2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications VRSF Catless Downpipe Exhaust Leak

07-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 | BM3 | GTC Cat-Back

VRSF Catless Downpipe Exhaust Leak

Hey guys, brand new to the forums and modding.

Just installed a catless dp today on my f10 535i. Install went pretty smooth, other than a leak I can't seem to get to seal up. The leak is coming from the union between the dp and midpipe. I tried reseating the midpipe multiple times, as well as trying every position for the band clamp. I have tightened the clamp as tight as it goes. It seems to be coming from where the midpipe is slotted to allow it to crimp over the dp.

Has anyone had a similar leak or know a solution to this? I want the option to change the dp again so I don't really want it welded on.

Let me know what you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_mauck View Post

Just installed a catless dp today on my f10 535i. Install went pretty smooth, other than a leak I can't seem to get to seal up. The leak is coming from the union between the dp and midpipe. I tried reseating the midpipe multiple times, as well as trying every position for the band clamp. I have tightened the clamp as tight as it goes. It seems to be coming from where the midpipe is slotted to allow it to crimp over the dp.

Has anyone had a similar leak or know a solution to this? I want the option to change the dp again so I don't really want it welded on.

Not sure how to solve your problem but getting this soon on a jb4 car, how does it feel and sound? It'll be on my stock exhaust with muffler deletes for now
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Where ru located? I also seem to have this problem but my,installer swears its on proper. Can i take a listen to ur car
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Not sure how to solve your problem but getting this soon on a jb4 car, how does it feel and sound? It'll be on my stock exhaust with muffler deletes for now
I have a stage 2 MHD tune that I was driving with before the dp install, so I don't feel much of a difference. I do notice that the turbo sounds really nice and spools much quicker (used to be ~450rpm for it to spool up now its ~300), and exhaust is louder on start up. In the cabin there is no difference, but maybe when I get that leak fixed it will increase the sound in the cabin. With your muffler deletes it should sound really nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
Where ru located? I also seem to have this problem but my,installer swears its on proper. Can i take a listen to ur car
In South FL, looks like you are in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

this is common issue with vrsf, it just does not fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:

Your downpipe is probably a little short. It happened to me.... They had to loosen my entire exhaust and push everything forward toward front of car about 2" so i could feed more DP into the midpipe to create a better seal....Understand?
      07-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Your downpipe is probably a little short. It happened to me.... They had to loosen my entire exhaust and push everything forward toward front of car about 2" so i could feed more DP into the midpipe to create a better seal....Understand?
I understand what you are saying, but the midpipe is completely seated over the downpipe. There is no more room for it to go. I think they are just slightly different shaped which causes there to be a small gap for air to leak out. I am taking it to a shop Friday to see if they can weld on a new midpipe connector and use a larger band clamp to get a better seal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #9
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I understand what you are saying, but the midpipe is completely seated over the downpipe. There is no more room for it to go. I think they are just slightly different shaped which causes there to be a small gap for air to leak out. I am taking it to a shop Friday to see if they can weld on a new midpipe connector and use a larger band clamp to get a better seal.
Yea I just searched and saw it's quite a common issue with the VRSF Downpipe .
      07-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
jderek22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Can you use JB Weld Ultimate Copper RTV Sealant around the connection?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jderek22 View Post
Can you use JB Weld Ultimate Copper RTV Sealant around the connection?
I was thinking about that. Problem is, its a male/female connection vs the bolt on style with the donut gasket. I don't see how I could apply the sealant to form a proper gasket since the pieces are sliding together vs bolting together.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
E82IsTheWay!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:

What did you do to repair this. I have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Well I guess I'll stay away from this DP when it comes time
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
neejay7.00
      05-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
slick_dipstick
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82IsTheWay! View Post
Quote:

What did you do to repair this. I have the same problem
I installed the VRSF careless downpipe on my x6 35i and I have the exact problem. I went to an exhaust shop and he tried his best to shove the midpipe as far on the downpipe and placed a single weld to hold the position and it's still leaking. I'm thinking maybe if I heat the midpipe to a high temp where the metal is soft and seat it on the downpipe maybe it'll create a tighter seal?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #15
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_dipstick View Post
I installed the VRSF careless downpipe on my x6 35i and I have the exact problem. I went to an exhaust shop and he tried his best to shove the midpipe as far on the downpipe and placed a single weld to hold the position and it's still leaking. I'm thinking maybe if I heat the midpipe to a high temp where the metal is soft and seat it on the downpipe maybe it'll create a tighter seal?
On my X3 35i I haven't had issues like this with the downpipe and I've taken it off 2 or 3 times after the initial install. What does the connection from the midpipe to the DP look like on the 5 series and X6?

Others on the X3/X4 side also don't seem to have fitment issues with the DP, I wonder what difference causes this issue on the 3/4/5 series side of things.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I have vrsf downpipe on my 535 and it sits perfectly.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #17
slick_dipstick
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Quote:
On my X3 35i I haven't had issues like this with the downpipe and I've taken it off 2 or 3 times after the initial install. What does the connection from the midpipe to the DP look like on the 5 series and X6?

Others on the X3/X4 side also don't seem to have fitment issues with the DP, I wonder what difference causes this issue on the 3/4/5 series side of things.
On the 5series/x6 the downpipe comes in the conical shape and the midpipe acts like a sleeve on top of it. Basically you slide it on and clamp it. I wonder if there are any solutions to this as it's very annoying and doesn't sound nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #18
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:

I think I have the same issue.. what makes you think you have a leak btw?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
On the 5series/x6 the downpipe comes in the conical shape and the midpipe acts like a sleeve on top of it. Basically you slide it on and clamp it. I wonder if there are any solutions to this as it's very annoying and doesn't sound nice.
I believe on X3/X4's it's the exact same way. Wonder if it's the same pipe.

Edit: According to realoem it's only really different because of mounting brackets. I love how BMW does this because it never makes any sense to me. Has to be pretty expensive creating all these variants of the same part.

X3/4: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0921

F10: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0862

Last edited by doodlebro; 05-20-2019 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #20
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Dang this thread is ancient. We've revised this product twice since this post was originally made in order to ensure perfect fitment each and every time.

I apologize greatly for any inconvenience anyone may have experienced. During the first batch of this product release we addresses the one issue with product and that was years ago. We haven't had a fitment issue since but if anyone is struggling with their install, please feel free to e-mail, PM or DM us with your order number and we'll be sure to square you away.

The latest revision of this pipe is based a 3d scanned model of the OEM downpipe and for QA we also use an old fashioned jig which is also based on the the OEM downpipe in order to ensure perfect fitment each and every time.

Anyone with any issues, please shoot over an e-mail or PM and we'll be more than happy to assist.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Dang this thread is ancient. We've revised this product twice since this post was originally made in order to ensure perfect fitment each and every time.

I apologize greatly for any inconvenience anyone may have experienced. During the first batch of this product release we addresses the one issue with product and that was years ago. We haven't had a fitment issue since but if anyone is struggling with their install, please feel free to e-mail, PM or DM us with your order number and we'll be sure to square you away.

The latest revision of this pipe is based a 3d scanned model of the OEM downpipe and for QA we also use an old fashioned jig which is also based on the the OEM downpipe in order to ensure perfect fitment each and every time.

Anyone with any issues, please shoot over an e-mail or PM and we'll be more than happy to assist.
i'll be looking into a DP here shortly but seems like for the 535i there's 2 different sizes. is there a way to know somehow without actually getting underneath the car?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #22
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

I didn't buy vrsf but I believe the two different sizes would be one for pwg and one for ewg
Appreciate 0