2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New car paint treatment?

04-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

New car paint treatment?

So picking up the new F10 535 M Sport on Saturday and really pumped . I told the dealer not to drill a front plate ( CA) and Do NOT WASH /WAX CAR. That said what treatment should I do to a new Dark Graphite paint job ?? I have clayed and hand waxed previous cars. Any need to clay a new car like this? Wax ?? What do do?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
bfv
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw

Try Zaino Clear Seal. www.zaino.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
RyanS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi M-Sport

Clay it! It may have accumulated undesirable things during the shipping process. Follow it up with a good waxing or sealant.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

Wash, clay, paint cleaner, sealant or/and wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
How To Detail a Brand New Car
There's a right way and a wrong way. If you don't have all the products and techniques down, you should have a professional do it for you. Otherwise all you're gonna end up doing is having a clean car with a a lot of swirls in it.
      04-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

Hi guys i have an f11 and last week leave my car in airport park and they washe it (without my knowdlege) in some machine... the question is:
Know i have lot of swirls in it. (all the car). my sophisto grey pinture is all f*

So is there any thing to do, how to remove them or minimize it?
Can i do it my self?
What products to use?
How can it be done.

Thanks (i´m really sad,
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagatacos View Post
Hi guys i have an f11 and last week leave my car in airport park and they washe it (without my knowdlege) in some machine... the question is:
Know i have lot of swirls in it. (all the car). my sophisto grey pinture is all f*

So is there any thing to do, how to remove them or minimize it?
Can i do it my self?
What products to use?
How can it be done.

Thanks (i´m really sad,
You can't get rid of swirls by hand. You need a DA polisher. If this sounds like to much work, I'd have someone do it for you. It's shouldn't cost more than, oh cr*p you're in Spain, no idea.
I just got all the swirls out of my paint, but I have a lot of tools and a garage.
Detailing F10 - Attention to Detail
      04-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

Thanks for the advice.. I have clayed and applied wax products successfully in the past so I think I am going to give it a try. I have some Klasse AIO and Glaze left over from the 911 days and I think I am going to use that. I also have some pinnacle fine clay too. Sounds like a good way to spend 5 hours on Easter Sunday !!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
You can't get rid of swirls by hand. You need a DA polisher. If this sounds like to much work, I'd have someone do it for you. It's shouldn't cost more than, oh cr*p you're in Spain, no idea.
I just got all the swirls out of my paint, but I have a lot of tools and a garage.
Detailing F10 - Attention to Detail
Did your car have orange peel when new? Were you able to polish it off using your DA polisher? Most BMWs have lots of orange peel from the factory and some people say they can remove it by polishing it - do you agree? Mine has orange peel everywhere but I'm afraid to allow a professional to try to remove it - and I sure wouldn't try to do it myself because I've never used a polisher before.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Did your car have orange peel when new? Were you able to polish it off using your DA polisher? Most BMWs have lots of orange peel from the factory and some people say they can remove it by polishing it - do you agree? Mine has orange peel everywhere but I'm afraid to allow a professional to try to remove it - and I sure wouldn't try to do it myself because I've never used a polisher before.
No, it didn't have orange peel, but it did have some paint overspray on a tiny piece of the rear bumper that I had color sanded off under warranty. I would not try and remove orange peel form an OEM paint job. The long story short is to live with it.
Quote:
The way orange peel is removed normally is to wet-sand the surface till it's flat and then remove your sanding marks using a rotary buffer with a wool or foam cutting pad with a cutting compound. After the initial cut is made then the paint is put through at least one or more machine polishing steps to remove swirls and work the paint up to a high gloss finish.
This is usually done on fresh paint applied at a body shop. The problem with doing this to a factory finish is generally speaking,
Factory paint is thin - Remember the sanding process removes paint as does the machine compounding step
Most clear coat paints are harder versus soft like fresh paint, this makes buffing out your sanding marks difficult
You can read more here...
Orange Peel Effect?