2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone know how to remove electronic hand brake switch

03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Anyone know how to remove electronic hand brake switch

Hi,

My auto hand brake switch has got more and more sticky to use over the past month. Maybe some dirt or dust is making it feel like this, but I`m sure if i could take it out and clean it, this would help...does anybody know how to remove the electronic hand brake switch...?

Thanks

Last edited by Ellmat; 03-12-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
dmontg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 550i

Just wondering if some liquId got in it? It would be a good collection point for that.
      03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontg View Post
Just wondering if some liquId got in it? It would be a good collection point for that.
OK to be honest, I was eating some MacDonald fries in the car and i think maybe some sauce fell down the side of the switch..?

I have cleaned the area with hot water and a tooth pick, but it is still not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
dmontg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 550i

Wouldn't that be McDonald "chips"?

Always wondered what a Scotsman was doing cooking pomme frites!

Can I supersize that for ya?
      03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
ImSW1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmat View Post
Hi,

My auto hand brake switch has got more and more sticky to use over the past month. Maybe some dirt or dust is making it feel like this, but I`m sure if i could take it out and clean it, this would help...does anybody know how to remove the electronic hand brake switch...?

Thanks
Here you go

Quote:
Firstly - I accept no responsability for any damage caused by anyone attempting this etc etc.. I'm sure if your not careful you could end up breaking something. If your not good at this sort of thing LEAVE IT ALONE!

1) The Console is actually only atttatched with one screw. Firstly, to get at the screw open the centre compartment by pressing the button and unclip the plastic cover that covers both the button and the key lock. You can do this with your hands and no tools. This will expose the torx screw as shown in image 1.

2) Once the screw is removed, the whole console clips out. You need to pull reasonably hard on the locations shown in image 2. I actualy leveraged the area next to the key lock under the bit where the screw goes with a large flat screwdriver taking care not to make contact with the finish of the wood. Grab the area to the side of the ashtray with your other hand (obvisouly US cars will be a mirror image of my photos!).

3) As per the image, once the console is unclipped, the whole thing lifts up. There are 5 cables to unclip as per image 3. Take care to press the relevent parts of the connectors to unclip them. There is also a module of some sort clipped behind the cup holders (sorry - don't have a photo). Think it may be the reciever for the key. I unplugged and unclipped it, but you could probably just unclip it and leave it lying.

4)Remove the iDrive controller, button panel (sport switches PDC etc), ashtray and cupholders. These are all held in with Torx screws.

5) Mask up the ashtray and cup holders so they can be polished separately and get polishing! The masking is required to stop dust from entering the internals of the parts. Didn't see the point in trying to remove the lids.

6) Refit in reverse order. Attached Thumbnails

I think it's 4 or 5 torx bolts once you get the console off. Not too hard to do really. Just be careful because the wood trim scratches very easily.

Sean
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

This is the right punishment for eating inside your car!
      03-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
Here you go

I think it's 4 or 5 torx bolts once you get the console off. Not too hard to do really. Just be careful because the wood trim scratches very easily.

Sean

Thank you...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Dennisg51
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
Here you go

BMW F10 series, Console removal

Sean
Just wanted to make this a fresh post, Sean's explanation & images worked a charm for me to remove my 2015 520d console.

Not many good descriptive explanations as this one were found in my www search.....hopefully this remains a well regarded, searched post.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Will following these steps allow you to replace the parking brake switch as well? Mine is cracked. I guess the PO pulled on it too hard or leaned on it and I've been wanting to replace it.
      12-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #10
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

It's a warranty/repairable part as it's considered part of the safety system...Book it in!

(To answer your question, yes it will. But wrap your gear selector to prevent damage, dealer damaged mine when they replaced the park brake switch and it had to go back in for a replacement)
Appreciate 0