2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Iphone app - BMW Connected

09-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

@Lukeswarm,
Cool thanks I will go and take a closer look at the demo :-)
Lol that's a good point.
So if it does all this on the Iphone why would you need the new BMW Tracking 5GB option for 325 with ongoing subscription costs?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #24
Lukeswarm
Always Warm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
@Lukeswarm,
Cool thanks I will go and take a closer look at the demo :-)
Lol that's a good point.
So if it does all this on the Iphone why would you need the new BMW Tracking 5GB option for 325 with ongoing subscription costs?
That is a damn good question, if you look at that option it says not available in the UK... in fact it says its only available in Italy and Germany

I don't want money off my insurance i just want to know where to point the police if i can!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@Lukeswarm,
Thanks
Really which website said that, despite being told initally by BMW customer services a few weeks back it wasn't available I think it is now.

If you look on the latest price list and I think configurator.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/images/brochure...Price_List.pdf

BMW Tracking1 5GB is available in the UK for 325 pounds this appears to be a new option along with the winter tyres. This now matches up with the connected drive website. Which says the tracking is available in the UK http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/stage.php

It sounds quite clever apparently it calls the police if your car moves without the engine running :-) I assume they enable that after delivery :-)

Actually having had my car stolen, I wouldn't want that, do you really want that?
On reflection I have concluded that fully comp and GAP insurance is the way to go.
I wouldn't want my car back after some tea leaf has been driving it!

Last edited by pmw103; 09-17-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
Lukeswarm
Always Warm
United Kingdom
Rep

I might not want the car back but... i would like to know where the fecker lives :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

@ pmw103,

I cant agree with you more, I believe in GAP because if my car is stolen I will pray its never found. Its will never come back the same, even if it does, it will still have been violated and would rather have the good memories not tainted.
      09-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Lukeswarm
Always Warm
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had a car stolen from my garage, it was stripped and dumped outside a police station... my insurance tripled to well over £180 per month. My car (the F10 when it arrives) will be parked in my garage that requires a code to open the door, the car has a tracker fitted and i STILL want to know if the imobiliser in the F10 is code driven like the old days... i.e. put the key in and you have to enter a code before the car will start... ANYONE KNOW?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #29
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@delvek
Yep I gutted when I discoverd it was stolen but after thinking about it for a while I decided like you I was glad they didn't find it! Although I occasionaly wonder where it is! I still have very fond memoreis of it!

The trick is finding a comprehensive GAP policy. Certainly in the UK with the upcoming VAT rise people need to be careful to get more than return to invoice otherwise they will be down 2.5% on any quote straight away. I actually was luckly on one level becuase the car was just less than a year old when the car was stolen the insurance paid out 90% of the original value. Of course they didn't pay out on the after market extras I put on the car......

@Lukeswarm
Ah I see, although if he was smart enough to lift a BMW he won't take it home......
I suspect my car was parts hours after being stolen.
The worst part was that they didn't even bother starting my car they dragged it out a car park with a tow truck.
Do you know did they start your car? Or did they tow or lift it?
Sounds like someone was making a point dumping it outside the police station thats just rude.
Have you considered CCTV?
Its not so expensive and you could get a system the streams over the internet.

From the cars we drove at the dealers, I never saw them put a code in and indeed the one we took out for a extended drive didn't need a code to start, I just looked through the USA pdf, nothing obvious in there, but it might be something they can enable I don't know, worth asking your dealer.
Are you putting a tracker on ? Some of the trackers can include additional secuirty.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

I have only had one car stolen from me. It was in 1990 and it was a 1983 280zx turbo 5spd, 2+2 with t-tops, black ... I too every now and then wonder whatever became of it and at this point, which junkyard its shell is sitting in. Part of life I guess.

As for the GAP, I am American but live in Germany. There are a few American lenders that allow cars to be registered in Europe, the one I use has quite a good GAP policy and the cost is incredibly low. Makes no sense for anyone spending this kind of money on a car not to purchase GAP, its a no brainer really.
      09-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #31
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@delvek
Indeed it is a part of life! It doesn't bother me any more it did for a while! But its only metal at the end of the day and can be replaced!

Yep if you buy a non dealer GAP policy it can be good value and as you say if your spending a lot of money its silly not to get GAP.

Re the app
Interesting if you go to Itunes (Not the web link)
There is some interesting feedback on the BMW remote app.
Some say it works brilliantly some say it doesn't work at all.

One said it found his car on the map.
One said it didn't

Very interesting, I wonder if the person who said it found his car is making it up.
If this functionality really comes in, in October his car shouldn't do that yet!
There might be hope!

Does anyone on here have it working yet?

Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #32
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

You can control your car from any browser, no need to iphone
      09-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #33
Lukeswarm
Always Warm
United Kingdom
Rep

It's just an iPhone app, BMW, apple and google have a big love in going on. The app has two cars loaded, a seven series that seems to have all the functionality and a 5 that does all but you can't locate it... I think it's to do with sw versions in the car.

A note on gap insurance, although I understand needing it I am still bitter that insurance companies do not cover you, you are taking out insurance for your insurance. The quotes I have all replace the car in the first year like for like then a ever lowering number always linked to paying off your finance or so they say.

My car that was stolen was not a BMW it was an mg and the stole it by pulling out the fog light, yanking off the battery cable the jump starting it. The police Still took 3 days to find it even though it was right outside and they would have to drive past it daily to go in!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #34
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@MOCKBA,
I see what you mean, you can use the browswer on any phone, but can you do all of the functions?
If you can then that's great!
If you have an Iphone though I suspect the interface is a bit smoother from the app.

@Lukeswarm
Yep of course your right they are all very chummy
Acording to the app site your ment to be able to locate the 5 too.
Hopefully its software, although you would have thought they would have mentioned that on the app site.
So we all have to ask the dealer if there is a software update just after picking up the car I hope its an update, the dealer made a big thing about software could be updated. But the com box coms along and thats hardware.
I think the only way we will know of sure is to try it!

Apparently the registration for the assist services takes 3 days

http://www.bmw.co.uk/images/appform/..._with_logo.pdf

Dad has submited his already, so hopefully the app will work when he picks up the car.
If you havn't already you might want to fill in this form.

I am with you there on the insurance, I was surprised your normal car insurance policy didn't have a gap option.
They clearly don't want to pay out for a new car!
But you just go and get GAP from another supplier, all very strange, they are loosing out on potential revenue.

So they clearly knew what they were doing, oh dear I bet the police were embarrassed!

Fingers crossed you keep your F10 for a long time or as long as you want!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #35
conzone
@carninja
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I've been doing quite a bit of research on this myself over the past month and have been holding off on a new build waiting for the iPod Out and Connected Drive features to become available on BMW.

I found out a lot of new info on these features and what technology is supported in the new 'combox controller' that started showing up in builds after Sep '10 this past week.

If interested I'd been posting my notes thus far on combox controller, iPod Out & ConnectedDrive. and when it's all going to be available.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #36
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

the BMW connected app is now available for the iphone (check appstore) but currently doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #37
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeswarm View Post
A note on gap insurance, although I understand needing it I am still bitter that insurance companies do not cover you, you are taking out insurance for your insurance. The quotes I have all replace the car in the first year like for like then a ever lowering number always linked to paying off your finance or so they say.
Thing about that ... there are a lot of people out there buried in their cars because of poor decisions. The insurance company should not be liable for that but if they offered GAP they would be. So say I owe 85k on my 550i and it get stolen and its only worth 65k, well why should I expect the insurance company to pay for that?!?! Fact is, they wont and they shouldnt, if you want to protect yourself for any negative equity situation whether its nominal or tens of thousands, get GAP!

Also, the reason why most leinholders offer it is because its THEIR money thats on the line.