2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 550i vs M5 buying

12-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
rics70
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

2014 550i vs M5 buying

Hi
I'm trying ti decide if the power difference between the 550i and M5 in daily use is noticeble for the price tag. In number there is some difference, but when you look at the performance (0-60) figures they are quite similar. It is not like i drag race to work every day.

What do you think? Pros? Cons?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Straight line speed is only a fraction of why the M5 is better.

The extra cost for the M car is for better handling, steering, interior materials, bigger brakes, suspension and of course the engine.

It all comes down to what type of driver you are and what you expect out of your car. Only you could decide if the M5 is worth the premium.

Alan
      12-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I had a pre-LCI 313bhp 535d and test drove two different pre-LCI M5s. To be honest, in normal day-to-day driving there really wasn't much difference in the performance. Both provide effortless performance and both could be considered in the 'more than adequate/verging on excessive' end of the spectrum. Only if you're absolutely committed in both cars, the M5 will be faster, but like you say your not going to drag race on your way to work. 550i would be similar to the 535d.

However, as Alan has said above, M5s are more than about straight line speed. Think of it this way, although they are all big heavy saloons, a 550i is like a faster, smoother 528i, although there may be similarities such as the gearbox, chassis (if the suspension options are the same), whereas the LCI M5 feels like a different model range to the std f10 (at least it does to me with the Competition Package).

One major +ve that Alan forgot was the DCT vs the 8speed auto. The M5 will also sound different to a 550i (even more so with CP with it's sports exhaust). As to -ve, although the M5 is not an uncomfortable car, when you drive one your likely to notice increased road noise and a firmer ride (assuming you don't opt for passive M Sport suspension on the 550i).

As Alan's already alluded to above, drive them both and decide for yourself which one suits you.

Last edited by Dionysus; 12-31-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Oh and forgot to mention AWD as xdrive is not a option on f10 M5, so that could be another deciding factor.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

rics70 - you should really drive both, but also decide what's important and what's not.

I picked up a '14 550i xDrive (just took delivery today, in fact). While the M5 was surely an option, it didn't make sense for me for a few reasons:

1. No xDrive, so it's not driveable in the north all year round.

2. More expense without the ability to "tap" the value of that expense (e.g. I'm not taking it to the track, so what am I doing with it?). I liken this to owning a greyhound but never taking it outside to run.

3. Ride comfort. Considering 99% of the time I'll be trying to get from point A to point B, and not drag racing as you said, ride comfort was more important than the extra performance, especially as I could never tap that extra power.

As I've actually stated recently on the M5 site, I think the car is a bit strange. It's not an exotic sports car and it's not a luxury sedan - but it's actually both, and then neither at the same time. A bit of a split personality disorder, perhaps? For me, it's a very expensive compromise between two worlds that are difficult to reconcile. That said, it's an amazing machine as any M car would be.

If the car is going to be mainly used for commuting, and you're not the type to go to a track, I would get the 550 hands-down. It'll be more sedate when you want it to be, more comfortable, and it'll provide much more power than you'll really ever need on a public road. It's 0 - 60 for the xDrive is a scant 4.3s, which is scary fast for a 4400lb 4-door sedan, and I highly doubt you'll need (or should need) to test that performance on any regular basis.

If you're really an enthusiast who plans to go to the track, perhaps look at the M5. A 550 at the track just seems silly to me. The car was designed as a luxury sedan for hauling the family and business trips, and while it is indeed quick, it's not bred to race. The M5 is, however, something that would be at-home on a track. The ring taxis are M5s, for instance. This could give you a car that drives you to work each day and straight to the track afterwards or on Sunday. Personally, I would rather keep a dedicated car for the track (something 2-seater, small, and light) and a dedicated luxury sedan (like the 550) for a DD... but some do enjoy mixing the two worlds together - hence the M5. Living in PR, the weather is probably fine year-round for you to use the M5, too.

Either way, I think you'll get a great car. Just think about what you truly value, test drive both cars, and decide. Keep in mind that the M5 will always put a bigger smile on your face - like riding a faster rollercoaster - which is why it's important to weigh the pros and cons on paper a good while AFTER you step out of the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
M5 for sure!

But if u only drive at 5/10ths of the car's capability then save the $$$$ and get 550i.

If u can afford it easily, to me the M5 is a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
I was on the same boat. Chose 550+Dinan two years ago and not looking back. More than enough power for dd. However, I had to change the springs to enjoy the ride more. If you really want an M car, I recommend M6 coupe! Way more fun to drive compared to M5 imo.
      01-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
GringoEd
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i MSport

For me, it came down to being able to buy 550i MSport and a new Ford F-150 Truck for less than the cost of M5. Really love my BMW, and it is a huge improvement over the E55 AMG it replaced.
One thing about these car-buying decisions: they aren't permanent. Make your best choice, and if it was a mistake sell/trade it for another choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

When I opted for my 550i, the decision was based on the best car i could 'reasonably' afford. There was a time when the impulse to 'stretch' to an M vehicle was very strong based on the spec sheet. However, after getting the opportunity to attend a BMW event to drive a range of M vehicles (M5, M6 variants and X6M), I realized that the M is just not suitable for me.

Moral of the story: as noted by some above, if price is not an obstacle, go test drive both and see which one you prefer. It's purely a personal choice dude, you're going to have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Today is a perfect example of why I chose the 550 over the M5. Was snowing this morning and it will likely continue through late tomorrow. I never have the luxury of missing work so my daily driver needs to be able to go through pretty much anything. Is the M5 more fun to drive? Yes. Is it faster? Yes. But is it practical as a daily driver? I would say yes if you live in the south but absolutely not if you live in the anywhere else.

As for a daily driver outside the south, there are very few cars on the same level as the 550 i x-drive. In my mind the only competition is the S6. It would be real interesting to see a head to head between the 550 LCI with the bigger engine and the S6.

If you really crave power and performance, but need true all year drivability, the e63 is AWD and an absolute beast.

Last edited by nal13; 01-02-2014 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
Today is a perfect example of why I chose the 550 over the M5. Was snowing this morning and it will likely continue through late tomorrow. I never have the luxury of missing work so my daily driver needs to be able to go through pretty much anything. Is the M5 more fun to drive? Yes. Is it faster? Yes. But is it practical as a daily driver? I would say yes if you live in the south but absolutely not if you live in the anywhere else.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, going back to the OP's situation and question...

1. He lives in PR - so no snow or ice.

2. He was specifically asking about noticeable performance differences.

Given #1, I'd say the M5 could probably be a daily driver. I will add, however, having been to PR a few times, the streets aren't exactly smooth everywhere. I'd still consider ride quality in a decision here if this is going to be a DD for commuting.

On #2, I think the key word here is "noticeable" when describing performance differences. At what point does the performance become NOTICEABLY different? And specifically, the OP asks about 0 - 60 times. I think we can all agree that the M5 is going to be a better performer - the question is just really when does that become "noticeable." I think most people would have a hard time legitimately arguing that the inflection point of "noticeably" better performance can occur (legally) on a public road.

Neither car will legally be able to test its limits on public roads. I don't know what the laws are in PR, but it should be noted that several states in the US will consider it "reckless driving" if you're found flat-out accelerating, too, where it may be deemed as a "disregard for public safety", racing, or various other "gotchas" - even if you never exceed the posted speed limit. So, 0 - 60 in 4.3s of the 550xi, even in and of itself, may be something you want to avoid doing on a public road... and therefore, the slightly better 4.2s of the M5 DCT starts to seem a bit pointless?

Now, as it's been pointed out a lot here - the M5 is more than just "faster" performance, but it's also the entire handling of the car. But again, if you're not going to take the car to a track and really exercise it for those purposes, will you be able to perceive anything vastly superior on a public road? Probably not. In fact, I'd suggest just the opposite. If anything, the M5's permanently stiff suspension and rougher ride will be much more perceivable to you on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, 0 - 60 in 4.3s of the 550xi, even in and of itself, may be something you want to avoid doing on a public road... and therefore, the slightly better 4.2s of the M5 DCT starts to seem a bit pointless?
Both these cars produce excessive amounts of power/torque for normal road use, so can be traction limited if you have lead feet. Xdrive can counteract this even if you live in PR. It takes time to learn how to moderate the throttle in an M5 to get the best from it, even with it's special tyres. Xdrive will easier to accelerate/handle for the majority of drivers.

If we are talking 0-60 times, motortrend has tested both the pre-LCI M5 and the LCI M5 CP at 3.7s (4.2s is BMWs published figure for 0 - 62 for the LCI CP), however, I would agree that's a pointless measure for on-road use.

Quote:
But again, if you're not going to take the car to a track and really exercise it for those purposes, will you be able to perceive anything vastly superior on a public road? Probably not. In fact, I'd suggest just the opposite. If anything, the M5's permanently stiff suspension and rougher ride will be much more perceivable to you on a daily basis.
The answer to your first question is yes. The stiffer chassis of the M5 CP also eradicates the slight perception of body-flex that effects the other F10s, and provides a more consistent and predictable handling at all speeds. The secondary ride may be worse, but the primary ride is better, if you are looking for a sporty car (most of us looking at BMW probably are). You can also individually tailor the engine, suspension, steering, & gearbox in the M5 and save your own preferred settings to the M1/M2 button on the steering wheel. This is more granular than the selection adaptive drive provides and I feel it's easier to access over the adaptive drive centre console switch.

I agree with you insomuch as the the speeds at which the adaptive drive car feels like it's reaching limits whereas the M5 is just getting into it's stride are unlikely to be experienced on the public road, however, some of us like to know we have a lot in reserve. I'm not knocking adaptive drive, it's great for what it is, but it's not prefect just as the slightly compromised M5 chassis is not prefect.

I've moved from adaptive drive M sport & M5 CP and prefer the M5's chassis setup, even though the stiffer ride is a compromise (road surfaces aren't exactly great in the UK either). Is one categorically better than the other? No, just different and will come down to personal preference

I asked my Sales Manager (take into account he's an M car nut) what is the best F10 and he answered 520d (4 cylinder, not sold in US) or 530d (single turbo, sold in US as 535d). If we really want to have a debate over whether or not an M5 is worth it over a 550i, then we also have to ask ourselves if a 550i is worth it over a 535d - both have lots of torque for real world, on road, effortless acceleration, both can have the same chassis set up, but the 535d is a fair amount lighter (will aid ride & handling) & far more fuel efficient than the 550i, if slightly less refined (engine) at times.

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-02-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dionysus - I agree with pretty much everything you've said - spot on. I also agree that the 535d/530d is probably a better all-around DD choice (for the reasons you pointed out) over the 550i. While I'm enjoying the performance of the 550i, the thing really does consume fuel like no tomorrow. I'm just not a fan of the diesel cars yet, as the engine refinement for me is a killer. Not the "clatter clatter" of yesteryear, but also not quiet enough for me to feel like I'm driving a luxury car, either. It's stupid, in reality, but one of my quirks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

If you're not tracking the car the $20K difference isn't worth it! I decided to go with a 550xi with MSport Package and a Stage 2 Dinan tune! Yes the suspension isn't as crisp as an M5, but I have less worries getting home in a snow storm.
      01-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Two very different cars. Straight line acceleration is only one factor. The M5 is a completely different animal from all perspectives, acceleration, braking, handling. You get what you pay for with an M5, you just may not need/want all of it. Test drive both, and you'll see they are completely different cars and decide which one is a best fit for you and your needs.
      01-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

At least with the M5 you'll never be looking back saying "Well I should have gotten the better car..."

Especially when a 550 comes up fast behind you before realizing what they just stalked.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #18
rics70
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

Thanks all for the advice and opinions. Very good points. It's time for a test drive..... I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rics70
Hi
I'm trying ti decide if the power difference between the 550i and M5 in daily use is noticeble for the price tag. In number there is some difference, but when you look at the performance (0-60) figures they are quite similar. It is not like i drag race to work every day.

What do you think? Pros? Cons?
The 550 is a horizontal solution that you can drive every day and feel confident that it will fit various aspects of your life.

The m5 is a vertical solution that shouldn't be driven in every situation any more than you would wear your favorite sport shirt everyday. As a vertical solution, you will need to augment your purchase with several other verticals, like a Porsche or a clk. In the alternative, you could purchase another horizontal solution to go along with your m5 vertical solution---such as an E class or even another 5 series.

Now, if you are laughing at me and saying you don't need another lux sedan to compliment your m5, then you don't get it and I suggest you abandon the m5 and buy a daily driver 550.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #20
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The 550 is a horizontal solution that you can drive every day and feel confident that it will fit various aspects of your life.

The m5 is a vertical solution that shouldn't be driven in every situation any more than you would wear your favorite sport shirt everyday. As a vertical solution, you will need to augment your purchase with several other verticals, like a Porsche or a clk. In the alternative, you could purchase another horizontal solution to go along with your m5 vertical solution---such as an E class or even another 5 series.

Now, if you are laughing at me and saying you don't need another lux sedan to compliment your m5, then you don't get it and I suggest you abandon the m5 and buy a daily driver 550.
I tend to agree with your philosophy... and it's true for MOST people and MOST scenarios, but not all. The M5 would be a "vertical solution" for someone like myself, who lives in the north east US. I could never drive an M5 during the winter. And honestly, the M5 wouldn't work for various other situations I find I need for a DD even in the other seasons.

The OP, on the other hand, lives in PR. Winter isn't a concern for him. We don't know anything else about his DD requirements or lifestyle, as well. For all we know he works from home, maybe even retired, and his DD requirements are just about getting to town for an errand here and there while taking Sunday drives. I think we'd need to know a lot more about how he plans to define "daily driver" before we could say it's not a viable solution for him.

Personally, I likely wouldn't EVER consider the M5 a viable DD... just driving in the rain I'm not sure I'd want a RWD car with performance tires and 560HP. I also take clients and colleagues in the car with me from time to time, and the M5 is just a bit too "brutish" for some circumstances where you just want more laid back luxury... no rowdy exhaust or "look at me" attention.

So, long story short, I don't think we have the insight to know whether the M5 could be a viable DD solution for the OP. It really depends on his necessity for a DD, his lifestyle, and what he can live with or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
rics70 - you should really drive both, but also decide what's important and what's not.

I picked up a '14 550i xDrive (just took delivery today, in fact). While the M5 was surely an option, it didn't make sense for me for a few reasons:

1. No xDrive, so it's not driveable in the north all year round.

2.More expense without the ability to "tap" the value of that expense (e.g. I'm not taking it to the track, so what am I doing with it?). I liken this to owning a greyhound but never taking it outside to run.

3. Ride comfort. Considering 99% of the time I'll be trying to get from point A to point B, and not drag racing as you said, ride comfort was more important than the extra performance, especially as I could never tap that extra power.

As I've actually stated recently on the M5 site, I think the car is a bit strange. It's not an exotic sports car and it's not a luxury sedan - but it's actually both, and then neither at the same time. A bit of a split personality disorder, perhaps? For me, it's a very expensive compromise between two worlds that are difficult to reconcile. That said, it's an amazing machine as any M car would be.

If the car is going to be mainly used for commuting, and you're not the type to go to a track, I would get the 550 hands-down. It'll be more sedate when you want it to be, more comfortable, and it'll provide much more power than you'll really ever need on a public road. It's 0 - 60 for the xDrive is a scant 4.3s, which is scary fast for a 4400lb 4-door sedan, and I highly doubt you'll need (or should need) to test that performance on any regular basis.

If you're really an enthusiast who plans to go to the track, perhaps look at the M5. A 550 at the track just seems silly to me. The car was designed as a luxury sedan for hauling the family and business trips, and while it is indeed quick, it's not bred to race. The M5 is, however, something that would be at-home on a track. The ring taxis are M5s, for instance. This could give you a car that drives you to work each day and straight to the track afterwards or on Sunday. Personally, I would rather keep a dedicated car for the track (something 2-seater, small, and light) and a dedicated luxury sedan (like the 550) for a DD... but some do enjoy mixing the two worlds together - hence the M5. Living in PR, the weather is probably fine year-round for you to use the M5, too.

Either way, I think you'll get a great car. Just think about what you truly value, test drive both cars, and decide. Keep in mind that the M5 will always put a bigger smile on your face - like riding a faster rollercoaster - which is why it's important to weigh the pros and cons on paper a good while AFTER you step out of the driver's seat.
you sound like an old lady
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #22
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
you sound like an old lady
Ha! Well, with 445hp vs. 560hp, I don't think EITHER car can be confused with something that an "old lady" would prefer to drive. My point here was only that there comes a time when you need to strike a balance... otherwise we'd all just opt for the car that gave the most extreme performance. My 335i with 300hp, for that matter, rarely had the pedal pushed down 100%. There just aren't that many circumstances on public roads where you need to (or can safely) tap all of the available power. Once you start getting over 400hp and 500hp, it's getting into semi-ridiculous territory for a road-car. I'll use the full power of the 550's 445hp V8 probably once in a blue moon when I decide to mash the pedal and pass someone on the highway... that'll last for all of 2 seconds, literally, before I'm moving sufficiently faster than the car I'm passing. It's tough to justify what I'd do with 560hp that isn't already extreme and over-indulgent with 445hp!

So, when the OP asked if the power difference warrants getting the M5 over the 550, I was simply pointing out that 445hp is probably already more than anyone is going to use on the road, and comfort might be worth evaluating (to again, strike a balance) if this is going to be a daily driver. All of that goes out the window, of course, if you plan to take a car to the track... and then, of course, the M5 is the only 5-series that has any place at a track IMHO.

Now, stop bothering me... I'm getting a cup of tea and sitting down to watch the soaps on TV before heading out for an intense night of Bingo and Bridge!
Appreciate 0