2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum The Official "Tip-In" / "Acceleration/Throttle Delay" Resolution Thread

09-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #45
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mohammed View Post
I've been driving the car for almost 2 months now after the throttle housing change, I've noticed the car feeling smoother and reacting better, but the big surprise is when I drive the car with the A/C off!! the car reacts perfectly and gear shifting is so smooth.

I guess I'll go and present my findings to the dealership. may be this time they can really fix the car!
This is good news Doc... but what part exactly is the "throttle housing"?... and what was wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #46
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

I don't know, really. That what the manager told me. He said it was leaking or something!
The car is at the dealership again after I sent a message to BMW main site. I hope they find a solution because this is, for sure, not how a normal car should drive!!

Sorry for the late reply!

Last edited by Dr. Mohammed; 10-09-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #47
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

No problem.

I also sent an e-mail last week direct to BMW, and then got a call from my local dealer two days later asking me to bring the car in so they can "fix it".

THe problem is i did the "Throttle Adaptation Reset" procedure at home just before I got the call, and the car will run better than usual for the next two weeks.

So, now i'm worried they will test drive it and say it seems fine.

I plan on asking them to change the mechatronic. Many people say it permanently solved all their jerky transmission issues. I think it costs something like $ 6k.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #48
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
No problem.

I also sent an e-mail last week direct to BMW, and then got a call from my local dealer two days later asking me to bring the car in so they can "fix it".

THe problem is i did the "Throttle Adaptation Reset" procedure at home just before I got the call, and the car will run better than usual for the next two weeks.

So, now i'm worried they will test drive it and say it seems fine.

I plan on asking them to change the mechatronic. Many people say it permanently solved all their jerky transmission issues. I think it costs something like $ 6k.
I've been telling them that the problem occurs only "sometimes" and other times the car drives perfectly which it really does.

They should take your word for it IMO. The problem is only felt when you're driving the car on a daily basis. If you drive the car for the first time, you can't pick it up.

Personally, I think this mechatronics thing is the solution, but I'm holding it as my last resort.

on another note, that Pramit work sheet, they state that they found a (551) fault, while my car shows no faults at all when inspected!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #49
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

Tomorrow I'll get my car from the dealership. I've been told that they've changed two parts, an elctrical ditributor and the DME unit responsible for the stability control.

We'll see if the car is fixed at last or is it another failure!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #50
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

I can safely say that the jolting is 100% gone and fixed. The car feels so smooth now. The delay, on the other hand, is still there. I'm not bothered about it atm, but I'll still report it, because I still feel some awkwardness when accelerating.

I'll keep you updated!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #51
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can safely say that the jolting is 100% gone and fixed. The car feels so smooth now. The delay, on the other hand, is still there. I'm not bothered about it atm, but I'll still report it, because I still feel some awkwardness when accelerating.

I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for the update.. and for keeping this thread alive.

Hope the delay also subsides with time.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #52
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Why can't the software fix for the 535 be applied to the 528, its the same tranny isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #53
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

The car is performing better for sure, even with more power ans smoothness. The problem now is the delay which is really frustrating because the car feels inconsistent when trying to accelerate. I keep giving it the same amount of step but it reacts differently most of the time. Feathring the pedal is the only workaround solution atm.

I have a theory about this problem. I feel that the engine is disconnected from the accelerator everytime I remove my foot from it and when I accelerate again the system tries to reconnect with the engine. At this point the connector lags and when it actually connects the system with the engine, the engine tries to accelerate quickly to compensate as you have stepped more on the pedal because the car has not responded initially. Of course, this is just a theory.

anyway, I will go back to fix a dent in the car soon and I'll try to tell them about this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #54
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I have up to a two second throttle hesitation in my 2012 535ix. I did not fully appreciate the seriousness of this issue until I almost got creamed while trying to agressively pull out into traffic. The wrong two seconds is a lifetime, I could not believe my brand new BMW was just sitting there as I frantically pressed the pedal farther and farther to inspire it to take action. Then it finally launched like a bat out of hell into trafiic, probably giving at least one other person a heart attack.

I subsequently brought the car to the dealership and described the issue, and went for a ride with a shop foreman. It's not possible for me to know exactly how he was working the pedal, so I can't even state how much hesitation existed during that ride, but the foreman explained that he felt the behavior at hand was to be expected.

Now, I have always liked BMWs, and there is so much about the 535 I like. But I will not keep a car with up to two seconds of unpredictable throttle hesitation, most especially not at this price. In fact, I think it's absolutely absurd, possibly to the point of disbelief. BMW cannot possibly expect customers to tolerate this in an automobile.

After our test ride, the shop foreman said that the hesitation issue was endemic to the series and beyond his ability to resolve, but that he thought I should contact someone at BMW to complain about the issue, and that he would escalate the problem to a field engineer after running diagnostics on the car. He then checked to see if my car had the lastest software fix for this issue, which it did (build date 12/16) and he ran some tests while I had a cup of coffee. When he was done, I went on my way.

A week and a half later, the service advisor calls me to say that they they heard back from the field engineer, and they want to reload software on to my transmission to address the issue.

First, I hope that this fixes the problem, because I would fall in love with the car all over again if the hesitation was gone. But even if it doesn't, to attempt a fix at all is to acknowledge the problem, and so I'm excited that BMW has at least shown an interest in providing relief for this issue. I was starting to think that I would have to simply take the car back, or learn to live with it. A disappointment either way...

I got a little nervous that it might just be the nature of the beast after reading nurmerous threads here about the issue, but I can't help but think that BMW must resolve a problem that is so clearly a safety issue, and one that could open them up to serious liability under some circumstances.

The severity of the hesitation problem is intermittent, but I can always floor the gas pedal and release it, and have the car barely move. Is this behavior typical? How far should a 2012 535ix move when flooring and releasing from a full stop?

Anyway, wish me luck! I will repost after I know the results of the software reload.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #55
CVF10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2012 535i

The only time I have this issue with hesitation is when I have the car in Comfort setting. If I put it in Sport, Sport+, or move the shifter to the left, then I have no hesitation. It's actually quite responsive when I do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #56
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

I sold the car! I got fed up with the dealership and BMW! They just don't know how to fix the car. I don't recommend buying this car at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #57
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Is there a discorelation between this hesitation problem and the Sport Automatic Transmission?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #58
chinese_food
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 528

Quote:
I sold the car! I got fed up with the dealership and BMW! They just don't know how to fix the car. I don't recommend buying this car at all.

the car doesn't want you anyways

Appreciate 0