2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Eco Pro Mode?

06-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
NikoNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535I xDrive 2015

Eco Pro Mode?

Whenever I'm on the highway with my kids in the car. I usually put the car in ECOpro mode. I have no idea what is does to make me get 4.8+mpg but thats not my question. On the cluster it tells me to take my foot off the gas, slow down MPH and "CHARGE POWER" What is charge power? It only goes to that side when i hit the brake. From my understanding thats how hybrids work. When you hit the brake it charges the battery? But i have a 535i xDrive. I dont have a hybrid lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

When you are coasting or braking, the alternator engages to charge the battery, otherwise, the alternator is disengage, unless the battery is below 80%. The eco mode will retard your throttle map, de-intensify your HVAC and put the transmission in netural when you let off the gas.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

ECO Pro smooth out your gas input. For example, you push it in half way it won't instantly give you the throttle respond but gradually get you there the best way it can burning the least amount of fuel. Basically, it creates massive throttle lag. Using Eco Pro in the city is like driving a gutless econobox. The +4.8mpg it display is the difference between the altered throttle input vs normal.

Charge power is the regnerative braking. When you coast or step on the brakes slowly, it uses the alternator to slow the car down and charge the battery. If you slam on the brakes, it uses the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
NikoNJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
ECO Pro smooth out your gas input. For example, you push it in half way it won't instantly give you the throttle respond but gradually get you there the best way it can burning the least amount of fuel. Basically, it creates massive throttle lag. Using Eco Pro in the city is like driving a gutless econobox.

Charge power is the regnerative braking. When you coast or step on the brakes slowly, it uses the alternator to slow the car down and charge the battery. If you slam on the brakes, it uses the brakes.
You know that's funny because I said that to myself as I was testing it out. I feel like the car isn't breaking when I want it to break.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoNJ View Post
You know that's funny because I said that to myself as I was testing it out. I feel like the car isn't breaking when I want it to break.
yea it causes the brakes to not feel linear compared to the ones without it.

I try to downshift to brake most of the time because it charges my battery faster that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
NikoNJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
yea it causes the brakes to not feel linear compared to the ones without it.

I try to downshift to brake most of the time because it charges my battery faster that way.
I'll be honest with you. I hate putting it in Eco mode because I feel disconnected from the car totally. The gas pedal is in responsive the brakes are the same thing. My a/c sucks lol I mean it's great for a road trip. But 20 miles runs, I'd rather leave it in comfort or sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If your brakes do not stop the car linearly, it might be due to the BMW ZF transmission that likes to downshift when coasting. The BMW regenerative braking system is nothing more than a marketing scheme, it does not use the alternator to slow down the car in place of the brakes. Think about it, how can it? We are talking about a small automotive alternator here, not a massive drive motor/generator that is found on a hybrid vehicle. The BMW regenerative system simply disengage the alternator during accelaration to gain a few HP and efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
NikoNJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
If your brakes do not stop the car linearly, it might be due to the BMW ZF transmission that likes to downshift when coasting. The BMW regenerative braking system is nothing more than a marketing scheme, it does not use the alternator to slow down the car in place of the brakes. Think about it, how can it? We are talking about a small automotive alternator here, not a massive drive motor/generator that is found on a hybrid vehicle. The BMW regenerative system simply disengage the alternator during accelaration to gain a few HP and efficiency.
Well whatever the case may be. You can feel the difference. My mother drove my car a couple of times and even She said "I think your brakes are bad because those don't feel like Bmw brakes" lol I told her to put it in comfort or sport and she said. This feels much more like a Beemer now so I mean even someone that isn't very car savvy can tell the difference. Idk I'll just stick to sport mode
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Lieutenant
Rep

It's not a big alternator like in an EV but its braking power is definitely noticeable and bigger than a regular alternator. And I do know when the car downshift. The car only uses downshifts aggressively when in sport mode, not normal/comfort/eco
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well whatever the case may be. You can feel the difference. My mother drove my car a couple of times and even She said "I think your brakes are bad because those don't feel like Bmw brakes" lol I told her to put it in comfort or sport and she said. This feels much more like a Beemer now so I mean even someone that isn't very car savvy can tell the difference. Idk I'll just stick to sport mode
The regenerative system is the same rather if you are in eco, comfort or sport mode. The only difference in braking while in eco mode might be the car shifting to neutral when you switch from gas to brake. There is a tiny bit of a surge when the transmission switch from drive to neutral. Maybe that is what you are feeling when you are braking. On the other hand, the new auto neutral option in eco mode does save a lot of gas, but too bad it is only available in eco mode, BMW should make it available in all modes.

Last edited by The X Men; 06-11-2015 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Putting the car in "neutral" is if you have coasting enabled on newer cars. Otherwise it engages the regenerative braking after lifting off of the gas. It does this in ALL driving modes (including Sport+). Pressing on the brake pedal is also no different in Eco Pro or sport. Eco pro is only changing throttle response, transmission shifting, and HVAC. That being said, Eco pro is much more valuable in city driving (to MPG) due to the reduced input of the throttle and transmission. This also pairs with recharging the battery for Automatic start stop which is the main reason for the regenerative braking.That also means you have to drive like a "granny" to get the full benefits of this. The only advantage you would get on the highway is the climate control piece and the warnings telling you to slow down.

That being said, I have my car coded to always start in Eco Pro as on average I get +4 mpg in my normal commute by using it. If you like the sportiness or responsiveness of comfort or sport then use it. The other option is to pull the shifter over to sport mode while in Eco pro if you need more responsiveness to get into a hole in traffic. Occasionally I'll drive in Sport or Sport+ if I want the car to be more responsive but in my normal commute it's not worth the mpg penalty just to ride someone's bumper in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
What does Eco pro do to the cars power bus?

For example, in older cars, you get 12 volts when alternator off and 13.8 volts with the alternator running

So, when your car's switching from brake regeneration to normal, is the bus voltage fluctuating?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

For example, in older cars, you get 12 volts when alternator off and 13.8 volts with the alternator running

So, when your car's switching from brake regeneration to normal, is the bus voltage fluctuating?
I am not sure, I have never measure the voltage when the car is accelerating, but I would imagine the voltage would have to be lower than the alternator disengage.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

From BMW Energy Management data.

Quote:
Central battery voltage specification
The power module measures the battery voltage continuously. This voltage is made available to all the other electronic control units via their bus connection. This facilitates for example a continuous operation of the slide/tilt sunroof irrespectively of the battery voltage.

There are no individual measurements of the individual control units with central battery voltage specification.
With extremes of voltage, 14V - 15.5V charging range, (max 16V), makes for some interesting electronics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #15
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

From BMW Energy Management data.

Quote:
Central battery voltage specification
The power module measures the battery voltage continuously. This voltage is made available to all the other electronic control units via their bus connection. This facilitates for example a continuous operation of the slide/tilt sunroof irrespectively of the battery voltage.

There are no individual measurements of the individual control units with central battery voltage specification.
With extremes of voltage, 14V - 15.5V charging range, (max 16V), makes for some interesting electronics.

HighlandPete
Pete,

Are sure you're not really a computer hanging off the cloud somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
DFWRaider
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i Black/Black M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
ECO Pro smooth out your gas input. For example, you push it in half way it won't instantly give you the throttle respond but gradually get you there the best way it can burning the least amount of fuel. Basically, it creates massive throttle lag. Using Eco Pro in the city is like driving a gutless econobox. The +4.8mpg it display is the difference between the altered throttle input vs normal.

I don't think the +4.8 is mpg, it's just the additional distance you can travel on your current tank of gas thanks to using ECO Pro. It goes back to zero each time you fill up your tank.
M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWRaider View Post
I don't think the +4.8 is mpg, it's just the additional distance you can travel on your current tank of gas thanks to using ECO Pro. It goes back to zero each time you fill up your tank.
+1. Its "+X.X Miles*, not MPG.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
DeskJockey98
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i X-Drive

I've played around with the EcoPro mode and hate it. As noted above, it creates horrible throttle lag and all you gain is a measly 3-4 miles of extra range from your gas tank. It doesn't even significantly increase your MPG--zero out your MPG readout and use EcoPro for a full tank, then do the same in Comfort, compare the results, and you'll see there isn't much difference. I have a short commute with moderate traffic, so it's even less useful for me, as it doesn't even extend the range for more than 1 or 2 miles. When you add in the nasty heat and humidity in my area, it makes even less sense for me to use it--I don't want to melt in my car just to (theoretically) save a bit of gas.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeskJockey98 View Post
I've played around with the EcoPro mode and hate it. As noted above, it creates horrible throttle lag and all you gain is a measly 3-4 miles of extra range from your gas tank. It doesn't even significantly increase your MPG--zero out your MPG readout and use EcoPro for a full tank, then do the same in Comfort, compare the results, and you'll see there isn't much difference. I have a short commute with moderate traffic, so it's even less useful for me, as it doesn't even extend the range for more than 1 or 2 miles. When you add in the nasty heat and humidity in my area, it makes even less sense for me to use it--I don't want to melt in my car just to (theoretically) save a bit of gas.
So far driving around town I'm at +20.xx extra miles. I still have over 3/4 tank. Our last road trip I "scored" an extra 85+ miles. Using EcoPro driving around Yellowstone I saw 749 miles to empty after a tank (averaged 31.6 over the ~2600 mile trip). Besides, with our traffic I don't have much opportunity to use comfort let alone sport or sport+ modes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
So far driving around town I'm at +20.xx extra miles. I still have over 3/4 tank. Our last road trip I "scored" an extra 85+ miles. Using EcoPro driving around Yellowstone I saw 749 miles to empty after a tank (averaged 31.6 over the ~2600 mile trip). Besides, with our traffic I don't have much opportunity to use comfort let alone sport or sport+ modes.
I'm jelly. I would get maybe 400 miles a tank on a good week. My average mpg overall is 16.3 lol.
Appreciate 0