2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iPod won't synch

07-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
CanadianGOLD2010
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F10 535I

iPod won't synch

Has anyone had trouble synching there iPod to the hard drive. I was using the USB connection and it says not compatable. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't actually "sync" an iPod to the harddrive - in any car.

This could result in piracy (and is somewhat redundant, no?).

In all of my other cars, you can only "rip" CD's to the harddrive - even on cars which had CompactFlash slots, the CF card was strictly used for Gracenote CD info updates on an album-by-album basis.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't actually "sync" an iPod to the harddrive - in any car.

This could result in piracy (and is somewhat redundant, no?).

In all of my other cars, you can only "rip" CD's to the harddrive - even on cars which had CompactFlash slots, the CF card was strictly used for Gracenote CD info updates on an album-by-album basis.

If you have an ipod you need the ipod interface 6FL ordered with your car and an additional interface cable sold by your dealer. Then you can "sync" your ipod with your idrive and use the buttons on the steering wheel to control the ipod.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

You won’t be able to sync an iPod or iPhone to the car. You can only listen to it and control it via the steering wheel controls. You can, however, put all of your songs on a USB stick and use the glove-box USB port to copy them on to the car. Or as someone above mentioned, burn a CD (I think MP3 disks work) and rip that to the car – the USB idea is much easier and quicker.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

I've been playing around with the ipod interface over the last few days. One thing I can not suss out is if this car is able to display album artwork?

Has anyone got this bit working? if so, how?

Roy
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
I've been playing around with the ipod interface over the last few days. One thing I can not suss out is if this car is able to display album artwork?

Has anyone got this bit working? if so, how?
This is not yet available.

As per the recent press on the subject, "iPod Out" will be available starting in the Fall with iOS 4 devices (newer iPod Touch and iPhones running this):

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ipod-out-mode/

Not sure if it's a simple firmware update or a complete nav system revision.

The other big "new" forthcoming iDrive/ConnectedDrive feature is the ability to read BlackBerry email messages.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And, again, you cannot sync MP3 players with automobile music harddrives. The RIAA and music labels would not ever allow this (nor does it make any logical sense).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorban View Post
If you have an ipod you need the ipod interface 6FL ordered with your car and an additional interface cable sold by your dealer. Then you can "sync" your ipod with your idrive and use the buttons on the steering wheel to control the ipod.
I know you can't really sync the ipod with the car but the interface works great and you are able to chose from your playlists, artist and genre on the idrive screen.

I have an 80 GB ipod in my car and I never use the CD player.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
And, again, you cannot sync MP3 players with automobile music harddrives. The RIAA and music labels would not ever allow this (nor does it make any logical sense).
Well, that's not quite true. You can plug USB devices that appear as mass-storage devices into the USB port in the glove compartment. From there you can import music from that device into the hard drive in the car. It's all described in the F10 Owner's Manual starting at page 186. You can also put CDs in the car and it will import that music into the hard drive on the car.

Personally, I just leave a flash drive plugged into the USB in the center console (6FL option) and stream the music directly off that. It has way more storage than the car allows.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Well, that's not quite true. You can plug USB devices that appear as mass-storage devices into the USB port in the glove compartment. From there you can import music from that device into the hard drive in the car. It's all described in the F10 Owner's Manual starting at page 186. You can also put CDs in the car and it will import that music into the hard drive on the car.
I'm surprised about this, especially for piracy reasons. All recent Nissan/Infiniti automobiles I've owned state the opposite due to a fight with the RIAA or USA/Japanese authorities. I guess the Germans just don't care (which is surprising with Bertelsmann, et al).

Quote:
Personally, I just leave a flash drive plugged into the USB in the center console (6FL option) and stream the music directly off that. It has way more storage than the car allows.
I agree here. Also the hassle of updating/syncing seems unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I'm surprised about this, especially for piracy reasons. All recent Nissan/Infiniti automobiles I've owned state the opposite due to a fight with the RIAA or USA/Japanese authorities. I guess the Germans just don't care (which is surprising with Bertelsmann, et al).

I agree here. Also the hassle of updating/syncing seems unnecessary.
Well, in many countries it is legal to rip CD's you own into mp3's. Then of course you must be able to transfer those onto your car's entertainment system.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

When you export songs you own from the Idrive system. The files carry a simple encryption code that turn the mp3 files into b4r files, essentially making them useless to anyone else. Unless the person requiring the files also has the idrive system, then they can import your music to their car.

So it's "sort" of worked out to stop piracy, but as always, where's there a will, there is always a way.
Appreciate 0