2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Another Dealership Fail

07-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Another Dealership Fail

Doing some preventative maintenance on my 2011 535i. Changing the battery out since it's over 5 yrs old. Pick up battery from BMW, told it was the replacement model for my current battery. 850 CCA 110 HR instead of the original 800 CCA 80HR battery. Got home, pulled old battery, which is super easy, put in new battery. New battery is about two inches longer and wedges in to the frame bracket at a slight angle. None of the removable (2) brackets fit. Called BMW parts and took them 15min to figure out its the wrong one. Pulled it, put old one in, drove to dealership, got replacement. Installed in their lot to make sure it was correct. Exact size CCA and hr of the original. Of course I got hit with a heavy downpour while putting the new one in. Entire battery and power distribution box on top got wet. FML. Hit it with the shop vac at the house to get the water up. Should be okay.

Is it too much to ask that the professionals at BMW can give you the right battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
vlam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

Glad to hear it worked out. I find that my local BMW don't like to sell any parts. They are either in adequately staff or just don't care about that side of the business.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

I always research on realoem and ask for part by #. Haven't been to a dealer that knew how to do their job behind a parts counter.
Matt
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Don't you have to get the car 'initialized' to the new battery?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
Don't you have to get the car 'initialized' to the new battery?
That is correct sir. There is an Import garage close to where I live and they are going to register it for about $35 bucks. Out at work right now so the car is just sitting for three weeks. Tech there said that it would be fine until I can get it done. My understanding is that you can skip this but your battery may not last as long as if you register it, and if you change to a larger (900cca instead of 800 cca) you definitely need to register and code it as well. This is all just info from talking to independant mechanics that work on BMWs in VBeach and what I have gathered from this forum.
If you have an older F10 and are thinking about getting a new battery or if yours is questionable with time in service or preformance you can do all this yourself. I would suggest pulling the trunk floor (easy) getting the battery info and part number before heading into the dealership. That was my first mistake. Also do the install yourself, even if you aren't very mechanically inclined it is still easy enough to do it yourself and it will save you the one hour labor rate or what ever they charge. The couple of import garages in my area had no issue with me bringing the car by to have them register the battery, prices ranging from $35 to $45 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
hmd5859
Rep
Drives: 535I

Battery install question

How much was the battery? Also, as a parts manager on the motoradd side, I can tell you that it is tough at times to get the part right. BMW's ETK system has litteraly thousands and thousands of parts for each car and at times they cross over from one vehicle to another. What I do for my customers is ensure they have a VIN for their vehicle under their profile so that if they call in about a part or come in without a VIN we have that valuable information. Entering that vin in the system hones down to EXACTLY what parts and options are on your vehicle. Not really sure what happened in this case but thought I would at least let you guys know that it is crucial you know and have your VIN when dealing with BMW. It truly helps a lot. Either way, you should be good to go with your battery. I was just curious as to the cost as I am due for one in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd5859 View Post
....Entering that vin in the system hones down to EXACTLY what parts and options are on your vehicle...
Unless certain functions have been coded and hardware installed...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd5859 View Post
How much was the battery? Also, as a parts manager on the motoradd side, I can tell you that it is tough at times to get the part right. BMW's ETK system has litteraly thousands and thousands of parts for each car and at times they cross over from one vehicle to another. What I do for my customers is ensure they have a VIN for their vehicle under their profile so that if they call in about a part or come in without a VIN we have that valuable information. Entering that vin in the system hones down to EXACTLY what parts and options are on your vehicle. Not really sure what happened in this case but thought I would at least let you guys know that it is crucial you know and have your VIN when dealing with BMW. It truly helps a lot. Either way, you should be good to go with your battery. I was just curious as to the cost as I am due for one in the near future.
The battery was right at $230. This was for a 2011 535i. I called in on like 6/28 and was quoted $229 then when I went in to buy it on 7/02 they said that the price had went up to $270 because BMW raises part prices at the beginning of each month. I bitched a bit and got a military discount which brought it back down to the actual cost I was previously quoted. Just added to the awesomeness of the entire experience. The human factor is strong at this service/parts department.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

hope you program this battery if not you will be screwed in no time
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
hope you program this battery if not you will be screwed in no time
And no time is exactly how long? I've read a lot of posts about registering the battery and how much of a difference it makes and there just doesn't seem to be any "real" information.
I'm going to use this battery as a test and not registering it. It's the same CCA and per hour as the original so I'm not worried about any of the electronics. Indy mechanic was basically like "meh, register it if you want, you might get an extra year or so out of it"
I've got the mileage but the time it lasts will be tough to nail down. I have the car in storage with the battery disconnected about 7 months a year.
I'll make sure I post any consequences arising from skipping the registration process.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Throwing in a pic so if you see me on the side of the road waving jumper cables in the air you can stop and help me out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Throwing in a pic so if you see me on the side of the road waving jumper cables in the air you can stop and help me out.
Welp, that just sold me that White-Lines look really good on Space Grey.. Any more pics?
Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
they said that the price had went up to $270 because BMW raises part prices at the beginning of each month.
For what its worth BMW does update the price tapes monthly. Prices don't always go up, sometimes they go down a little, sometimes a lot. Dealer don't have any control over it. BMW sets list.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #14
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
For what its worth BMW does update the price tapes monthly. Prices don't always go up, sometimes they go down a little, sometimes a lot. Dealer don't have any control over it. BMW sets list.
Thanks, the guys seemed legit but it was still frustrating. Life can be like that now and again. How's the car doing? Great job on the rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Welp, that just sold me that White-Lines look really good on Space Grey.. Any more pics?
Matt
Thanks, the WLNS look alot better than the red. Check state laws first though, ok for NC but if I was tagged in VA they are illegal. Got NASCAR plate for the blk letters.
Also changed emblems, 535i badge, reflectors. And painted the chrome tailpipes blk. Big fatty 295s make the whole rear end look super wide and powerful. Wish I had another 200 HP though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Thanks, the guys seemed legit but it was still frustrating. Life can be like that now and again. How's the car doing? Great job on the rebuild.
Thanks, shes doing well :-)

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Stück;20333123]Thanks, shes doing well :-)

Nice. Hadn't seen the rims. Looks awesome and ties in with the chrome trim. Bav upgrade is on my to do list.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, the WLNS look alot better than the red. Check state laws first though, ok for NC but if I was tagged in VA they are illegal. Got NASCAR plate for the blk letters.
Also changed emblems, 535i badge, reflectors. And painted the chrome tailpipes blk. Big fatty 295s make the whole rear end look super wide and powerful. Wish I had another 200 HP though.
That paint color is one of my favorite
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks, the WLNS look alot better than the red. Check state laws first though, ok for NC but if I was tagged in VA they are illegal.....
Just curious... What makes them illegal? Are they missing reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And no time is exactly how long? I've read a lot of posts about registering the battery and how much of a difference it makes and there just doesn't seem to be any "real" information.
I'm going to use this battery as a test and not registering it. It's the same CCA and per hour as the original so I'm not worried about any of the electronics. Indy mechanic was basically like "meh, register it if you want, you might get an extra year or so out of it"
I've got the mileage but the time it lasts will be tough to nail down. I have the car in storage with the battery disconnected about 7 months a year.
I'll make sure I post any consequences arising from skipping the registration process.
I say no longer then year bet you will have to replace battery again
I know this cause when I had Audi A8L i did same thing you did less then year battery was dead again.
Appreciate 0