2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Maintenance Warranty almost up, suggestions?

06-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

So the maintenance warranty for my CPO 2013 535i M sport is up in 10 days and I have a dealer visit coming up to see if I can get my rear pads changed before then since the system says they need to be replaced in 1000 miles. Are there any items you guys recommend I have looked at before I'm on my own? Also does anyone recommend getting the extended maintenance plan or prob not worth the $$?

For some background, I purchased the car at the end of August 2016 with 37k miles. One owner, lease return from Cali, great condition. The dealer gave it the CPO certification which included replacing the rear tires and taking care of all the maintenance. Since then, I've had the following fixed/replaced under warranty:

1. Battery replaced
2. Wipers replaced.
3. A/C condenser replaced.
4. Brake fluid flush.
5. Front brake pads and sensors replaced.
6. Front rotors turned.
7. Misc. rattle (somewhat) fixed.

The car now has approximately 45.6k miles and the SA has been great with helping getting everything I can taken care of under the warranty. In the past however, she has suggested getting my tires rotated and getting a 4-wheel alignment (~$250) and a coolant and fuel system flush (she says recommended every 2 years for a cool $430). I've passed on both of these offers and will at least get the tire rotation/alignment as some point from an indy shop.

Aside from trying to get my rear brake pads replaced (and maybe rotors turned), anything else you guys think I should try to have looked at. I've heard of people having their HPFP replaced but I haven't had any issue with mine and because it's a CPO maybe it'll be covered if I need it replaced in the future? Appreciate any advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

What dealer here in town TURNED your front rotors? No no no no no no noooooooo.

You need to break up with them and start coming to see me. In fact the shop I work at does a lot of "Warranty expiration inspections" to make sure you know everything that needs attention to slide in before the coverage is up. Have one last hurrah and then stop cold turkey.

HPFP on N55 cars are far and few between failure. Fuel system flushes are dealer snake oil, strickily limited to the benefit of separating you and your money.

Coolant flushes should be done every 4 years to maintain proper pH levels and corrosion protection, but even BMW moved to "LIFETIME" on coolant last year.... as they know no BMW is going to hold coolant that awful long anyway, and will get "flushed" during the course of repairs and maintenance.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
What dealer here in town TURNED your front rotors? No no no no no no noooooooo.

You need to break up with them and start coming to see me. In fact the shop I work at does a lot of "Warranty expiration inspections" to make sure you know everything that needs attention to slide in before the coverage is up. Have one last hurrah and then stop cold turkey.

HPFP on N55 cars are far and few between failure. Fuel system flushes are dealer snake oil, strickily limited to the benefit of separating you and your money.

Coolant flushes should be done every 4 years to maintain proper pH levels and corrosion protection, but even BMW moved to "LIFETIME" on coolant last year.... as they know no BMW is going to hold coolant that awful long anyway, and will get "flushed" during the course of repairs and maintenance.
I was hoping you'd chime in You know I'm coming your way as soon as this warranty is up, but yeah I'll PM you the dealer details. Hadn't heard of the warranty expiration inspection, I'll hit you/the shop up to see if I can come by before my dealer appointment.

Didn't know turning the rotors was a no no, I think I remember her saying the thickness wasn't low enough for them to replace so they turned them (this may have been the case for the rear pads too, I'll check the notes again). The reason for that visit was because I could feel brake pedal pulsing even though the onboard computer said front brake pads were fine. Took a ride with the tech and he confirmed front brakes needed replacement, but didn't know they only swapped the pads and turned the rotors until I picked it up and tbh they feel pretty solid now.

EDIT- Tech notes state "front rotors had a runout of .4mm min reading 30.0mm and max reading of 30.4mm. Per sib 34 01 14 turned front rotors and new front brake pads and wear sensors." As for the rear pads, its just says "rear brakes at 5.5mm. Cannot replace at this time."

Thanks for the info on the fuel/coolant flush, I knew not to bite until I talked to you first.

Last edited by STiLLsLow; 07-01-2017 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

I have a '13 CPO myself with the same mileage. How'd you get them to warranty the battery??

And how'd you know you needed the a/c condenser replaced? Mine pushes air loudly but Crevier kept saying its normal. I guess got 2 more years of CPO warranty anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
I have a '13 CPO myself with the same mileage. How'd you get them to warranty the battery??

And how'd you know you needed the a/c condenser replaced? Mine pushes air loudly but Crevier kept saying its normal. I guess got 2 more years of CPO warranty anyway.
For the battery, I just told the SA I was consistently getting a battery discharge warning every morning on cold start up. The tech notes say they just ran a diagnostic test and found low voltage dips on startup so they went ahead and replaced it.

As for the A/C, one day I turned on the car and it blew nothing but hot air. Apparently a cracked/leaking condenser is common on our cars and can either be caused by road debris or just a bad condenser. Thankfully they didn't find any damage so they replaced it, topped off the freon and it was good as new.

It probably depends on the dealer, but I would try to have them run tests on both while still under the maintenance warranty, the CPO seems limited and they may try to hide behind some language that excludes these items from being covered under the CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

damn good stuff. I kept trying to get stuff looked @ n they would keep coming back saying they didn't find anything. original warranty just expired last month, so crossing my fingers.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quick update for anyone following. The dealer did replace the rear brake pads and sensors and a cracked rear differential bushing. These were two things I knew needed to be replaced and specifically asked they be done.

In addition, the SA had a few other common F10 issues checked and turns out I had a small oil leak and at the valvecover gasket which she had changed out and had the engine mounts replaced. So glad they took care of these things without me having to specifically point them out! Now hopefully I can rest easy until the CPO is up in two years and then switch things up
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Wow, awesome thread. I purchased my 2013 last May with 37k miles and they convinced me to purchase the maintenance for like $1600 since he said that was what the cost of replacing the brakes and rotors alone would be. No brainer, especially since I knew an upcoming oil change, at minimum, was in that window.

What worries me is my car says', and has been saying since purchase, brakes are due in 3100 miles. Thing is, that has never changed. Even after a couple of 1700 mile round-trip visits to the East Coast so far. Granted, I don't even drive the car every day, but am now up to 43k miles, I'm wondering if I just paid $1600 for an oil change, lol!

And agreed. If they try to turn my rotors, I will make a noise about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

It sounds like a dealer tech wanted to make some more hours and "found" issues with the engine mounts (not at that mileage) and a "leak" from the valve cover (it wasn't)

So long as he actually did the work, and you got the parts changed all is well. Its his career he's risking.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ammin View Post
Wow, awesome thread. I purchased my 2013 last May with 37k miles and they convinced me to purchase the maintenance for like $1600 since he said that was what the cost of replacing the brakes and rotors alone would be. No brainer, especially since I knew an upcoming oil change, at minimum, was in that window.

What worries me is my car says', and has been saying since purchase, brakes are due in 3100 miles. Thing is, that has never changed. Even after a couple of 1700 mile round-trip visits to the East Coast so far. Granted, I don't even drive the car every day, but am now up to 43k miles, I'm wondering if I just paid $1600 for an oil change, lol!

And agreed. If they try to turn my rotors, I will make a noise about that.
Ya know when I first took my car in for pulsing brakes, the car said the rears needed to be replaced in 1100 miles. In a few weeks I drove at least 300-400 miles so I could get them replaced on my last visit and the car said replace in 1000 miles. So basically I think the car estimates how much wear the brake pads will get in a certain number of miles, but if they're all highway miles and not stop and go/city traffic, the estimate will be off.

Turned out my outter pads showed a couple mm more than the inner so even though the car said replace in 1k miles, the dealer went ahead and swapped them out (the first stage of the sensors were also cut so they were due). I'd say as soon as they feel or look worn, go ahead and have the dealer check them out despite the car's estimate, especially before the warranty is set to expire. Nothing to lose to have them looked at and if they have loaners available, it's less of a hassle.
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00
      07-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I'll be 56 next month. Have bought quite a few new cars and bikes in my time. Never ventured into this territory before.

It certainly is encouraging to hear the respect BMW has for its customers.

Love this car. Hope it loves me too :-)

So far, we are good :-)
Appreciate 0