2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BMW have removed Facebook integration from Connected Drive

05-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

BMW have removed Facebook integration from Connected Drive

It seems that as of 5 May, BMW have TOTALLY removed Facebook integration from ConnectedDrive. This was implemented in the version 2.5 of the 'BMW Connected' iOS app so it no longer even shows up as an option in the car. The release note just said the feature was removed due to 'Facebook policy change'.

This feature removal comes shortly after they removed the Panoramio widget. So I wonder what is next for them to remove... Twitter, Audible, Spotify? It seems they are relying on cooperation with their 'partners' so these features can be suddenly removed without warning or apology.

I'm sure some people bought into BMW tech partly due to the Connected Drive promise so is it really fair to remove features that we have 'paid for' as part of the package without notice?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfocus View Post
It seems that as of 5 May, BMW have TOTALLY removed Facebook integration from ConnectedDrive. This was implemented in the version 2.5 of the 'BMW Connected' iOS app so it no longer even shows up as an option in the car. The release note just said the feature was removed due to 'Facebook policy change'.

This feature removal comes shortly after they removed the Panoramio widget. So I wonder what is next for them to remove... Twitter, Audible, Spotify? It seems they are relying on cooperation with their 'partners' so these features can be suddenly removed without warning or apology.

I'm sure some people bought into BMW tech partly due to the Connected Drive promise so is it really fair to remove features that we have 'paid for' as part of the package without notice?
Enjoy driving your car instead! I find the Facebook and social media via cars a complete joke and a death trap, I am on for music related apps any other ones it’s a complete nonsense and quite dangerous, one thing I love about my car is driving it with some nice music a way to disconnect from everything else for a while. !
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I am on for music related apps any other ones it’s a complete nonsense and quite dangerous, one thing I love about my car is driving it with some nice music a way to disconnect from everything else for a while. !
Perhaps if you stopped listening to your 'nice music' and concentrated on your driving our roads would be a safer place.

:-P
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
DFWRaider
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i Black/Black M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Enjoy driving your car instead! I find the Facebook and social media via cars a complete joke and a death trap, I am on for music related apps any other ones it’s a complete nonsense and quite dangerous, one thing I love about my car is driving it with some nice music a way to disconnect from everything else for a while. !
While that me be true it's not the issue. I also find it annoying that Facebook and other Apps were removed. If they are going to have BMW Apps they need to have Apps that people are interested in.
M-Sport
Appreciate 0