2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Interested in buying a light control switch with rear fog light control?

09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Interested in buying a light control switch with rear fog light control?

I will be receiving a few of these light control switches (pictured here) on 9/20 for our US cars to have access to the rear fog light.

If you want to join in on this or a future buy, please visit my thread here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=714650

and post a reply.
Thank You!
Attached Images

09-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

What is rear fogs sorry I'm new to the bimmers
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
btv764
.:
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACKZ89 View Post

Wikipedia to the rescue....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...Rear_fog_lamps
      09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACKZ89
Rear fogs make your tail lights shine brighter (almost as if you were applying your brakes) to enable vehicles behind you to see your car during heavy fog. Cool feature to have, but you actually never get to see the lamps while driving.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday
There are incandescent bulbs in the rear light housings that illumine brightly when activated to give more noticeability to your car in low visibility situations such as heavy fog/rain. Mercedes used to give US customers access to this feature, this is why you'll always see so many older ones on the road with a single bright light running in the rear.
Wow lmao I was always wondering why the benz's looked like that I just thought the lights took a shyt!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Rear fogs make your tail lights shine brighter (almost as if you were applying your brakes) to enable vehicles behind you to see your car during heavy fog. Cool feature to have, but you actually never get to see the lamps while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
There are incandescent bulbs in the rear light housings that illumine brightly when activated to give more noticeability to your car in low visibility situations such as heavy fog/rain. Mercedes used to give US customers access to this feature, this is why you'll always see so many older ones on the road with a single bright light running in the rear.
In our cars, the rear fog light is only on the inboard edge of the left brake light fixture. There is no protocol on whether we address the rear fog light as singular or plural, but the light source is only from the left side of the car.

No disagreement with what you've written, but the use of the plural can cause confusion and allow people think that the fog light is from both left and right brake light housings.
      09-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
In our cars, the rear fog light is only on the inboard edge of the left brake light fixture. There is no protocol on whether we address the rear fog light as singular or plural, but the light source is only from the left side of the car.

No disagreement with what you've written, but the use of the plural can cause confusion and allow people think that the fog light is from both left and right brake light housings.
plural was correct MWPos

We have one rear fog light on each side, so it's 2. One on the left and one on the right. You are correct about it being the inboard edge, it uses the "inside brake lamp" as the owner's manual calls it, but it turns on both sides, just like in an E9X. These are the lights that are used in the "Brake Force Display which come on under panic braking. If you do panic brake when you're using your rear fogs, you won't have the extra Brake Force Display light come on because they are already on.

I changed my switch yesterday so I am 100% certain that both sides light up with the rear fog light switch on the 5's.

Last edited by wrickem; 09-12-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
plural was correct MWPos

We have one rear fog light on each side, so it's 2. One on the left and one on the right. You are correct about it being the inboard edge, it uses the "inside brake lamp" as the owner's manual calls it, but it turns on both sides, just like in an E9X. These are the lights that are used in the "Brake Force Display which come on under panic braking. If you do panic brake when you're using your rear fogs, you won't have the extra Brake Force Display light come on because they are already on.

I changed my switch yesterday so I am 100% certain that both sides light up with the rear fog light switch on the 5's.
Thank you! This thread shows clearly both inboard sections. I don't remember where I read that it was the left side only, and thanks for the correction!

I "drive" corrected.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597179
      09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Thank you! This thread shows clearly both inboard sections. I don't remember where I read that it was the left side only, and thanks for the correction!

I "drive" corrected.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597179
you probably got it confused with Porsche which only used one side for years
      09-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Probably, and I was passing them so quickly that I didn't really notice them anyway!