2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Took my F10 to the Autocross

12-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Took my F10 to the Autocross

Our local San Diego BMW club is quite active. They put on about 10 autocross events a year. Saturday December 4 was the final event of the year. I took my 535i to the event this time because my M3 is having engine issues and couldn't go. I wanted an excuse to try the 535i anyway.

Our autocross events are held in the large parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. The course this time was 1.3 miles in length. It consists of lots of tight turns, a slalom section, and one decent straightaway. I have the 6-speed manual tranny and I kept it in second gear the entire time. By the end of the straightaway the engine was up at the redline (I briefly hit 60mph!), but otherwise the engine was well in the safe area. The course is designed to keep the speeds down.

My car has the dynamic handling package and IAS. I'm happy to report I had a fun time at the autocross. I put the car in Sport+ mode and once I was comfortable with the course was having a fun time on the turns spinning the tires a bit. (OEM runflat tires)

The first thing I noticed was the handling of the car in Sport+ mode. The handling was nice and tight, but there's still more body roll compared to my M3. I guess that shouldn't surprise me. The 535i is about 400-500 pounds heavier than my M3 and sits higher. Overall, I was quite happy with the handling of the car in the tight turns given how large it is.

With the TC off, the car only complained once when I broke the back end loose (the TC light started flashing). Otherwise, I didn't notice the computer stepping in to clamp down the fun.

Compared to my M3, the 535i wasn't quite as much fun. More body roll and the engine wasn't quite as responsive. (Duh!) But I still had a great time. The car really impressed me with what it's capable of doing if you really want to push it!

My times were relatively slow compared to other drivers. But believe me, that has more to do with the fact that I suck than the capabilities of the car.

If you have a chance to drive in an autocross event with your F10, don't hesitate. It'll provide plenty of enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Our local San Diego BMW club is quite active. They put on about 10 autocross events a year. Saturday December 4 was the final event of the year. I took my 535i to the event this time because my M3 is having engine issues and couldn't go. I wanted an excuse to try the 535i anyway.

Our autocross events are held in the large parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. The course this time was 1.3 miles in length. It consists of lots of tight turns, a slalom section, and one decent straightaway. I have the 6-speed manual tranny and I kept it in second gear the entire time. By the end of the straightaway the engine was up at the redline (I briefly hit 60mph!), but otherwise the engine was well in the safe area. The course is designed to keep the speeds down.

My car has the dynamic handling package and IAS. I'm happy to report I had a fun time at the autocross. I put the car in Sport+ mode and once I was comfortable with the course was having a fun time on the turns spinning the tires a bit. (OEM runflat tires)

The first thing I noticed was the handling of the car in Sport+ mode. The handling was nice and tight, but there's still more body roll compared to my M3. I guess that shouldn't surprise me. The 535i is about 400-500 pounds heavier than my M3 and sits higher. Overall, I was quite happy with the handling of the car in the tight turns given how large it is.

With the TC off, the car only complained once when I broke the back end loose (the TC light started flashing). Otherwise, I didn't notice the computer stepping in to clamp down the fun.

Compared to my M3, the 535i wasn't quite as much fun. More body roll and the engine wasn't quite as responsive. (Duh!) But I still had a great time. The car really impressed me with what it's capable of doing if you really want to push it!

My times were relatively slow compared to other drivers. But believe me, that has more to do with the fact that I suck than the capabilities of the car.

If you have a chance to drive in an autocross event with your F10, don't hesitate. It'll provide plenty of enjoyment.

Thanks.

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to get the M Sport 535i if you wanted something that handled a little keener?
      12-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to get the M Sport 535i if you wanted something that handled a little keener?
Wasn't available in the U.S. when I ordered mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
smhoer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert 2008

Quote:
Wasn't available in the U.S. when I ordered mine.
In the US the M Sport package does not come with a suspension upgrade. It is cosmetic only. Kind of sucks we can't get the M Sport suspension over here.

Soon to be retired - ED 2008 - 335i Convert, Space Grey/Coral Red/Grey Poplar, Sport :
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:

Would have been great if you filmed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
In the US the M Sport package does not come with a suspension upgrade. It is cosmetic only. Kind of sucks we can't get the M Sport suspension over here.
Really? The M Sport car doesn't have M Sport suspension??