2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535d 2016 Turbo Question

05-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
jimj911
When the F#$% did we get ice cream?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BRAD View Post
Alex, any updates?

Also curious, looking to do a remap soon and torn between who to go with, looking at Malone

'08 BMW 335i, Dinan Stage 2
'14 BMW 535d Xdrive Msport, Stage 2
'14 Dodge 3500 Cummins Longhorn dually
'15 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:38 AM   #24
alexmolavi
Rep
Drives: 535D

Hello all, I apologize for the late reply....I got side tracked by an E31 Dinan TT project. Been to dealership many times with out any thing being said, BUT I got a check engine light today. Don’t know if it’s from the e box or not, but not risking it. Taking it off tomorrow. Car has 43,000 miles on it. Gas mileage will suffer by 100-150 miles if set to most aggressive tune which is what I had it set to. Please note ess tuning is not offering this anymore on their website.

At this stage, I am looking at a complete kit, bigger inter coolers, bigger turbo, a complete remap, and also looking at some sort of water injection system (not mehtonal)

I live close Dinan HQ in gilroy/Morgan hill are and they had my car as a development car and the engineer told me that e box was not all that special. I don’t know if they ever developed anything after that. From what heard Dinan has moved from ca to nc.....might be wrong

Alex

Last edited by alexmolavi; 05-09-2018 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
alexmolavi
Rep

Update: for reference. I took the car in and dealership in Northern CA just unplugged everything and let it sit there under the hood! I was upset and got over it. This was a year ago.

Now, I have DUDMD tune with ABCD delete and a Wagner Competition Intercooler Kit.

DUDMD Stage II should bring the 535D F10 to 380hp 635tq but I am guessing Wagner and complete delete (and I mean complete) I should be roughly 400+HP and 700+TQ. No dyno so I am not a 100% sure. Honestly I cannot floor the car from standstill since I don't want to damage the Tranny.

Alex
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #26
MrGreenPump
Rep
Drives: 14 535d (N57T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmolavi View Post
Update: for reference. I took the car in and dealership in Northern CA just unplugged everything and let it sit there under the hood! I was upset and got over it. This was a year ago.

Now, I have DUDMD tune with ABCD delete and a Wagner Competition Intercooler Kit.

DUDMD Stage II should bring the 535D F10 to 380hp 635tq but I am guessing Wagner and complete delete (and I mean complete) I should be roughly 400+HP and 700+TQ. No dyno so I am not a 100% sure. Honestly I cannot floor the car from standstill since I don't want to damage the Tranny.

Alex
Wow - I am jealous that you did the ABC delete while living in CA. If I knew your smog guy, maybe I would consider it
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #27
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreenPump View Post
Wow - I am jealous that you did the ABC delete while living in CA. If I knew your smog guy, maybe I would consider it
I wouldn't be too jealous, your not leaving a ton of HP/TQ on the table by not deleting. Generally deleting the DOC/DPF and SCR is good for about 10-15Whp on a diesel. The IC upgrade might provide another 5hp ish on back to back pulls. The car is mostly air flow limited aka a bigger turbo / more fueling at high rpms would help to stretch that torque curve. Typically the biggest restriction is the exhaust turbine on a diesel. All engines are air pumps and with do big of a restriction at the turbo, you're leaving lots of HP on the table.

At the wheels a stock N57 will do 234WHP/426WTQ (depending on who's dyno and how they might "calibrate"). A stock M57 was 260whp/402WTQ for comparison (better top end due to twin turbos). Tuned and deleted N57 (535d) is 301WHP/522WTQ, which probably translates to ~326 HP, and ~566 lb-ft at the crank (maybe a bit higher torque since the peak hits at ~2400rpm which will have less drive line loss). https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-535d-...014/#gallery-1. Which is still nothing to sneeze at, and pretty good considering the limitation of 1 turbo. DMUD on their dyno/calibration claim slightly higher outputs on their calibrations, and slightly lower stock output. Of course the two companies tunes come from the same source, the only difference is the tuners map calibrations, dyno, and calibration "correction" factors.

Drive line loss is not linear, and at peak HP, ~3600rpm, there is about an 8% drive line loss 255hp/235.6hp=~8% loss (that's pretty normal for a modern car). Generally the higher the RPM the more internal friction, the lower, the less friction. So driveline loss is not a single % it varies with RPM, and using a single % is only valid at the particular RPM your measuring at.

Last edited by Thecastle; 01-26-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #28
airframer84
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d

So far with my 535d, as with all turbo cars I’ve had biggest upgrade is the tune. I’m running the canned Racechip-which is awesome, but I want to get a catless DP just have to find a tuner.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:47 AM   #29
alexmolavi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airframer84 View Post
So far with my 535d, as with all turbo cars I’ve had biggest upgrade is the tune. I’m running the canned Racechip-which is awesome, but I want to get a catless DP just have to find a tuner.
I agree with you on DP, but I would add Wagner intercooler if you are doing that for better flow.

Unfortunately, no tuner that I know openly does it anymore.

Note: I did get with a dual exhaust setup with with ACS tips and rear skirt to allow the dual exhaust setup, but was all custom made and straight pipe without mufflers. After 3 months I ended up going in the shop added a set of resonators to the car (secondary mufflers) due to droning.

I am not sure how much hp/TQ the F10 Transmission can handle. Mind you I don't go around flooring the car all day from stand still, the torque is fantastic when I need it.

Next is I am actually gonna go back to Square setup. Thinking of doing HRE Flow forms 9"inch wide in 20s with et25. Mostly because I have the front two and just need the rears.

Last edited by alexmolavi; 01-12-2022 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:54 AM   #30
alexmolavi
Rep

I have never done a dyno but your numbers and the math looks right on.

I have seen larger or I should say faster spooling turbo in European market.....

In my personal opinion the ABC delete helps with the longevity of the engine. Everyone knows the EGR $hit show and all the issues it causes.

Also needless to say faster intervals of oil change is necessary with any tuned car. I go about 3000 miles for an oil change. Also I have done the intake cleaning due to carbon build up, but from what I hear that is normal for a tuned/turbo car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I wouldn't be too jealous, your not leaving a ton of HP/TQ on the table by not deleting. Generally deleting the DOC/DPF and SCR is good for about 10-15Whp on a diesel. The IC upgrade might provide another 5hp ish on back to back pulls. The car is mostly air flow limited aka a bigger turbo / more fueling at high rpms would help to stretch that torque curve. Typically the biggest restriction is the exhaust turbine on a diesel. All engines are air pumps and with do big of a restriction at the turbo, you're leaving lots of HP on the table.

At the wheels a stock N57 will do 234WHP/426WTQ (depending on who's dyno and how they might "calibrate"). A stock M57 was 260whp/402WTQ for comparison (better top end due to twin turbos). Tuned and deleted N57 (535d) is 301WHP/522WTQ, which probably translates to ~326 HP, and ~566 lb-ft at the crank (maybe a bit higher torque since the peak hits at ~2400rpm which will have less drive line loss). https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-535d-...014/#gallery-1. Which is still nothing to sneeze at, and pretty good considering the limitation of 1 turbo. DMUD on their dyno/calibration claim slightly higher outputs on their calibrations, and slightly lower stock output. Of course the two companies tunes come from the same source, the only difference is the tuners map calibrations, dyno, and calibration "correction" factors.

Drive line loss is not linear, and at peak HP, ~3600rpm, there is about an 8% drive line loss 255hp/235.6hp=~8% loss (that's pretty normal for a modern car). Generally the higher the RPM the more internal friction, the lower, the less friction. So driveline loss is not a single % it varies with RPM, and using a single % is only valid at the particular RPM your measuring at.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:59 PM   #31
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Subscribed! I'm very interested in knowing what options are out there for the North American 535d (euro 530d). I'm in Canada so same car as the US.

I'm very reluctant to delete anything. This is a DD and I'm not after the last % of HP gain, for me it's most important to maintain reliability and mileage.

Also, consider a thicker oil if you're maxing out the turbo's flow at lower RPM and hitting huge torque numbers. 30wt oil might not cut it. Not sure what options are available that meet DPF requirements though?
Appreciate 1