2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 4 days to the repair shop opens - carry on driving?

01-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
pedro01
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 528i M Sport

4 days to the repair shop opens - carry on driving?

I have a 2014 528i M sport.

Last week, I noticed an issue when overtaking, as I accelerated the car jerked, almost as if it had downshifted. The car jerked down fairly aggressively and threw me forward a little but then sped up again.

I thought it was odd & that it was possibly just a one off glitch. Earlier this week it happened 2 more times. On the 31st Dec, I was off to the gym on the tollway (this is in Bangkok), I decided to give it a little test as by this time I was concerned there was a real issue.

So after the tollway, with the car in comfort mode, I floored it. It got to about 5,500 revs and then did the same thing but fairly dramatic this time to the point I was thrown forward onto the seatbelt. So OK - now I KNOW I have an issue. I also got a nice drivetrain warning showing.

I called BMW and they said "have you had anything done to it lately?" and I told them I had - the driver side wing mirror had been replaced after a drunken motorcyclist had driven into the car. They said "oh - it's probably that then, switch it off and let it sit for 10 mins and it'll be OK".

Of course it isn't OK - drivetrain warning is off and it's having a real hard time starting in the AM - not that it's cold here - it's a tropical country but this morning it died the first 3 times I started it.

Seems though - once started, it's quite happy to crawl around town, it only seems to have an issue on an AM start. I have no long trips planned and it's under warranty - but I wonder if I should just stop driving it now until I get it to the dealership. I'd rather still tootle around town in it.

For one thing - I pretty damn sure it ain't the wing mirror....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Maybe need a new battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If it's under warranty, the only real question is whether you're concerned about getting stranded somewhere or potentially having to pull off the road if the car breaks down (emergency stop).

Whatever the issue, it sounds pretty serious to me. A violent jerking at higher engine speeds and a drivetrain error? Car dies 3 times in a row on starting? I'd say there's a relatively high chance you may end up in a break-down situation. The trouble starting is less concerning to me than the jerking motion while at speed. If you get stranded while parked (car won't start), it's very different than the car's transmission, let's say, blowing out while you're traveling 70mph down a busy highway. I don't know what your commute is like, or where you'd be driving, but I'd consider those possibilities and if you'd be OK with them.

In my eyes, that's probably your only concern - financially speaking, if it's under warranty, it doesn't matter. If you search on drivetrain errors here, you'll see many members have had them for various reasons - some quickly fixed and others with fairly dramatic stories. But either way, I'd get it into the shop ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
hawkjr1
Retired US Army/Police Officer
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport, E-92

Garage List
Switch it off and let it sit for 10 mins and it'll be OK".
      01-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
pedro01
Rep

It's in the shop now - no idea what's wrong yet, although my wife took it in, so they probably told her it was the ashtray.

I ended up just staying off the motorways & on the minor roads - just in case it died completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro01 View Post
although my wife took it in, so they probably told her it was the ashtray.
LOL

sorry to hear man, might be some fuel related issue, hopefully you can get it fixed
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
pedro01
Rep

Interesting - the cars had an issue where the radiator fan goes at 100% the moment you start the car. It sounds like it wants to take off...

Anyway - last time it was in they tried to fix that & apparently, what they did caused this issue which they say is something to do with the cooling system. That's 2nd hand info from my wife though, so it could be anything.

Parts on the way from Deutschland, they say it'll be fixed by the weekend - fingers crossed...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
pedro01
Rep

Well - we got it sorted eventually...

A new Thermostat a new High Pressure Fuel Pump

Seems like quite a few people have needed the new fuel pump too - good job it's under warranty....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Do you guys have the 4 cylinder turbo engine or the Inline 6 cylinder non-turbo engine in Thailand?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
pedro01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Do you guys have the 4 cylinder turbo engine or the Inline 6 cylinder non-turbo engine in Thailand?
4 Cylinder mostly

The way it works out here, the tax in imported cars can be up to 300%.

Less powerful cars are taxed lower.

So an M5 out here would cost around US$250k.

The 4 cylinders are basically "Ikea cars" - they make the components in Germany and ship them to Thailand for assembly so that they can reduce the tax burden.

Even then - the tax ups the price by about 80%.

You can get the 6 cylinders - but there's so much tax on them, I never really looked into it.

I would love an M5 though....

Last edited by pedro01; 02-11-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The reason I ask is that the high pressure fuel pump is not a common problem in the 4 cylinder turbo engine.
It seems like most of the small Asian countries tax automotive sale heavily.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro01 View Post
I have a 2014 528i M sport.

Last week, I noticed an issue when overtaking, as I accelerated the car jerked, almost as if it had downshifted. The car jerked down fairly aggressively and threw me forward a little but then sped up again.

I thought it was odd & that it was possibly just a one off glitch. Earlier this week it happened 2 more times. On the 31st Dec, I was off to the gym on the tollway (this is in Bangkok), I decided to give it a little test as by this time I was concerned there was a real issue.

So after the tollway, with the car in comfort mode, I floored it. It got to about 5,500 revs and then did the same thing but fairly dramatic this time to the point I was thrown forward onto the seatbelt. So OK - now I KNOW I have an issue. I also got a nice drivetrain warning showing.

I called BMW and they said "have you had anything done to it lately?" and I told them I had - the driver side wing mirror had been replaced after a drunken motorcyclist had driven into the car. They said "oh - it's probably that then, switch it off and let it sit for 10 mins and it'll be OK".

Of course it isn't OK - drivetrain warning is off and it's having a real hard time starting in the AM - not that it's cold here - it's a tropical country but this morning it died the first 3 times I started it.

Seems though - once started, it's quite happy to crawl around town, it only seems to have an issue on an AM start. I have no long trips planned and it's under warranty - but I wonder if I should just stop driving it now until I get it to the dealership. I'd rather still tootle around town in it.

For one thing - I pretty damn sure it ain't the wing mirror....
Until I got to your other problems (drivetrain warning, hard starting), I was a bit puzzled. You said "almost as if it downshifted", well of course it would downshift under those conditions and sometimes downshifts are harsh. I'm a bit curious as to what they find, and I sure can't imagine your wing mirror having anything to with anything either. Good luck though!
      02-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
pedro01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Until I got to your other problems (drivetrain warning, hard starting), I was a bit puzzled. You said "almost as if it downshifted", well of course it would downshift under those conditions and sometimes downshifts are harsh. I'm a bit curious as to what they find, and I sure can't imagine your wing mirror having anything to with anything either. Good luck though!
Well they replaced the fuel pump and all seems well now.
Appreciate 0