2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iDrive/Nav Screen Too Easily Scratched.

02-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

iDrive/Nav Screen Too Easily Scratched.

I know this is not a new issue but ... I am seriously thinking of contacting a Lawyer at this point.

I had my previous iDrive screen replaced for "discoloration" in September. The other day I saw what looked like a water stain on my (replaced) screen. I got a micro fiber cloth moistened with some water and gently blotted then wiped it. To my horror, it left a permanent spot the size of a fingerprint right in the middle of the screen. Obviously, the Anti-Glare coating is WAY too fragile and was removed by the cloth. This is a fu*king CAR after all, the interior surfaces are bound to need cleaning.

I would NEVER buy a Lexus but can somebody tell me WHY they can make an Nav screen with Anti-Glare coating that is also a TOUCH SCREEN ??

Every time I look at this screen in the daylight there is this glowing spot. I am FURIOUS and there is NO WAY that BMW NA will replace it again.

There are countless threads online about people with similar issues and it is downright STUPID that you can not replace the screen surface but have to replace the entire unit for $2000 !! Either make the surface more durable or cover it like previous BMW models. I have had 4 previous BMW's with Nav and NONE of them have had this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ? Perhaps we can band together to get BMW's attention. Please don't waste my time (or yours) by posting that your screen "doesn't have these issues" it's of no help.

Thank You,
Joseph

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 02-05-2013 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I have the same screen and I've cleaned this numerous times without issue. Are you certain there was nothing on the cloth like a solvent?

I use simple all purpose cleaner on mine and that's not caused any marks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I have the same screen and I've cleaned this numerous times without issue. Are you certain there was nothing on the cloth like a solvent?

I use simple all purpose cleaner on mine and that's not caused any marks.
Its a brand new rinsed cloth that had NOTHING on it. Not trying to be argumentative but there are tons of post about this issue.
      02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
Its a brand new rinsed cloth that had NOTHING on it. Not trying to be argumentative but there are tons of post about this issue.
You're not being argumentative at all, I take your word for it.. not seen it mentioned myself, and as I say, neither have I had a problem cleaning it with APC. Doesn't mean you should put up with it tho, get back to your dealer on it...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER
I know this is not a new issue but ... I am seriously thinking of contacting a Lawyer at this point.

I had my previous iDrive screen replaced for "discoloration" in September. The other day I saw what looked like a water stain on my (replaced) screen. I got a micro fiber cloth moistened with some water and gently blotted then wiped it. To my horror, it left a permanent spot the size of a fingerprint right in the middle of the screen. Obviously, the Anti-Glare coating is WAY too fragile and was removed by the cloth. This is a fu*king CAR after all, the interior surfaces are bound to need cleaning.

I would NEVER buy a Lexus but can somebody tell me WHY they can make an Nav screen with Anti-Glare coating that is also a TOUCH SCREEN ??

Every time I look at this screen in the daylight there is this glowing spot. I am FURIOUS and there is NO WAY that BMW NA will replace it again.

There are countless threads online about people with similar issues and it is downright STUPID that you can not replace the screen surface but have to replace the entire unit for $2000 !! Either make the surface more durable or cover it like previous BMW models. I have had 4 previous BMW's with Nav and NONE of them have had this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ? Perhaps we can band together to get BMW's attention. Please don't waste my time (or yours) by posting that your screen "doesn't have these issues" it's of no help.

Thank You,
Joseph
Well, try this first. What leaves water marks are the minerals in the water. Second you should only use water.

Take two MF towels, both new.

Wet one towel with demineralized water. Get it really wet and them ring it so its damp.

Take the wet MF towel and go back and forth, left to right, on the idrive screen with light to medium pressure.

Keep going right to left until all spots disappear.

Then take the dry microfiber towel, with a single sturdy pass (2 at most) dry the lens. Only go left to right..no circular motions.

That should do it.

Yes, the dry part is abrasive, but you have no choice. It should look like new.

pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, try this first. What leaves water marks are the minerals in the water. Second you should only use water.

Wet one towel with demineralized water. Get it really wet and them ring it so its damp.

Take the wet MF towel and go back and forth, left to right, on the idrive screen with light to medium pressure.

Then take the dry microfiber towel, with a single sturdy pass (2 at most) dry the lens. Only go left to right..no circular motions.

That should do it.

pressure.
This is exactly what I do and yet I managed to scratch mine. They are very fine scratches and can only be noticed when the sun is behind me and very low, so hardly ever. But nevertheless, the screen should be better protected. My iPhone falls on its face all the time and is good as new.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I dont use microfiber towel on my screen, I use eye glasses cleaning cloth.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
cordoor
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi

I wonder if there is a product like Zagg or something that can be applied to the screen to protect it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

That should do it.

pressure.
This is exactly what I do and yet I managed to scratch mine. They are very fine scratches and can only be noticed when the sun is behind me and very low, so hardly ever. But nevertheless, the screen should be better protected. My iPhone falls on its face all the time and is good as new.

I know, right? The iPhone is amazing. All other phones (droid) with touchscreens seem to change over time in that they become less sensitive. Not the iPhone.

My iPhone (4) still plays Doom perfectly 3 years later! It is a marvel!

The iPhone is glass though. Ain't no way BMW gonna put dangerous glass in no idrive screen.

There is one more trick I gave used if you don't like MF towels. Use the technique above, but use coffee filters. The wet one should be soaked and then wring it out. The dry one should only be used sparingly at the end to get dry it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Never heard of this problem and don't have it, yet. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Perhaps different components are used on some cars. Mine is 2 years old, 50,000 miles and there are no scratches or blemishes on the screen. I'm not a particularly gentle owner either.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Perhaps different components are used on some cars. Mine is 2 years old, 50,000 miles and there are no scratches or blemishes on the screen. I'm not a particularly gentle owner either.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

That's why I don't bother cleaning it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
10beers
'12 535xi, old '11 335xi, '95 320i
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i GT mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake
I'm thinking it might have to do with "The Dot". All those with scratched screens do you have the dot?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Frigging dot. Mine didn't come with one.

I tried to return the car and exchange for the dotted version, threatened lawsuits and they finally called security.

Now I learn it will scratch!
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post

Thank You,
Joseph

If I were you, I'd place a sheet of 3M crystalline over the screen.

Problem solved.

You're welcome :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all of you... but I still feel that we have to pressure BMW on this. It's INSANE that such an expensive part is so easily damaged.
      02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
syrhee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I totally agree with the OP. I also have a few streaks of scratches on the screen and it shows pretty glaringly when the sun roof is open.. makes me sad everytime I see it. I doubt BMW would replace it for free, but nevertheless it's very fragile.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Completely agree. I have never bothered cleaning mine - the first time I actually touched I realised it's some sort of plastic which my gut told me was very sensitive. Mine is a bit stained, but frankly I have iDrive always on which hides all of it.

Demineralized water and lens cloth... Gee. Though I realise they can't just put a glass on top of it as that'd be a safety hazard, I'm sure there are tons of proper plastic covers these days which don't get scratched by the mere gaze of the driver.

You should write to BMW Corporate. I've written to them twice and they've replied quite professionally both times. Of course normally you'll get a standard 'thank you for... the cleaning procedure is described in... we remain at your...' boiler plate reply, but at least you can insist they seriously look into improving the current situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Completely agree. I have never bothered cleaning mine - the first time I actually touched I realised it's some sort of plastic which my gut told me was very sensitive. Mine is a bit stained, but frankly I have iDrive always on which hides all of it.

Demineralized water and lens cloth... Gee. Though I realise they can't just put a glass on top of it as that'd be a safety hazard, I'm sure there are tons of proper plastic covers these days which don't get scratched by the mere gaze of the driver.

You should write to BMW Corporate. I've written to them twice and they've replied quite professionally both times. Of course normally you'll get a standard 'thank you for... the cleaning procedure is described in... we remain at your...' boiler plate reply, but at least you can insist they seriously look into improving the current situation.
Any thoughts on a petition type letter ?
      02-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
I too have some small scratches (that only I can see) on my screen. I also thought a screen protector would be a good idea. People like to point at my screen at times and I have to tell them "Don't touch the screen..." which makes me look like a lunatic with my car. Even if BMW sold "BMW" screen protector I might buy it to guard against future scratches. Making one of my own does cross my mind but I don't know if the adhesion would damage the original screen...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrmeup View Post
People like to point at my screen at times and I have to tell them "Don't touch the screen..." which makes me look like a lunatic with my car.
Same. Almost slapped my wife's hand off this weekend.
Appreciate 0