2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum GT issues

07-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
ksquare
Captain
Rep
Drives: 535 GT

GT issues

Guys,

I have been driving my 535 GT for about a month plus. I noticed a few issues as follows:-

1) I get a very loud wind noise when i press the panorama roof all the way back. I mean all the way (pressing the button 4 times). BMW said nothing can be done, just advised dont press all the way back....

2) occasionally i hear wind noise from the side window (driver side)

3) at around 50km/h (b/t 40 to 60), i can subtly feel some steering wheel vibration (as if some friction feel). its quite mild and you have to "look for it" to feel it. dont have it at higher of lower speeds. I took it back to bmw and the technician couldn't feel it. maybe i am too sensitive.

4) when the engine is on, i can hear a constant "tapping/knocking" sound. I wonder if this is normal as my previous e90 didnt have this at all.

Anyone have similar issues? or any other issues to look out for?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
ello888
Rep
Drives: GT

(1) have not tried but I would guess this is true as the deflector is huge compared to other cars. Will test this out some time soon.

(2) nope don't get this. However I come from a convertible so the noise I get in the F07 is really nothing when compared to what I had previously, even with the roof down.

(3) No I don’t notice. However a friend of mine is suffering from this problem when the car is driving at slow and even stand still!

(4) yes noticed this however only when the engine is started when cold. When the engine is hot from a previous drive, this didn’t seem to occur. Need to re-check now you bring this up but I remembered I also noticed the “tick tick tick tick tick” when engine idle after start in the morning.

Actually on when did your car got delivered? I noticed these cars could have been made months before they were released to the market. I put the car on a lift right after I picked up and noticed that the front suspension have rust on them! I also noticed the CV and ball joint arms were all dirty, nothing like brand new from what you will see in a parts store.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
ksquare
Captain
Rep

Regarding the panorama roof noise, the sound becomes noticeable and unbearable at above 60-70km/h.

Engine noise, i think its more like "tuk tuk tuk tuk". And you are right, especially when started cold. Sound like i am driving a diesel....

I havent actually looked under the car yet. Probably will be able to as I just got delivery of my AC springs. My car is a March production and i got it in May.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Nope

I drive a 530d SE GT in the UK [Sept 2009 production] and have not had these problems. I would notice mild vibrations and tapping/knocking and that has just not happened.

I have not driven with the panoramic moonroof open at high speeds as I don't like the sound/buffeting anyway. So cannot comment on this.

What I have had at low speed, especially when setting off from cold start, is tranny-slam as if the car is looking for the right gear. Am told this is pretty common on 7 and 8-speed gearboxes.

But the GT is a dream: I cannot believe it is not any more successful. I have had so many people stop me to say it looks 'smart' (in sapphire black, ivory trim). Excellent performance and handling, superb economy for a car that size.

Hope you get down to the bottom of your troubles.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
Guys,

I have been driving my 535 GT for about a month plus. I noticed a few issues as follows:-

1) I get a very loud wind noise when i press the panorama roof all the way back. I mean all the way (pressing the button 4 times). BMW said nothing can be done, just advised dont press all the way back....

2) occasionally i hear wind noise from the side window (driver side)

3) at around 50km/h (b/t 40 to 60), I can subtly feel some steering wheel vibration (as if some friction feel). its quite mild and you have to "look for it" to feel it. dont have it at higher of lower speeds. I took it back to bmw and the technician couldn't feel it. maybe i am too sensitive.

4) when the engine is on, i can hear a constant "tapping/knocking" sound. I wonder if this is normal as my previous e90 didnt have this at all.

I personally have never experienced any severe buffeting with the pano roof all the way open, albeit I have never driven on the highway with it all the way open.

Did you notice the vibration "before" you put the aftermarket rims/tires on? it could be attributable to the balance being slightly off BTW do you have the Lane Departure Warning system? it intentionally vibrates the steering wheel if it detects you are about to leave your lane of travel without signaling.

I dont recall every hearing any tapping noise on cold start (V8) buuuut there is some shifting hesitation on the 1-2 shift' at times...

Other than that, no other "pecuiliarities" noted
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
ksquare
Captain
Rep

I don't have the lane departure option.I went back to BMW and took the demo car for a drive. It had the same mild vibration, though not as noticeable as my car.

Oh yes. I experienced the same thing as well. Sometimes the gear change between first and second gears are very jerky when in a crawl. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved with updates to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

wind noise with roof fully retracted is probably to be expected

I have no window noise at all - have just been cruising at 75 mph for over an hour with no extraneous noises

suggest subtle steering wheel vibration is either Lane Departure Warning or Active Blind Spot Detection - unless you don't have them

no sign of engine noise on 550 but I have had the tranny-slam a couple of times in heavy traffic

overall very impressed with GT although still only 300 miles on the clock!
      07-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Excellent performance and handling, superb economy for a car that size.
I too am thrilled with my 530dSE.Love the sport mode.Would be interested to hear of your fuel consumption figures.My combined figure is about 33mpg, mainly short runs on country roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

only figures I have are 25 mpg after an hour's average at 75 mph - this is US gallons so that is around 30 imperial mpg

not great but better than I expected from an all-wheel drive 550 and it should get better mileage once it frees up a bit more
      07-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelh View Post
I too am thrilled with my 530dSE.Love the sport mode.Would be interested to hear of your fuel consumption figures.My combined figure is about 33mpg, mainly short runs on country roads.

Hi Nigel:

I drive on a short 5 mile commute largely in a 30 mph zone so should be worst for economy but have been averaging around 32 mpg [UK]. Have not had too many long motorway journeys yet (but expect to in August) but hope it will at least get to 40 mpg laden.

I think the 5 GT has been an absolute find: once you get over the rear looks and the gimmicky rear end, it is actually a superb tourer: fast, stable, great drive and handling in sport mode, and tons of luxurious space. The car shares almost everything with the 7-Series and is only linked to the 5 in name. Even the trim options i have cant be got on the 5-Sedan and Touring [such as Ivory White Leather and Unlacquered Fineline Wood Interior. All the fun bits are standard.

I am soooo glad I got this over the M-Sport Sedan which I still cant love.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Hi Nigel:

I drive on a short 5 mile commute largely in a 30 mph zone so should be worst for economy but have been averaging around 32 mpg [UK]. Have not had too many long motorway journeys yet (but expect to in August) but hope it will at least get to 40 mpg laden.

I think the 5 GT has been an absolute find: once you get over the rear looks and the gimmicky rear end, it is actually a superb tourer: fast, stable, great drive and handling in sport mode, and tons of luxurious space. The car shares almost everything with the 7-Series and is only linked to the 5 in name. Even the trim options i have cant be got on the 5-Sedan and Touring [such as Ivory White Leather and Unlacquered Fineline Wood Interior. All the fun bits are standard.

I am soooo glad I got this over the M-Sport Sedan which I still cant love.
Well I have 7100 on my 550 GT. My car still looks showroom, and when I drive it I'm not shy with it. The car will scream in sport mode, and to be honest I have no complaints about the handling. The only thing I am on the fence about is the run flats, altough the Good Year Excellence RFT's are better than other RFT's I have experienced, they still can be harsh over some surfaces. Other than that I love driving my "wing less" private jet
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
RAzcuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i GT

Unhappy 535i GT Has an Achilles Heel?

Recently I was surprised to find out that my 2010 535i GT has an Achilles Heel in a spot that you would never have thought existed and is not covered by the warranty.

Beware the trunk! Inside the trunk of a BMW 2010 535i GT is an electronic module located on the right side wall. If by any chance any liquid penetrates the carpet into this area it can damage it and it is not covered under warranty. What a design flaw. There is no sign or information that let's you know that there is any sensitive electronic equipment where it could possibly get damaged. So don't put a wet umbrella, or groceries that might tip over, wet towel, or open your trunk during a rain storm.

What happens when it gets damaged due to water seepage? The sensors in your car begin to go crazy. The AC shuts off, the NAV computer shuts off, your air bag restraint system shuts off, the radio doesn't work, etc. You would think that something so critical would not be put in the trunk of a car or at the very least package it in such a way to prevent seepage of any dew or water intrusion.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The repair is $2000.00 to replace it. I was very happy with the car until today. This is the second BMW that I have owned and this is the first time that I have ever run into this kind of poor design work on their part.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAzcuy View Post
Recently I was surprised to find out that my 2010 535i GT has an Achilles Heel in a spot that you would never have thought existed and is not covered by the warranty.

Beware the trunk! Inside the trunk of a BMW 2010 535i GT is an electronic module located on the right side wall. If by any chance any liquid penetrates the carpet into this area it can damage it and it is not covered under warranty. What a design flaw. There is no sign or information that let's you know that there is any sensitive electronic equipment where it could possibly get damaged. So don't put a wet umbrella, or groceries that might tip over, wet towel, or open your trunk during a rain storm.

What happens when it gets damaged due to water seepage? The sensors in your car begin to go crazy. The AC shuts off, the NAV computer shuts off, your air bag restraint system shuts off, the radio doesn't work, etc. You would think that something so critical would not be put in the trunk of a car or at the very least package it in such a way to prevent seepage of any dew or water intrusion.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The repair is $2000.00 to replace it. I was very happy with the car until today. This is the second BMW that I have owned and this is the first time that I have ever run into this kind of poor design work on their part.
From the User's Manual:

No fluids in the trunk
Make sure that fluids do not leak into the
trunk; otherwise, the vehicle may be damaged.◀

An expensive mistake, but it IS in the manual...now, most people don't read it, but...

I don't know for sure, but since most (all?) BMW's have their battery in the trunk to help balance F/R weight distribution, I'd bet that this situation is not unique to the GT - I'd guess all of them have some electronics there potentially subject to spills.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 08-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: added comment
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
dmunz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
Guys,

<snip>

I think this is actually a design feature. If you look at the air dam that pops up it is really a mesh screen. The wind passing through the screen makes that noise. On my Volvo, the air dam is made of regular semi-pyramid shapes (kind of like the tank obsticals on Normandy beach) and it doesn't make any noise at all.

In either case there has to be something to disrupt the air over the top of the car or you get massive buffetting down through the opening. Next time you are out driving reach up and push down the air dam (it is just spring loaded) and you will see what I mean.

I'm guessing that BMW thought the wind noise through the screen was more natural than some of the other options.

FWIW
DLM
Appreciate 0