2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions How to remove the back seat, BMW F10 W/O through loading option 465

04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
How to remove the back seat, BMW F10 W/O through loading option 465

Here is DIY for removing the rear seats on 5er F10 without through loading option (465)
There are different possible reasons that you may need to remove the back seats, e.g. Having access to parcel shelf to add speakers or subwoofers.
Here are the steps:

1- remove the bottom part of the seat by pulling its front up. There are two notches (shown in pics) that are holding it in place each one approximately at the center of each of the back seats. Pull the seat up at those locations.

Name:  IMG_1.jpg
Views: 95258
Size:  445.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2.jpg
Views: 33820
Size:  488.2 KB

2- push the seatbelt locks into their hole.

3- slide the seat toward the front of the car and up.
Note: you may need to do steps 2 and 3 in intermittent efforts to release the seatbelt locks.

4- using a Torx 45 unscrew two screws at the bottom of the back part near seatbelt locks (shown in pics)

Name:  IMG_3.jpg
Views: 38736
Size:  410.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4.JPG
Views: 34665
Size:  332.5 KB

5- at the two lower corners of the back part, near doors, there are two long tongues. Slide them out of their hole by pulling the corners up and front.
Note: these tongues may pop back into their holes.

6- pull the seatbelts and put the behind the edges of the back part (shown in pics). If you don't do this step when you are pulling the back part explained in step 7, the seatbelt auto locks won't let you do your job, so you have to keep them away.

Name:  IMG_5.jpg
Views: 33655
Size:  290.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6.jpg
Views: 33847
Size:  492.0 KB

7- pull (hard) the back part up. There are two notches (shown in pics) that the back part is locked in them and by pulling up you should release the back, so don't be afraid to pull hard.

Name:  IMG_7.JPG
Views: 64515
Size:  280.5 KB
Name:  IMG_8.JPG
Views: 54948
Size:  394.7 KB

That's it.
When putting back everything go to the reverse order of the steps above. The most difficult part of putting back is when you want to put back the seatbelt locks into their holes in the seat while sliding the seat back into its place. (good luck with that)

UPDATE: for the seat belt problem, you either can use lancar's shoelace idea or can use duct tape (sorry for poor mobile quality):
Attached Images

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white

Last edited by Zaman; 01-16-2016 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 4
jbeer154.50
      04-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Thank you for this. Now I can hardwire my dashcam.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
mikessc
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10

Thank You. Might need this in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthankzbye View Post
Thank you for this. Now I can hardwire my dashcam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikessc View Post
Thank You. Might need this in the future.
YWC guys. Let me know if you had any questions.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Keith Alexander
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d X Drive M Sport

Rear seat / seatback removal F30

Hi,

Came across your post regards rear seat removal on an F10, I only signed up to this Forum a few days ago and am desperate to know how to perform the same operation on an F30. I've opened a thread on General and DIY for an F30 but so far have only received the one reply and don't think it is relevant. would appreciate if you can help in any way?

FYI. The rear seat is fixed and I can see the two Torx connections at he base of the seatback but no info on the top connections or how to release them!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
Iancar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Seatbelt and trunk access

Loved your post. I needed it to access the battery in the trunk to hardwire my dashcam. I was able to access the trunk without removing the back pad. I just pulled it out a little and saw a small opening. See image. Also, when putting seat back together, I wrapped (do not tie) a shoe string around each seat belt buckle and pulled it through the seat opening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #7
Iancar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Seatbelt and trunk access image 2

Seatbelt image
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jbeer154.50
      03-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #8
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaman
Here is DIY for removing the rear seats on 5er F10 without through loading option (465)
There are different possible reasons that you may need to remove the back seats, e.g. Having access to parcel shelf to add speakers or subwoofers.
Here are the steps:

1- remove the bottom part of the seat by pulling its front up. There are two notches (shown in pics) that are holding it in place each one approximately at the center of each of the back seats. Pull the seat up at those locations.

Attachment 841065
Attachment 841066

2- push the seatbelt locks into their hole.

3- slide the seat toward the front of the car and up.
Note: you may need to do steps 2 and 3 in intermittent efforts to release the seatbelt locks.

4- using a Torx 45 unscrew two screws at the bottom of the back part near seatbelt locks (shown in pics)

Attachment 841067
Attachment 841068

5- at the two lower corners of the back part, near doors, there are two long tongues. Slide them out of their hole by pulling the corners up and front.
Note: these tongues may pop back into their holes.

6- pull the seatbelts and put the behind the edges of the back part (shown in pics). If you don't do this step when you are pulling the back part explained in step 7, the seatbelt auto locks won't let you do your job, so you have to keep them away.

Attachment 841069
Attachment 841070

7- pull (hard) the back part up. There are two notches (shown in pics) that the back part is locked in them and by pulling up you should release the back, so don't be afraid to pull hard.

Attachment 841071
Attachment 841072

That's it.
When putting back everything go to the reverse order of the steps above. The most difficult part of putting back is when you want to put back the seatbelt locks into their holes in the seat while sliding the seat back into its place. (good luck with that)
Very nice job: i have a question: adding the two device in the trunk to unlock the rear seats and also the hinges instead of screw on the bottom could it be a retrofit workable? Even then you cant split because is a single part the possibility to fold down is a great things coming from the basis locked.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iancar View Post
Loved your post. I needed it to access the battery in the trunk to hardwire my dashcam. I was able to access the trunk without removing the back pad. I just pulled it out a little and saw a small opening. See image. Also, when putting seat back together, I wrapped (do not tie) a shoe string around each seat belt buckle and pulled it through the seat opening.
The shoe lace is a very good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
Very nice job: i have a question: adding the two device in the trunk to unlock the rear seats and also the hinges instead of screw on the bottom could it be a retrofit workable? Even then you cant split because is a single part the possibility to fold down is a great things coming from the basis locked.
I think just adding hinges at the bottom won't work. It should be a mechanism to be able to both rotate and shift a little upward to fold completely on the seating part. If you put only hinges, I think, it won't fold down completely. (see the actuall hinge for load through back seats)

The other thing that might prevent the back parts to fold completely is the side section that is attached to back part. (compare the load through and fixed seats below)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
mhatz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 F10 535IX

Can you give me the link for this post to add fold down seats?

Zaman,

Two questions,

One, this is the best pictorial of the fold down seats I've seen. I bought fold down seats off e-bay and now need a few parts to complete the job, can you give me the web site that you got this from? I need to order the latches and one hinge?

Two, I also need the rear part shelf and that is the part that seems hardest to find. I contacted all the salvage yards I could look up on Google, nothing. Any suggestions?

Michael
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatz View Post
Zaman,

Two questions,

One, this is the best pictorial of the fold down seats I've seen. I bought fold down seats off e-bay and now need a few parts to complete the job, can you give me the web site that you got this from? I need to order the latches and one hinge?

Two, I also need the rear part shelf and that is the part that seems hardest to find. I contacted all the salvage yards I could look up on Google, nothing. Any suggestions?

Michael
Realoem.com is your friend.

You will find the pics along with part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
peter91118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325xit, '09 335i

How long does it take to remove about?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If you follow the instructions, it takes less than 5 min. Putting them back takes longer as you have to put the seatbelt buckles through the seat holes.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #15
Anad
Rep
Drives: 2014MY F10 520D Luxury

My special thanks to Zaman for the clear seat removal instructions. I rarely post on here but follow the posts on a regular basis as it's a great source of information.
Bad, almost hurricane winds here in the last days made a situation of my F10 back window glass verses neighbours roof tile....and the tile won. National glass cleared the shattered glass from throughout the car (there was even some on the dash), but could not access the glass from what i would call the air vent at the very rear, boot/trunk side of the parcel shelf. I followed Zamans guide which was great.
To remove the parcel shelf you first have to take out the trim panels each side (maybe they are called the C piller?) and to do this you pop off the covers that say airbag and unsrcrew the torx screw. Yes it says airbag and no i'm not trained in anyway for this but i was gentle and all was well. The panels pull away from their mounting at the front and then slide back towards you. just below where the seat back headrests were, you will see x5 retaining plugs and for these you have to pull out a centre pin with pliers and then prise the plugs out, i used a 1"chisel which levered each plug out. The shelf then lifts from the front upwards and then slides towards you, leaving the air vent in place. You have to disconnect the two speaker connectionts by pressing down a tab on the blue connector blocks. I got all the glass remains using a vacuum.
Just one point which might be of interest, when putting the seat base back in, i offered up the two seatbelt base connectors into the seat base and pushed them as far as i could access but they were still a quarter of the way up in the holes. A shoelace is a great option recommended to pull them through but i used the actual seat belt buckle from the belt itself and managed to get the belt to click into the buckle on each side, and with the smallest wriggle both buckles were through and in position. New screen now fitted and for the next few months i will be cleaning up the tiny glass bits from throughout the car.
Thanks once again, Andy.