2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum DSC and X-Drive AND Drivetrain Malfunction

02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

DSC and X-Drive AND Drivetrain Malfunction

I had my 535 x-drive washed yesterday at the handwash in my underground parking in my office complex. When I went to pick it up and move it to a regular parking spot I got an error stating DSC and X-Drive malfunction and the instruction to be careful driving and go the the nearest BMW dealer. I called my dealer and was informed it was ok to drive the car and they booked me an appointment for Tuesday (this was Friday). I was a bit apprehensive as I live about 100+ miles out of the city and was concerned about putting so many miles on it under these copnditions, but I left it at that. This was at noon and I went back up to my office for more meetings. I left early (a little worried about my baby) and got to my car around 3:00. When I started it this time not only did I get the the DSC and X-Drive error but I then I got a dreaded Drivetrain malfunction error. This time the car went into limp mode I could only get to move at about 3KM/H. Of course I called the dealer and was told to bring it in. I was able to drive it out of the parking lot and onto the street where roadside assistance had dispatched a truck for towing (no flatbeds were available that would have gotten me to the dealer before they closed and I needed to get there in time to get a loaner for the weekend) so it ended up being pulled on dollies (no damage). The dealer will be looking at it on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. I was lucky that it turned out I was able to a loaner as in the past I've been stuck without one from this dearler.

My question: Has anyone else had the same malfunctions?

On the lighter side, I had an appointment for Wednesday to have mud flaps installed so now I don't need to do a special trip for that.

Thanks,
Bill
      02-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

BTW the loaner is a 323i. Now I'm appreciative of getting a loaner but the only thing I beat off of the line while driving it was a one-legged guy on a bicycle and even then it was close for the first 100 yards!

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 02-19-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I got the car back today and the problem has been solved. The malfunctions were not actually malfuntions but the lack of the sensors to operate due to low voltage. Apparently my battery was low. They recharged my battery and I'm ready to go. If my battery discharges again they'll replace it.

Bill