2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pinnacle Black Label

03-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Pinnacle Black Label

My Jet Black F10 will live its life outdoors. about 8 years ago we moved from a three car garage new home (when we moved in 1997) into town to a home that has no garage. We had plans to build one but we back up to a small lake and we hate to spoil the ambience.

I have in the past done the $40 a month all you can get washed at a very good car wash in the past but decided for two cars, and getting my wife to go is not a pleasant activity, that I would again start washing my own cars. by doing so I'll put $25 extra into my mortgage every time I wash it.. Only 9 more years left!!!

I've done Zaino in the past but its a pain in the ass. IM looking to just do an annual coating which should both protect the paint and make washing easier. Same with the wheels.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pinnacle Black Label?

http://www.autogeek.net/carwax.html

Last edited by Nalod; 03-21-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
My Jet Black F10 will live its life outdoors. about 8 years ago we moved from a three car garage new home (when we moved in 1997) into town to a home that has no garage. We had plans to build one but we back up to a small lake and we hate to spoil the ambience.

I have in the past done the $40 a month all you can get washed at a very good car wash in the past but decided for two cars, and getting my wife to go is not a pleasant activity, that I would again start washing my own cars. by doing so I'll put $25 extra into my mortgage. Only 9 more years left!!!

I've done Zaino in the past but its a pain in the ass. IM looking to just do an annual coating which should both protect the paint and make washing easier. Same with the wheels.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pinnacle Black Label?

http://www.autogeek.net/carwax.html
No polish or wax will last a year. The best I've used was/is Zaino as it lasts easily 3-4 months. Most polishes/waxes last barely a month or two.

What you're looking for is some kind of permanent sealant.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I've heard that the Gtechniq paint sealant is meant to be a good product. I think that you still need to apply a coat of wax every six months or so though with any of these sealants
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

I also have a jet black F10 that live its life outside and use the porter cable once a year with pink pad (Light Cutting) with Megs M205 polish followed by BlackFire Wet diamond sealant. looks and seems to hold up well.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

+1 on the Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer. Thats what I use twice a year (I havent applied it in a year though) and it holds up extremely well. Be sure to polish the paint to perfection, and use a good quality light source to see high spots when removing the coating. I didnt realize the first time that excess residue will harden and require compounding or polishing to remove so be mindful of that. Also, before application of the C1, be extremely careful when using the recommended panel wipe as you will incur swirls very easily with even light to moderate pressure. Use a brand new quality microfiber (MF) towel for this stage and be very light with the pressure. The panel wipe strips all the residual oils from the paint so you will have virtually no "gliding" action. Follow the directions to the T and use a few MFs or (1) there will be excess residue transferring unnecessarily to other panels (2) scratches from crystallization of the product on the fibers of the towel. If you dont immediately soak these used towels in warm water plan on throwing them away as the C1 will render them hard and useless. Keep in mind that we have jet black paint and it is very sensitive to most forms of contact and chemicals. The C1 will without a doubt make life much easier by resisting swirls, micromarring and light scratches and make the car washing process easier and streamlined. If you want to see how my car looks with the C1 applied check my instagram (in my sig) or mrcleanf10. Good Luck.
      03-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Nalod
Major
Rep

Thanks for response. So many choices. Hydra silica systems are pretty interesting as are the promise of ceramic coatings. Im not looking for "The most intense black car experience known to man" but a method of keeping the car clean. I had a nice discussion with the Adams company and they have a sealant that can be used twice a and applied on a clean car. By that, so the clay and prep work, then seal. If kept up, I can reapply the another coat on top of it. They have a spray on and hand dry product to use inbetween.
      03-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

I use Sonax Net Polymer Shield as my last step and get about 6 months of excellent protection. I apply it twice a year after polishing all of the defects out of the paint using Menzerna polishes and a DA polisher. I'm sure some of the more expensive coatings will give even longer protection.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
TopQuark
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
...followed by BlackFire Wet diamond sealant. looks and seems to hold up well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I use Sonax Net Polymer Shield as my last step and get about 6 months of excellent protection...
There are so many products in the market nowadays and some are outrageously expensive. These 2 seems to stand out because of their price. They have very good Amazon reviews too. I'll try one of them after my next car wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
DaHeadlightGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 DSB F10

ive been using carpro cquartz ceramic pro. I apply hydro 2 sealant once a month when i was the car. This has been great for my car as it lives outdoors as well. I have yet to have any water, bird droppings, or sap stain the paint. the cquartz is suppose to last 2-3 years if you use hyrdro2 or reload to help maintain the coating.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
Nalod
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeadlightGuy View Post
ive been using carpro cquartz ceramic pro. I apply hydro 2 sealant once a month when i was the car. This has been great for my car as it lives outdoors as well. I have yet to have any water, bird droppings, or sap stain the paint. the cquartz is suppose to last 2-3 years if you use hyrdro2 or reload to help maintain the coating.
That product and "system" is also on my list. The hydro 2 combined with the Cquartz looks great. I would suspect 2 year is a good life span.