification is re-badging in the upward direction. If you bought the 528i, it looks silly to put a 550i badge on it.

Embrace the difference. The 528i has the same luxurious interior as the M5 but comes with superb fuel economy. The 535i is the Goldilocks of the series with just enough power and just enough weight to be nimble. Let's not forget that there's something intangibly satisfying about owning a BMWs with straight-6's the same way a it's statisfying to own a red Ferrari or a British green Jaguar.

If you own a US 535d, it's completely legit to keep the 535d badging. If rebadging to a 530d is something you want (the way Infiniti G owners rebadged to Nissan Skyline), that's completely appropriate too. You'd just look silly putting a M550d badge on it.

Outside of "badge upgrades", it's your car -- you should enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

Wow, never looked at it that way with the clean and simple thing. That made a lot of sense tho, but you know, some of us aren't artists or as experienced so I do appreciate the writeup bro.

I think a lot of people wanna post their cars to see then don't because they afraid getting bashed on.

One thing I agree with completely is rebadging to another model is stupid lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
btv764
.:
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post
Our community, from what I've been able to observe... is strongly informative and helpful in assistance. However, there's a few flaws I'd like to address. I'll begin with the most apparent first:

For those that constantly preach the "clean" look concerning emblems or design sense... the reason these dealership badges aren't attractive is because of the gaudy chrome and its reflectiveness, which distract the eyes and is too much... not the fact its a badge. Rebadging an M5 substituted with a black or more subtle color vs the native chrome is sometimes more tangible than debadging.

As a lead concept artist, I am always re-educating new artists the difference between "clean" and simple. Clean is rendering your details coherently to demonstrate smooth transitions and provide a refreshing cadence; basically, a lot can be going on, but be careful to invoke parlance without becoming too busy. Simple, is well... when there isn't much of anything.

I just feel its unhealthy thinking and eventually forms a bias against more complicated approaches. A past student of mine favored silhouette landscapes > beautifully defined landscape paintings. His argument was that duo-tone images were more "clean" and simple -- his opinion. He eventually learned that it was just...simple. After years of demanding and humbling experiences as an artist, he realized how his perception was distorted and created a one-dimensional mindset.

The dangers I heed in these caveats is that, if we restrict our vision to considering only simple as clean...then we omit our ability to APPRECIATE anything outside of that gamut. I have seen some 5ers bashed because they decided to rebadge with another color instead of debadging completely when it was absolutely fine and done correctly. Another example was someone who painted their reflectors a different color than the vehicle and was told it isn't clean so they didn't like it. I thought the contrast was liberating and added a nice touch.

In even more extreme situations, a member was undermined with his 5-series compared to a Honda or Acura simply because he upgraded to black grilles. I was under the impression that we as a community denote a mature standard -- after seeing the age group from the how old is everyone thread. That's not to say that we're forbidden from having fun and being silly every now and then... lets just not transform this into a high school environment where we all have to be generic. Doing so closes the doors for anyone looking to express something unique and exciting.

So, the point I'm delineating is that... we intrinsically set policies and trends by how we judge each other. Newcomers, like any logical human would do when faced with social challenges... will try and adopt these precepts so they may blend or fit in. We are responsible for the behaviors associated with our community even if we aren't the moderators of these forums. Try not to hate or engage in attacks simply because it isn't your cup of tea.

I apologize for those who had to painfully read all this nonsense lol. I really like it here, and think there's room to grow. Just trying to contribute. That's my dip of the pen.

"Stay classy" - Lacster
Interesting take on things....I agree.
      09-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoEd View Post
Very thoughtful post. Thank you. I want my F10 to be an expression of my energy and character. I use subtle refinements and accessories to accomplish that: wheel/tire selection, color, personalized license tag, performance upgrades to name a few.
The joke is on me. Bimmer or not, I am a 64- year old grandfather who is obviously a fugitive from weight watchers.
I remember Mickey Roarke in Sin City: " Cars these days all look like electric shavers."
I just want to have the Baddest electric shaver when the light turns green.
Have fun! Life is too short to drive a boring car.
Thank you. And I totally agree... life is way too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXAlan View Post
I agree. The beauty of the F10 is that it's a very well proportioned car that works across all age groups. You have owners in their 20's and 30's who are picking an F10 5-series over a 3-series or sports cars and you have owners in their 60's and 70's who find the comfort and luxury to be superior than anything else on the market in this price point.

In my book, the only "wrong" thing to do with vehicle modification is re-badging in the upward direction. If you bought the 528i, it looks silly to put a 550i badge on it.

Embrace the difference. The 528i has the same luxurious interior as the M5 but comes with superb fuel economy. The 535i is the Goldilocks of the series with just enough power and just enough weight to be nimble. Let's not forget that there's something intangibly satisfying about owning a BMWs with straight-6's the same way a it's statisfying to own a red Ferrari or a British green Jaguar.

If you own a US 535d, it's completely legit to keep the 535d badging. If rebadging to a 530d is something you want (the way Infiniti G owners rebadged to Nissan Skyline), that's completely appropriate too. You'd just look silly putting a M550d badge on it.

Outside of "badge upgrades", it's your car -- you should enjoy it.
Yes, posers...with their false representation and identity lol. That wouldn't be considered modding at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassM View Post
Wow, never looked at it that way with the clean and simple thing. That made a lot of sense tho, but you know, some of us aren't artists or as experienced so I do appreciate the writeup bro.

I think a lot of people wanna post their cars to see then don't because they afraid getting bashed on.

One thing I agree with completely is rebadging to another model is stupid lol.
Very true, I see the world from an artistic pov in a much more colorful setting with the knowledge and experience I've attained. That's actually a big reason why opinions are "subjective" and so scattered everywhere vs life being more "objective" in comprehension; everyone has a different level in intelligence, behavior, and influence.

This post is to encourage those who are afraid of expressing their creative concoction in modding or develop anxiety voicing an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btv764 View Post
Interesting take on things....I agree.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post

"Stay classy" - Lacster
Excellent post and I agree 100%

Never understood why people over use the term "clean" when they are commenting about a stock car. Its not clean, its stock. Nothing wrong with it but just not the right term to use. Plus i've always believe that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all unless someone is asking for your opinion.

Alan
      09-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Very well said @HighConcept and refreshing to see something like this on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

Excellent post High Concept.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Excellent post and I agree 100%

Never understood why people over use the term "clean" when they are commenting about a stock car. Its not clean, its stock. Nothing wrong with it but just not the right term to use. Plus i've always believe that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all unless someone is asking for your opinion.

Alan
Yeah, exactly how I feel haha -- you understand me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Very well said @HighConcept and refreshing to see something like this on the forums.
I HAD to just edit my post...in realizing your username is actually in all caps lol. One of the most influential presences here, I saw your character as one of the most modest and humbling... so I had to just steal your line used in an earlier thread and quoted it.

Thanks for the comment, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
Excellent post High Concept.
Idk about excellent, but I'm grateful you enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

In a team building exercise I once participated in, the facilitator cleverly taught different people in our group different "rules" for a game we were to play. When the game commenced, I was very strict about the appication of "the rules" and could not understand why my team mates "didn't get it". It was quite an interesting experience lol.

Our cars should be personal expressions of ourselves. If someone is proud of their "expression" and wish to share, it's more in keeping with the spirit of this forum to share in their joy.

If someone is genuinely seeking opinions though, I believe it's also appropriate to give honest feedback (without being hurtful).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
In a team building exercise I once participated in, the facilitator cleverly taught different people in our group different "rules" for a game we were to play. When the game commenced, I was very strict about the appication of "the rules" and could not understand why my team mates "didn't get it". It was quite an interesting experience lol.

Our cars should be personal expressions of ourselves. If someone is proud of their "expression" and wish to share, it's more in keeping with the spirit of this forum to share in their joy.

If someone is genuinely seeking opinions though, I believe it's also appropriate to give honest feedback (without being hurtful).
Precisely, big difference between criticism and just outright nasty remarks.
Appreciate 0