2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 Subwoofer Add

04-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

F10 Subwoofer Add

Hi, guys, Ken from Musicar in Portland here. As some of you know, we have been doing vehicle-specific audio upgrades for BMWs since the E46, and we really started into this category with the E9x platform.

We have had many F10 owners ask us about an OE-Look Enclosure for the F10. We recently - finally - tooled up an F10 enclosure, and I thought I'd post some pics of the initial sample and the final in-car enclosure.

The F10 lacks the bass transfer of the F3X cars from the trunk, so we probably won't be offering any Level One packages using it. We will be offering the Level Two and Three packages for Add-A-Sub (PnP harness, amp mounting bracket, all wiring, loaded enclosure). We will announce Full Bass packages in the near future, and of course, we have Full Cabin systems which incorporate a trunk subwoofer).

The original made in the car:

Out of the car, sanding to get the smoothness needed for a mold to be tooled:

Test-fitting the first off-tool sample, not color-matched:

The first color-matched, OE-Look enclosure:

The Level Two is a 500W amp on a CNCd mount under the floor, and a JL 10W3. The Level Three AAS is a 600W amp and a JL 10W6. In either case, we recommend removing the ski-pass boot and folding the armrest down for the best low-end transfer.

We have also used the Morel Ultimo carbon-fiber sub with 650W as part of our Level Three and Level X Full-Cabin packages.

Our Add-A-Sub kits include a center-speaker disconnect loop. The Logic 7 5.1 upmixer in the HK cars isn't tuned for center imaging, and we prefer to disconnect it. This loop lets you try out our assertion that better sound is attained without the center, and if you disagree after trying it out, then you can readily plug it back in.

If you have any questions, please ask, but please use our email rather than PMs - we find that we get PM notifications sporadically. Use the Contact Us page at musicarcertified.com, thanks!
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Hi, guys, Ken from Musicar in Portland here. As some of you know, we have been doing vehicle-specific audio upgrades for BMWs since the E46, and we really started into this category with the E9x platform.

We have had many F10 owners ask us about an OE-Look Enclosure for the F10. We recently - finally - tooled up an F10 enclosure, and I thought I'd post some pics of the initial sample and the final in-car enclosure.

The F10 lacks the bass transfer of the F3X cars from the trunk, so we probably won't be offering any Level One packages using it. We will be offering the Level Two and Three packages for Add-A-Sub (PnP harness, amp mounting bracket, all wiring, loaded enclosure). We will announce Full Bass packages in the near future, and of course, we have Full Cabin systems which incorporate a trunk subwoofer).

The original made in the car:

Out of the car, sanding to get the smoothness needed for a mold to be tooled:

Test-fitting the first off-tool sample, not color-matched:

The first color-matched, OE-Look enclosure:

The Level Two is a 500W amp on a CNCd mount under the floor, and a JL 10W3. The Level Three AAS is a 600W amp and a JL 10W6. In either case, we recommend removing the ski-pass boot and folding the armrest down for the best low-end transfer.

We have also used the Morel Ultimo carbon-fiber sub with 650W as part of our Level Three and Level X Full-Cabin packages.

Our Add-A-Sub kits include a center-speaker disconnect loop. The Logic 7 5.1 upmixer in the HK cars isn't tuned for center imaging, and we prefer to disconnect it. This loop lets you try out our assertion that better sound is attained without the center, and if you disagree after trying it out, then you can readily plug it back in.

If you have any questions, please ask, but please use our email rather than PMs - we find that we get PM notifications sporadically. Use the Contact Us page at musicarcertified.com, thanks!
Looks good. Have you done anything with one of those enclosures on each side of the trunk?
      12-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
aplinhares
Rep
Drives: F10

what a lovely job
is compatible with standard sound (not premium) ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Why did you put the sub on the fuse box side? The factory amp is on drivers side in trunk as well.

I have been looking for someone to built a trunk enclosed sub for a while and like the work. Just not sure about blocking access to fusbox

Mike
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Wel said. In my old E46 M3, my installer put the sub on the driver side and had to remove the old radio tuner (instead of over the battery).

PITA to work with in my case. But lesson learned.

Going forward I've noticed that installation immediately behind the rear seat back was the best option.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
Charter23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive

Garage List
Take my money and put this in my car please.
      04-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Outstanding work VP!~ Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Question with regards to integration:

Doesn't the bimmertech PP86DSP have an extra unused amp output on a 676 hifi equipped 5 series car? (It has 7 driven channels: 3 front: left, center, right, 2 rear and 2 subs)

I.E. you *could* use the extra channel to drive a trunk sub? I know 55w isn't going to knock buildings down, but.....

????
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Scarce35
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535I 2013

Looking to upgrade hi-fi system with bimmertech alpha one speakers and under seat subs. I was thinking the same thing about adding musicar sub in the trunk and using the 8th channel to run the sub from the bimmertech pp86 dsp. Can I run in 2ohm configuration to get 110 watts out of the amp?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

The amplifier does carry one channel in reserve that could be utilized as a modest driver for a dedicated subwoofer. At 2ohm expect 70w output. With an efficient driver it will make plenty of bass, it doesn't take a ton of wattage to make big sound and increases in power are very much subject to diminishing returns.

It also has RCA outputs that you can run the full DSP through to send a prim and proper signal to another amplifier just for the subwoofer.
Appreciate 0