2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 air suspension bag - aftermarket parts

01-29-2023, 04:09 AM   #1
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWs: 530d 2013, X1 2.0D 2016

F11 air suspension bag - aftermarket parts

My 535D has started to sag on the near side, occasionally. Compressor pumps it up ok. I suspect it's a leaking air bag, which I had on my previous 530. My question is, what brands of replacement unit should I go for?

The BMW OEM parts are ridiculously expensive, and questionable build quality. The Arnott units are very good indeed, but at over £200 each. There's address lots of cheap (Chinese?) units on EBAY, but I wonder how long these would last. Does anyone have experience of Apec or Dunlop air bags?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
jayw13702
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

I used Aerosus bags, cost me £300 for the pair and were shipped in a few days from Germany.

The feedback I received about Aerosus was pretty good so figured it was worth the punt
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just picked up a pair of brand new (boxed) Arnotts for £200, plan to fit them when I get time this week. Just couldn't bring myself to fit the cheapo ones, although lots of people have done successfully.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:42 PM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have used these on loads of cars now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I compared the oem to these and Arnotts as I had all three.

The oem and these felt exactly the same, the Arnotts one felt the same but raised the car 7mm.

My car has done 70k on those springs. Mates has done over 100k.

The same make I have used on an X5 and that has also done over 100k on them.

They are so cheap you can buy the pair, use one and keep the other in the back as a spare.
I swapped my mates on his drive for him the other day in around 30 mins.

Jack up and remove wheel.
Pull fuse for the compressor.
Undo the hose from the compressor going to the spring your changing to deflate,
Once spring is almost flat, stab bag with knife (gets all air out and makes it really easy to get out).
Knock spring out of arm at bottom.
Then twist it off at the top and undo the 10mm nut and remove the hose.
Take off Olive ring.
Transfer the plastic mount to new spring.

IMPORTANT.
Slide the hose into the new bag without removing the nut!
It will slide in and the olive ring will grab it, so push in the hose as far as you can.
Now pull back and the olive ring will have it held.

Push up into car at the top and twist.

Now attach the hose at compressor again. (don't over tighten)

Now have someone to help, you want someone to put the fuse back in (they may need to hit the ignition too) while you guide the bottom of the spring into the hole.
It will fill with air pretty quick. So putting the fuse in, or starting car, yourself, doesn't leave you enough time to get back to the spring and make sure it goes into the hole properly.

You can do it, but it is much easier if you have someone to help.

You can also ignore the bit about removing the hose from the compressor, and just stab the air spring, but be aware it might be pretty high pressure.
if the car has already sank, unlock the car and pull the fuse so it can't pump up.
This was the job can be done in 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did think about just stabbing the bag to avoid having to get to the compressor, but one of the springs is still good, so prefer not to damage it, and I'll replace both sides.
Just wondering why you need to remove the fuse - I think the compressor only operates with the ignition on. Otherwise it wouldn't sag overnight?
Also, your bit about using the compressor to inflate the bag as part of the installation - I'm sure I didn't do this last time - I just pulled the bag to extend it to fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, if you can get it to slot in before great, but a couple of times it has been about 2cm short.

I just prefer to pull the fuse, if the car is not asleep the compressor can start.
Mind you, my last two have had keyless entry, if you haven't got that, I guess it is not needed.

I missed that you have bought Arnotts springs, if using them definitely change the pair as, they do sit slightly higher than oem and they won't be level if you mix them.

I had a photo I was trying to find showing OEM, Chineses and the Arnott all next to each other, the Arnott has a different top. I think you lose the spacer when using them, it was probably 4 or 5 years ago now. But just double check that.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #7
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep

I changed both airbags this morning - went with Anott units as I got them for £200 a pair. I've not yet refitted the compressor covers because I want to be sure there's no leak. I can't see any sagging, but after a short test drive, when I park up I can hear the compressor running briefly, then a few seconds of hiss (like a dump valve). Then silence.

Obviously I can hear things I wouldn't normally because I have the covers off, but is it normal for the compressor to run when I stop? I drive forwards from the road on to my drive, and then reverse for a few metres - maybe the suspension adjusts itself? And is there a dump valve to relieve compressor pressure after it's stopped?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Maybe the car thinks it is sat too high, so drops some pressure?

I would just spray soapy water around the nut you undid at the compressor end, it could just be leaking a little there. If you hear the compressor running briefly when you stop, then it suggests it is loosing air somewhere and filling back up.

The valve on the compressor to release the air is at the end of the chamber, and is full of silica beads.
How long have the bags been leaking?
If the pump is contantly on/off these beads can absorb too much moisture and I suppose get swollem, which then blocks the release of air, but that isn't what is happening if you hear a release of air.

I would drive it for a couple of days and see how you go. But definitely spray water on the nut which you undid. I have had that leak after doing these.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT! It is plastic and can be worn very easily. If you have done that already use some plumbers tapes or similar to get a seal.

But you will probably find some soapy water will show some bubbles and a 1/16th of a turn will stop any leaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:28 AM   #9
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep

So this morning the bags are still inflated, no sagging. Took it for a short drive, all seems fine, and no sign of compressor kicking-in. Soapy water test did not show up any leakage. Refitted the covers, and will monitor carefully over the next few days.

I know this is a fairly easy job, and there is lots of info about already, but I did a write-up as there were a few things I learned.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW F11 air suspension bag replacement.pdf (868.3 KB, 107 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #10
Ian_D
Rep
Drives: 2013 535d Touring

Garage List
Fantastic write up, Will need to do this job on mine soon as it keeps randomly going down. Sometimes it will last days, other times a few hours.
Appreciate 0